Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 06:38 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,605,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
Hopefully the new store will relieve some of the crowding at the East Liberty store. Not so bad on weekdays, but on weekends they come in from far and wide to shop there.
I doubt it. I think only a small percentage of shoppers make the trip from the suburbs regularly.

I only go to the trouble when a family member needs a temporary special diet. If it was more convenient, I'd shop there weekly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 05:48 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,596,238 times
Is this the same shopping center where Record Rama was located?

Old 11-20-2009, 08:07 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,532,157 times
I don't believe Record Rama was ever located there, but I'm not sure. I know of only two locations that Record Rama was in: over the post office on McKnight Road (which is where it was when I moved here) and in a plaza on Perrysville Ave just north of Three Degree Rd. It's possible there was a location in between I was not aware of. For a while after he left the PO I was not aware of what he was doing. I had already slowed my CD purchasing to only a handful by then and had figured perhaps that he went out of business when instead he only had a lease disagreement with the PO.

Anyway, Wexford Plaza is some miles north of that Perrysville plaza (I don't remember that one's name), past where McKnight comes in, up the hill, in the "Wexford Flats". At one end is Rite Aid (an old Eckerd, which in turn is an old Thrift Drug). At the other end used to be Festival Foods, which before that was Food4Less, but that space has just in the last couple weeks reopened with Levin Furniture.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:16 PM

What ever happened to Festival Foods? I went to the one at McIntyre once or twice. There were things I liked about it but it closed before I could make it part of my routine.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:31 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,532,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
What ever happened to Festival Foods? I went to the one at McIntyre once or twice. There were things I liked about it but it closed before I could make it part of my routine.
It's a franchise brand. Looks like brand is owned by SuperValu (also Shop n Save among various others). There's evidence of independent chains or single stores in other areas that use the brand (Wisconsin, Minnesota). I don't know who actually owned the store up in Wexford.

I don't remember them actually putting one in McIntyre Square. I mean, right next to the Giant Eagle? Seems odd. Was it in the old Phar-Mor building? That was one huge Phar-Mor. (Is that still Gabriels or Gabriel Brothers now? I can't remember which. They're actually two different chains, or used to be.)

Old 11-20-2009, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
I don't remember them actually putting one in McIntyre Square. I mean, right next to the Giant Eagle? Seems odd. Was it in the old Phar-Mor building? That was one huge Phar-Mor. (Is that still Gabriels or Gabriel Brothers now? I can't remember which. They're actually two different chains, or used to be.)
Yeah, that's where it was! I can't say if Gabes is still there or not. I haven't been to that shopping center in a few years. I think it might be.

Old 11-21-2009, 02:29 AM

1,104 posts, read 2,578,600 times
I believe Scozio owned the Festival Foods up in Wexford. He owned the Festival store in Penn Township, which has since been converted into a Giant Eagle.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:57 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,596,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
I don't believe Record Rama was ever located there, but I'm not sure. I know of only two locations that Record Rama was in: over the post office on McKnight Road (which is where it was when I moved here) and in a plaza on Perrysville Ave just north of Three Degree Rd. It's possible there was a location in between I was not aware of. For a while after he left the PO I was not aware of what he was doing. I had already slowed my CD purchasing to only a handful by then and had figured perhaps that he went out of business when instead he only had a lease disagreement with the PO.

Anyway, Wexford Plaza is some miles north of that Perrysville plaza (I don't remember that one's name), past where McKnight comes in, up the hill, in the "Wexford Flats". At one end is Rite Aid (an old Eckerd, which in turn is an old Thrift Drug). At the other end used to be Festival Foods, which before that was Food4Less, but that space has just in the last couple weeks reopened with Levin Furniture.
OK. It must not be the same plaza. I must be thinking of the Perrysville Ave. locale.

Tx

Old 11-22-2009, 12:09 PM

261 posts, read 1,296,335 times
Yes, Gabriels is still there. It's Gabriel Brothers (or that's what's on the bags).

I am so looking forward to having a Whole Foods up here. Now all we need is a Trader Joes and I'll be set. My husband isn't so inspired though due to the expense. Oh well.

Old 11-22-2009, 02:38 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,484,922 times
I was just at Giant Eagle Market District at Settlers Ridge in Robinson... has anyone else been there? It was great! I got coupons in the mail and got about $40 worth of stuff for $16 with the coupons... talking sushi, fresh pastries, t-bone steaks... I was impressed and they definitely suckered me in and I'll be returning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh