Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 06:01 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times

Advertisements

Do they have any funding in place for this redevelopment? A lot of this discussion is the same things over and over, but I can't recall discussing that.

I still come at this from the point of, once you take it down, it's gone, and there are no guarantees that anything magical will happen on that spot. I still believe it's most likely that it's taken down, someone works on reconnecting the street grid, and then nothing else happens for a decade.

I really don't have a problem with it going. I have a problem with it going to be empty space. Sadly, I think that won't really hold any water because the financial considerations would dictate demolition ASAP (cheaper than upkeep).

Don't be surprised when it takes forever for any of this proposed development to appear, especially if there is no funding already arranged. We're still in a period where financing is likely to be tight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 09:47 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
Does anyone know if the master plan of the Pen's and developer has any mass transit links associated with the deal ?
I've seen (and posted here) the Pen's master plan, and it didn't include any mass transit. It is a tough area because of the slope/Hill.

Quote:
Given this property is really the gateway to downtown from the eastern environs, might not transit be worked into the project from points east ( spine line, oakland, elib, wburg )
I like your thinking, but unfortunately the likely path to Oakland and points beyond would be through the Bluff/Uptown. They've long discussed a tunnel through the Hill, but that is the most costly option.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Do they have any funding in place for this redevelopment? A lot of this discussion is the same things over and over, but I can't recall discussing that.
The Pens have the development rights, and of course they have money. But I'm not sure they have earmarked anything in particular yet. The only specific number I recall seeing is they were looking to get $28 million in fed money for redoing the streets.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:52 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
of course they have money

Sounds like a HUGE assumption. Something on this scale, into the many tens of millions of dollars, requires a bunch of financing. What I'm reading is "It's a wealthy sports franchise, of course they have money." Even if they have some cash in the bank, they don't just open the bank account. They need reserves for lean times, etc.

Now if you were saying "They have a financing package already in place", specifically for the upcoming development, then you'd be onto something. But that does not appear to be what you are saying. Correct me if I am wrong.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:14 PM

The current Penguins ownership is basically Lemieux and Ron Burkle. Burkle has a net worth somewhere around $3.5 billion, I believe. So yeah, it is a bit of an assumption, but I am pretty sure if Burkle wanted to put up something on the scale of tens of millions, he easily could.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:38 PM

570 posts, read 1,411,243 times
Market will dictate which direction they go with development. MR Burkle is a smart bizz guy and I'm sure none of those office buildings will go up unless he feels they will fill them. I know some inside folks with the Pens and they have a love affair with Columbus Ohio's Nationwide arena district. A blend of entertainment, retail and office development. Columbus Ohio Arts + Entertainment | Arena District | Downtown Columbus Ohio

Old 05-19-2010, 06:40 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
I predict when they tear down the Civic Arena it will be a parking lot for quite a while.

Old 05-20-2010, 04:26 AM

Here are some pictures of the Columbus Arena District:

Columbus' Arena District at UrbanUp by Sherman Cahal

Not too bad--although I hope the Penguins do stick with the plan of having some 10-12 story buildings toward the Downtown side.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:08 PM

22 posts, read 80,030 times
The roof has open many times over the years and if everyone would not try to steal my video of the civic arena grand opening I would post it on you tube or something and it shows the dome opening and I have it all on film and DVD as well. I know it's not posted anywhere now I had youtube remove it 2 years ago for not protecting my copy right laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh