U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-04-2010, 10:48 AM

20,274 posts, read 18,867,263 times

Advertisements

Penn doing non-German beers is great news for me personally, since I like drinking local but I am not a huge fan of most German beers.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 11:32 AM

8,884 posts, read 7,799,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Penn doing non-German beers is great news for me personally, since I like drinking local but I am not a huge fan of most German beers.
While I do think Penn's pils is one of the best, they would be severely limiting their market in the fast growing craft segment by not making an ale (esp a pale ale)as I imagine there are a lot of folks just like yourself. I do like East End but I'm curious to try Penn's pale. Yard's Philly Pale is one of my favorite summer beers around.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:19 PM

1,505 posts, read 1,255,551 times
Same here...I'm a pale ale guy. I love the concept of Penn Brewery and what they do, but I'm really pleased they're branching out. I hope this is a good sign of what's to come from them!

Old 01-04-2010, 12:46 PM

Ironically a Pale Ale would be way down the list of beers I would like to see them do, because so many other people do them--but of course undoubtedly that is because they have a huge market.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Ironically a Pale Ale would be way down the list of beers I would like to see them do, because so many other people do them--but of course undoubtedly that is because they have a huge market.
you gotta start somewhere and a solid, reliable pale ale is a great place to start. what kind of beers are you interested in? belgian? porters?

Old 01-04-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
you gotta start somewhere and a solid, reliable pale ale is a great place to start. what kind of beers are you interested in? belgian? porters?
Yeah, I tend to gravitate to Belgians, stouts, bitters, winter warmers, Scotch Ales . . . I also like weizen beers of all sorts.

I should note I don't hate pale ales, but I just drank so many of them back in the day I kinda burned out on them--with the exception of double/Imperial IPAs, which I still find fun.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I tend to gravitate to Belgians, stouts, bitters, winter warmers, Scotch Ales . . . I also like weizen beers of all sorts.

I should note I don't hate pale ales, but I just drank so many of them back in the day I kinda burned out on them--with the exception of double/Imperial IPAs, which I still find fun.
if I'm at a baseball game or on a porch on a hot summer day, I want a pale, a little bite, but not a lot. I can't take all the DIPA's and beers that smack you across the face and drag you across the room with the hops. I'm from the opposite corner though. I've had a lot of super hopped beers in my time. my hometown is chock full of belgians and IPA's (Philadelphia drinks more belgian beer than belgium). that said, in Pitt, I'd like to see more variety and I think there's room for a great Pitt pale, I too would like to see a little more belgian styles, winter warmers. not a big stout guy though I do like founder's breakfast stout out of michigan. I think Germany lives off it's reputation, their beer purity law has suffocated the beer scene IMO, and tiny belgium has stolen a lot of their thunder. heck, it's not even all of belgium, just the beer drinking north. the US is now a premier beer country, I think, in large part to the absence of stifling tradition.

Old 01-04-2010, 02:20 PM

I agree the Reinheitsgebot law/tradition has been a net negative for German beers--of course this is practically a given, since by favorite German styles (weizens) flagrantly violate the Reinheitsgebot.

Speaking of which, my hot summer day beer is likely to be a weizen of some sort. These days, I'll most just drink pale ales when having certain sorts of food (I like them with spicey food and beef dishes like a hamburger).

Old 02-01-2010, 11:06 AM

wasn't sure whether this thread or the downtown population thread was more appropriate but I thought this was interesting
Quote:
While searching for the next restaurant location, Jeff Walewski realized his favorite beverage, Belgian beer, was in short supply Downtown.
“I see the wine bars opening up and mojitios, and all these little boutique restaurants,” Walewski said. “I figured this would be a good place for us.”
That place is the Cultural District, where Walewski is hammering out a few minor details on a final lease to open a new Sharp Edge Bistro at 922 Penn Ave. in a 5,600-square-foot location a short walk from both the David L. Lawrence Convention Center and the neighborhood’s mix of theaters. It is expected to employ about 30 and open in June.
Cultural District the choice for fifth Sharp Edge location - Pittsburgh Business Times:

Old 02-01-2010, 11:10 AM

13,194 posts, read 10,851,060 times
Oh, wow. That's great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh