Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 06:47 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,190,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I think this applies to us. We live in a tiny, homely house with a pretty nice, but small yard and two hyper dogs. At the end of our street is a city park and school yard to exercise the dogs and to let our son play. Also there is a bike path very close for walking, biking, and I am within walking distance of anything in our town, even wilderness trails heading up into the mountains. So, although my personal holding is small, I feel I have access to many more places to walk and jog than someone living out in the country on 5 acres, where the only places to walk without driving is a country road with no shoulder. So, paradoxically, I have found many rural residential areas would be more limiting to our lifestyle than our own neighborhood. I should add we live in a small, beautifully situated town, surrounded by public lands, so access to the outdoors is almost limitless, even though we live in town. I guess our town would fit your model of condensed rural city/ township, but it is so nice it has attracted wealthy exurbanites, essentially forcing locals to commute in from the cheaper rural residential areas.
Well-said, well-articulated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 07:28 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,760,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
This is a symptom of the fact that for various reasons we have simply underbuilt such areas relative to the potential demand. Really, there is no reason developing such areas should be particularly expensive--just the opposite, in fact. So if prices are getting out of control--as they are in many such cases--that means the supply is being artificially restricted in one way or another.
Well, perhaps. Oregon has well-known planning laws to limit sprawl and protect farm and forestland, so there are some supply restrictions. and paradoxically, many people do like to crowd into the nicest areas, like folks crowd into the kitchen at a college party. And the exurban immigrants are often looking for specific combinations of amenities, like large amounts of public land nearby, but a nice urban core with coffee shops, fine dining, etc., so they crowd into adjoining towns with growth restrictions. In the far West, I think many of us are afraid to do anything too "nice," such as establishment of a light rail system, etc., because it would cause an overwhelming land rush from California that would bury us and change our lifestyle forever. The "Roving Eye of Sauron" of California (or NYC, Bos-Wash) RE equity is something to hide from, IMO. Look at the Triangle Area, it is being invaded as we speak.

That said, I personally hope the Redding area in N. California does urbanize. It has the area of a metropolis now, but is low density sprawl with little urban design.

Your situation in the Burgh is very unique, with unused urban capacity. I really do hope a substantial number of people move to such places rather than building more sprawlopolises across the country.

Old 11-21-2009, 10:16 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
By the way, courtesy of the CEO for Cities blog, here is the 2010 Emerging Trends in Real Estate from the Urban Land Institute and PricewaterhouseCoopers:

http://www.uli.org/~/media/Documents...ergTrends.ashx

It documents the likelihood of poor development prospects overall for the next few years, but in the report you can also find analysis like this:

Quote:
Next-generation projects will orient to infill, urbanizing suburbs, and transit-oriented development. Smaller housing units-close to mass transit, work, and 24-hour amenities-gain favor over large houses on big lots at the suburban edge. People will continue to seek greater convenience and want to reduce energy expenses. Shorter commutes and smaller heating bills make up for higher infill real estate costs. . . . Buy or Hold Multifamily. “It’s the only place with a hint of hope, because of demographic demand.” . . . Locations near transit corridors are prime. . . . Home in on “infill sites in top markets,” but be careful of fringe locations.

Old 11-21-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
By the way, courtesy of the CEO for Cities blog, here is the 2010 Emerging Trends in Real Estate from the Urban Land Institute and PricewaterhouseCoopers:

http://www.uli.org/~/media/Documents...ergTrends.ashx

It documents the likelihood of poor development prospects overall for the next few years, but in the report you can also find analysis like this:

This is interesting. I agree with the general predictions that concentration will be highly desirable, but don't yet see the evidence. It is kind of like predicting in 1990 that Americans would be driving smaller cars and driving less, building smaller, building more economical homes, and recycling more. Well, one out of three ain't bad, but....

It will be interesting to see when these forces, which should have begun decades ago overcome the natural desire of the American middle class to have more space and possessions than their parents.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:13 PM

Ahmm...I guess I'll bump up this thread. Don't know a better one for Fiddlehead...

But, so how is the ol' job search going? Does it look like a NC move or possibly a PA move...or a 'staying in OR'...

Old 12-02-2009, 07:17 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,712,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Ahmm...I guess I'll bump up this thread. Don't know a better one for Fiddlehead...

But, so how is the ol' job search going? Does it look like a NC move or possibly a PA move...or a 'staying in OR'...
My money's on 'staying in OR'. There, I said it. It's just that people rarely leave that area. Hopefully it's PA, though. If we're not talking money.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:24 PM

Yeah, I think his heart is in PA over NC. But, that being said, trying to target a job IN Pittsburgh over whichever other job out there...that gets tougher.

I don't think he'll stay in OR though. I think Oregon is a great state...but housing situation there is a disaster. Particularly where he is at...hence, I think is part of the reason he is looking at other parts of the country...a 'quality of life' issue...I think anyways. Although, yeah, the quality of life in Oregon is REALLY good...just don't know if it's worth the financial costs though.

I think getting a JOB in Pittsburgh is the REAL issue...if he was offered one, I think he'd take it. But that's the BIG 'IF', I think. Well, if he was offered, he'd probably fly out, look around, and then see if it matches to do the real comparison. Things are really different once something is offered.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:30 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,712,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Yeah, I think his heart is in PA over NC. But, that being said, trying to target a job IN Pittsburgh over whichever other job out there...that gets tougher.

I don't think he'll stay in OR though. I think Oregon is a great state...but housing situation there is a disaster. Particularly where he is at...hence, I think is part of the reason he is looking at other parts of the country...a 'quality of life' issue...I think anyways. Although, yeah, the quality of life in Oregon is REALLY good...just don't know if it's worth the financial costs though.

I think getting a JOB in Pittsburgh is the REAL issue...if he was offered one, I think he'd take it. But that's the BIG 'IF', I think. Well, if he was offered, he'd probably fly out, look around, and then see if it matches to do the real comparison. Things are really different once something is offered.
I was just trying to light a fire under him.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
I was just trying to light a fire under him.
Well-done

Old 12-02-2009, 10:39 PM

Just put the kid to bed. Interesting to check in and hear one's future being debated..!

Well, here's the scoop. Plenty of fire over here in Oregon! I applied for a job at Pitt one month ago. No news. That is not really unusual for academic jobs, but not encouraging either. Truth is, the odds are so against one landing any single position (1/30 to 1/200) one must keep the ego and hopes on a short leash. That said, I put in a smokin' good application, and I have thrown myself into learning about the Burgh. I have sent all my best karmic energy that way, and for good measure have had a great time on the board. It definitely seems like a fascinating place with my kind of mojo! The chips will fall where they fall.

You are both right about a few things. I am more attracted to Pittsburgh than Chapel Hill (applied there last week), without question. Something just feels right about the Burgh. But UNC Chapel Hill is world class and nothing to reject out-of-hand. Cannot yet say how I weigh in on Oregon vs. PA. I think they are both great, from what I can gather. The housing to wages ratio in Ashland, Oregon, where I live now is indeed horrendous, and I want to projectile vomit at all the poseurs at times, but I have good friends here and it is a beautiful place. Pittsburgh appeals, in part, because it has many things we like (woods, trails, parks), and some wonderful educational, cultural resources for my son, and I feel we can get ahead of the game in the Burgh, whereas it will be a sustained uphill struggle here. I am old enough that 10-20 years of working and actually saving is very important. We have been treading water too long. Also, I have worked many years as an environmental professional, and I feel would like to share my experience / mentor students at the university. I have gathered that there is a great need for conservation work/research in the W. PA area.

Since I am in a pretty good situation now, to leave I would have to feel "right" about Pittburgh, Pitt, and our place there.

Bottom line: I am open to whatever shakes out. I have no idea where I will be in 2 years. Unusual for me, because I always have a plan. And it is usually built around checking out some supercool place that has captured my attention. Pittsburgh definitely fits the bill. However, research and academic jobs are a crapshoot, so one does not have the flexibility that you do in other fields. If I get an interview, and and offer, my wife's preferences, and family considerations will also come into play...so for now I'll just keep goofing off on this board!

Howz about you Tiger Beer? You have the world at your feet. Is Pittsburgh still a finalist?

Last edited by Fiddlehead; 12-02-2009 at 11:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh