Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 08:40 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times

Advertisements

Well, he is a Republican.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:00 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,755,730 times
Personally, I think HOAs are an abomination from hell. A bunch of suburban zombies so obsessed with property values and equity returns that they will micromanage each other until everyone drives the same SUV, has the same gas bbq grills, and the same yard pavers and windchimes. As if they live in anything but a bloodless, forgettable suburb. They spoof them pretty well in the movie "Over the Hedge."

Old 11-21-2009, 01:15 AM

369 posts, read 2,164,830 times
AWESOME replies.. keep it up!!!

and HOA's are sucky, but I can understand why they have them around here.. A lot of the non hoa neighborhoods are down right hideous.. It seems like not to many people actually take pride in their homes around here.. If your not all up on their ass about taking care of their property, it goes downhill... FAST. The bad thing about HOA's are the high fee's.. I see it as a double tax. It's too bad!

Old 11-21-2009, 05:14 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
Part of the problem is that local municipalities have been cutting back on their provision of public services and amenities and relying on HOAs instead to provide those things. That helps explain why HOA assessments keep spiraling up, and why non-HOA developments in some areas are relatively sucky (if they exist at all--some municipalities basically won't grant development rights absent an HOA that will do most of their job for them).

Old 11-21-2009, 06:01 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,277,527 times
Beg to differ with Hopes. there a lot of lakes within an hour or less from Pgh.----http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2292743/the_best_places_to_fish_in_the_pittsburgh.html

Old 11-21-2009, 07:04 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Unlike other areas of the country, our property values aren't determined by the house next door.

In Allegheny County, comparables can be a quarter to a half mile away.
That may be true, but try selling your house if the one next to you is a dump with cars parked in the front yard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
If you love intrusive local government and think that whole constitutional rights thing is way overrated, HOAs are for you.
You have a choice to live there or not, it's that simple.

Quote:
I've heard horror stories where an HOA took property simply for not making an HOA required repair to their home.

If the HOA decides that the neighborhood needs new sidewalks, EVERYONE must install sidewalks even if the neighborhood doesn't need new sidewalks.

I'm just amazed that anyone buys houses in these HOA neighborhoods, but I understand that it's the norm in many parts of the country.
I'd like to hear the specifics of that case.

As to the sidewalks, again, you're generalizing, the money is usually allocated from the building fund.

HOA neighborhoods are fairly standard in Cranberry. Someone has to pay for the playgrounds, entrance signs, and foliage.

Quote:
But maybe Copanut plans to be President of his HOA!
Served for 8 years on the board, 2 as VP, I will not run if nominated, will not serve if elected. I enjoyed my time on the board, I like getting involved in my neighborhood. And the wam was great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
It is true that if you have always secretly admired the life of Soviet apparatchiks, then aspiring to be an HOA officer may be a rational goal.
a member, esp. an official, of a Communist Party

Are you talking to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Personally, I think HOAs are an abomination from hell. A bunch of suburban zombies so obsessed with property values and equity returns that they will micromanage each other until everyone drives the same SUV, has the same gas bbq grills,
So many on this board talk about people moving into the Strip and living Downtown. Guess what, they are ALL condos and lofts being built. The south side townhouse, all PUDs with monthly fees. Show me one detached property being built Dowtown, the Strip, or SouthSide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench Warmer View Post
The bad thing about HOA's are the high fee's.. I see it as a double tax. It's too bad!
What do you consider high? My condo fee is 165/month, which includes all exterior maintenance. Have you painted your house or put on a new roof lately? What's your time worth when cutting grass or raking leaves?

I wonder how many of you have ever lived in a cond/PUD, you all seem to be experts on the subject.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench Warmer View Post
A lot of the non hoa neighborhoods are down right hideous.. It seems like not to many people actually take pride in their homes around here.. If your not all up on their ass about taking care of their property, it goes downhill... FAST.
Maybe you won't like Pittsburgh afterall. Our housing stock is much older than out west. And MOST Pittsburghers don't really care about how their neighbors take care of property as long as they're not collecting junk or letting their grass grow super high. People from the west who come here house hunting often complain about the outdated interiors, old kitchens, etc. Pittsburgh isnt' filled with manicured neighborhoods---especially in your price range. I'm just being honest. You'll need to come see for yourself.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
That may be true, but try selling your house if the one next to you is a dump with cars parked in the front yard.
We have laws for that sort of thing.

Quote:
I wonder how many of you have ever lived in a cond/PUD, you all seem to be experts on the subject.
HOA's for condos make sense because everyone is sharing the same building. HOA's don't make sense for neighborhoods with single family homes.

Quote:
I'd like to hear the specifics of that case.
I'll see if I can find it this weekend. You're right, it wasn't the sidewalk. I can't remember the specifics but I was shocked the HOA seized the home for whatever it was. I'll find it.

Quote:
HOA neighborhoods are fairly standard in Cranberry. Someone has to pay for the playgrounds, entrance signs, and foliage.
Foliage? Cranberry was developed in wooded areas. I sure hope you're not talking about the pre-approved landscaping!

Quote:
HOA's make sense for condos since they share the same building. I'm opposed to HOA's for single family home developments.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
Beg to differ with Hopes. there a lot of lakes within an hour or less from Pgh.----http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2292743/the_best_places_to_fish_in_the_pittsburgh.html
I'm always glad to be proved wrong about something positive!

I know we have quite a few lakes. I just don't now how they compare to Washington or Massachusetts as far as accessibility.

A hour's drive might be what Fiddlehead is complaining about.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:36 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
I think part of this is that difference between a state where every inch is within a municipal entity (as in PA) where such things are regulated like any town may and a state where that is not the case. I don't know for sure, but I can't really imagine the large western states having this setup. Every inch of PA has some kind of town type government (township or borough) which will to greater or lesser degree regulate certain aspects of what can and can't happen to your house or in your yard.

That said, in the new construction developments (really any developments that involved laying out new roads within maybe the last 20-30 years), I would expect HOAs anyway, for a couple reasons. One is people buying in those places are apparently looking for that highly regulated neighborhood. Keep in mind there are quite a bit of varying degree as to what a HOA will do and not do, so this is not some consistent thing but really on a scale of what may be required at each individual house. Some are more lax, some are highly restrictive. But it is, as you say, political in the end and can be fraught with power grabs, etc. The other thing you have in a new "plan" as they call them around here (I dislike that term, don't think it's descriptive) is common areas that are not owned by the town. Some entity has to own these common areas and arrange for their upkeep. That's what Copanut was referring to in terms of foliage, playground, etc. Typically people buying into those developments aren't too interested in those common areas being public parks; they would rather them be for residents of that development only, as much as possible anyway. Thus, I don't think it is typical for the developers to try to give the common areas to the townships and have them do the upkeep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh