U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-16-2009, 01:40 AM
 
Location: Pluto's Home Town
9,986 posts, read 12,368,087 times
Reputation: 5645

Advertisements

Given that Pittsburgh has been labeled as low in self-esteem, I propose a contest to help remind you of how your life could be worse or better.. Think of a few of your favorite (or most loathed) features of Pittsburgh and describe the city that is its antithesis.

I'll start. Mine is San Jose, California. Nestled on the southern edge of the San Francisco Bay. It was no more than 70 thousand people by the 1950s but took off as a bedroom community and tech heaven, eventually exceeding 900 thousand soils in complete suburban harmony. It is also in the Silicon Valley, with a median home price of about $670k in 2007, due to the double-bubble of dot.com and real estate (eat yer heart out..). Such a rapid growth in the latter half of the 20th century yielded a rich array of sprawling neighborhoods, with car-dependent burbs arrayed in decreasing prices all the way into the central valley two hours away. It is a bedroom city that outgrew its "city" of San Francisco, kind of like a European cuckoo chick when fed by a Reed Warbler. It is now a sprawling, sundrenched,tech-loaded paradise that you Pittsburgherese can only dream about. Imagine the growth, the sun, the stock options..! The time has never been better for you to move from your city and live the California life in a distinctive and gracious California ranch home like this:

6568 Springpath Lane, San Jose CA - Trulia

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-16-2009, 03:55 AM
 
Location: Hell with the lid off, baby!
2,193 posts, read 5,384,447 times
Reputation: 380
No wonder this country is going down the tubes. $850,000, for that!!! Depending on what neighborhood, town or area you lived in and/or around Pittsburgh, that house would go for anywhere between $10,000 to $70,000
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2009, 04:24 AM
 
331 posts, read 618,904 times
Reputation: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugdogmaster View Post
No wonder this country is going down the tubes. $850,000, for that!!! Depending on what neighborhood, town or area you lived in and/or around Pittsburgh, that house would go for anywhere between $10,000 to $70,000
Come on now, Pittsburgh ain't that cheap. That house was built in 1978, not like in Pittsburgh's 1878 . Plus that house is 2000 sq ft, and was detached. No way are you getting a home like that in Pittsburgh for 10 grand. It'd be a lot older an in some messed up hood like Garfield or something.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2009, 05:45 AM
 
20,273 posts, read 29,974,561 times
Reputation: 2898
Another California nomination: the Inland Empire. Arguably the worst example of suburban sprawl in the country with unending vistas of shoddily built homes on big lots, poor educational attainment stats, low wage jobs (particularly when adjusted for cost-of-living), rapidly rising foreclosures, congestion, hyper-long commutes, smog, little in the way of cultural institutions . . . yuck all around from my perspective.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2009, 08:07 AM
 
Location: somewhere near Pittsburgh, PA
1,444 posts, read 3,411,191 times
Reputation: 1639
I'll throw my old hometown of Orlando, FL into the mix.

Nicknamed "The City Beautiful", Orlando is nestled in the center of the Sunshine State, where it can absorb all the heat from the Florida sun and offer 6 months straight of 90+ degree temps and high humidity, allowing it's residents the pleasant feel of living in a sticky swamp, like the city's original inhabitants, the alligator.

Since the Florida sunshine is so desireable, employers in the Orlando area even "pay you in sunshine", as the saying goes, as it helps them cut costs by offering some of the lowest wages in the country. Due to very low wages and the burst of the housing bubble, people down there can now enjoy the sunshine even more, as they can no longer afford that annoying roof over their head that blocked the sunlight.

As for scenery, it's not called "The City Beautiful" for nothing. Orlando offers endless miles of strip malls and suburban developments with cookie-cutter beige houses with brown roofs. Since every street looks just like the next, you can feel at home no matter where you are in the area. You're never too far from a Chili's or Applebees, what more could anyone ask for? And there are no annoying hills to get in the way of your view of suburbia, since the local landfill is the highest point in the city. On a clear night, you can often hear the fireworks from Walt Disney World, not to be mistaken for the gunshots often heard nightly in the area. Since Orlando is often ranked near the top in "Most Dangerous Cities", there are always violent crimes in the area to keep you on your toes and your adreneline up, great for thrill-seekers everywhere.

As for getting around Orlando, the area offers some of the smoothest roadways in the country, with no potholes. You just have to remember the rules of driving in Orlando - if you are not going 20mph over the speed limit, you will get tailgated, flipped off or shot. If you hit another car or pedestrian, do not stop. No one does. Who want's to be the person that gets a ticket? Orlandoans take pride in their titles of "Most Angry City" and "Most Dangerous City For Pedestrians", and it shows on the roadways.

I could go on, but you get the idea. Orlando is clearly a paradise that everyone should move to, otherwise your life has no meaning.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2009, 08:29 AM
 
Location: Hell with the lid off, baby!
2,193 posts, read 5,384,447 times
Reputation: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwanderer View Post
Come on now, Pittsburgh ain't that cheap. That house was built in 1978, not like in Pittsburgh's 1878 . Plus that house is 2000 sq ft, and was detached. No way are you getting a home like that in Pittsburgh for 10 grand. It'd be a lot older an in some messed up hood like Garfield or something.
I did also say town or area around Pittsburgh, as well, in my first statement. And I have seen very similar homes around Pittsburgh priced at 10k.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2009, 08:45 AM
 
43,012 posts, read 97,919,296 times
Reputation: 30515
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugdogmaster View Post
I did also say town or area around Pittsburgh, as well, in my first statement. And I have seen very similar homes around Pittsburgh priced at 10k.
Thank God there aren't many. Let's equate it to the split level which you can get for 100k to 200k almost anywhere.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2009, 09:30 AM
 
Location: Pluto's Home Town
9,986 posts, read 12,368,087 times
Reputation: 5645
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Another California nomination: the Inland Empire. Arguably the worst example of suburban sprawl in the country with unending vistas of shoddily built homes on big lots, poor educational attainment stats, low wage jobs (particularly when adjusted for cost-of-living), rapidly rising foreclosures, congestion, hyper-long commutes, smog, little in the way of cultural institutions . . . yuck all around from my perspective.

Nice nomination! Even San Jose has some amenities and tech jobs. The Inland Empire was intended to provide tons of overpriced homes and soul-crushing commutes for the masses, "Scorpion Estates...starting from the low 400s"....!
Though I do feel prices had dropped a bit lately in that neck of the woods....Perhaps an asteroid will finish the job.

Last edited by Fiddlehead; 11-16-2009 at 09:45 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2009, 09:34 AM
 
Location: Morgantown, WV
989 posts, read 2,046,032 times
Reputation: 978
You already beat me to San Jose and California in general...sooooo, I'm going with Detroit!!!

Detroit: A city that experienced its hey-day around the same time as us, has a similar older/historical vibe, similar cost of living, same type of main industry fallout, etc...yet it obviously hasn't aged anywhere near as well as we have, or managed itself as nicely as we have. If Pittsburgh is an example of an older city that has held up well over the years, then Detroit is the perfect example of an older city that has basically decayed to the point of no return.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2009, 09:39 AM
 
Location: Pluto's Home Town
9,986 posts, read 12,368,087 times
Reputation: 5645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
I'll throw my old hometown of Orlando, FL into the mix.

Nicknamed "The City Beautiful", Orlando is nestled in the center of the Sunshine State, where it can absorb all the heat from the Florida sun and offer 6 months straight of 90+ degree temps and high humidity, allowing it's residents the pleasant feel of living in a sticky swamp, like the city's original inhabitants, the alligator.

Since the Florida sunshine is so desireable, employers in the Orlando area even "pay you in sunshine", as the saying goes, as it helps them cut costs by offering some of the lowest wages in the country. Due to very low wages and the burst of the housing bubble, people down there can now enjoy the sunshine even more, as they can no longer afford that annoying roof over their head that blocked the sunlight.

As for scenery, it's not called "The City Beautiful" for nothing. Orlando offers endless miles of strip malls and suburban developments with cookie-cutter beige houses with brown roofs. Since every street looks just like the next, you can feel at home no matter where you are in the area. You're never too far from a Chili's or Applebees, what more could anyone ask for? And there are no annoying hills to get in the way of your view of suburbia, since the local landfill is the highest point in the city. On a clear night, you can often hear the fireworks from Walt Disney World, not to be mistaken for the gunshots often heard nightly in the area. Since Orlando is often ranked near the top in "Most Dangerous Cities", there are always violent crimes in the area to keep you on your toes and your adreneline up, great for thrill-seekers everywhere.

As for getting around Orlando, the area offers some of the smoothest roadways in the country, with no potholes. You just have to remember the rules of driving in Orlando - if you are not going 20mph over the speed limit, you will get tailgated, flipped off or shot. If you hit another car or pedestrian, do not stop. No one does. Who want's to be the person that gets a ticket? Orlandoans take pride in their titles of "Most Angry City" and "Most Dangerous City For Pedestrians", and it shows on the roadways.

I could go on, but you get the idea. Orlando is clearly a paradise that everyone should move to, otherwise your life has no meaning.
A finalist!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:50 PM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top