Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 11:57 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,676,883 times

Advertisements

Hello from Montana, may I invite you to the Let's Visit thread.
Friendly folks who shoot the breeze.

Old 11-22-2009, 12:43 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I didn't mean you. Scott's the one who named names.
I was just trying to cut Scott some slack. My thread could have been construed as invlting attacks or trash talk. I meant it in a much lighter hearted way than that.

Also, forgot to stick up for Scran-Barre. I enjoy his posts. I think he is a crack up, and just exuberant about Pittsburgh. Maybe Scott does too and is just having fun.

Let's call the whole thing off....

Old 11-22-2009, 06:27 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,703,575 times
Ok, so forgetting names, I will say, there is one person who lives locally but doesn't post here anymore that is literally very annoying in her responses about the City of Pittsburgh. I know she still posts on the website because I've caught up with her on other forums. It's apparent she is not native to the city and is miserable here. I don't believe she has started any posts but always refers to Pittsburgh in a doom and gloom manner and it's beyond annoying. She obviously lives near me on the east end of the city. It used to be anytime crime and the east end of the city were mentioned, she would unfairly characterize our neighborhood in with a couple of undesirable neighboring neighborhoods and paint a poor picture of our side of town.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
Ok, so forgetting names, I will say, there is one person who lives locally but doesn't post here anymore that is literally very annoying in her responses about the City of Pittsburgh. I know she still posts on the website because I've caught up with her on other forums. It's apparent she is not native to the city and is miserable here. I don't believe she has started any posts but always refers to Pittsburgh in a doom and gloom manner and it's beyond annoying. She obviously lives near me on the east end of the city. It used to be anytime crime and the east end of the city were mentioned, she would unfairly characterize our neighborhood in with a couple of undesirable neighboring neighborhoods and paint a poor picture of our side of town.

Interesting what motivates people to post. Some folks, understandably, are just seeking information about a place they cannot easily visit. Others have an axe to grind. Still others, and there are many like this out West, seek to talk trash about an area to scare off immigrants who are overrepresented or seem to be usurping the locals with their $$ (e.g., the anti-California threads and posts). I sometimes do that. Still others just want to talk about places and crack sarcastic jokes like at your local neighborhood pub.
I often do this. I started as a typically curious potential immigrant, but found the folks here to be so refreshingly funny and discussing such important issues in general, I keep hanging around.

I actually think the negative views of locals are pretty underrepresented here. I wonder why the person you mention is so negative? Out West, as I mention, relatively poor but well-educated folks resent wealthy exurban immigrants and can be counted upon for plenty of snark. In contrast, folks here are very helpful overall. Also, this board seems less politically divided than others, so we don't get in those boring political flamewars.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:58 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,703,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I wonder why the person you mention is so negative?

"Apparently", she was either mugged or robbed, and out of a metro population of 2.5 million people, her specific incident did not make headlines in the local media, so Pittsburgh is nothing but a crime ridden trash hole.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:40 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
In all fairness, I'd probably have a difficult time being unbiased if I were the victim of a violent crime.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
In all fairness, I'd probably have a difficult time being unbiased if I were the victim of a violent crime.
Beat me to it. I was thinking the same thing. Sounds like that person had more reason than most.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:41 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,712,700 times
Quote:
No worries Hopes (and Yac),

I had that coming. Though I will say it is not a very artful shot. Too easy.

I was not singling anyone out for scorn. I was just assuming people, like me and Tiger Beer, might frequent a number of boards, and have stumbled over something funny like that Montana thread. I don't know that Vermont person at all, but the thread was so absurd it cracked me up.

If pointing something out would mean personal flaming, I think it would be better if we just let this one fade.
Tiger Beer is the Jesus of City-Data. One touch of his or her mouse and long-dead threads come back to life.

Edit: sometimes I read these threads at work without signing in (unless I absolutely must) and I catch posts by jagoffs I have on ignore. Not Fiddlehead, or ScranBarre, or Tiger Beer, for what it's worth. Exuberance about Pittsburgh is hardly annoying. That is all.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
Tiger Beer is the Jesus of City-Data. One touch of his or her mouse and long-dead threads come back to life.
Hey, Tiger Beer loves searching the threads and digging up bones. What's wrong with that? I think it means...gasp... he knows how to use the search feature...

Jagoffs. Interesting surname...It that Polish, Slovak, Russian, Ukrainian?

Seems like we have a lot of them out here too. Perhaps they came out on the Oregon Trail. In any case, they seem to be particularly adept in politics and the real estate profession...

Old 11-25-2009, 12:22 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Hey, Tiger Beer loves searching the threads and digging up bones. What's wrong with that? I think it means...gasp... he knows how to use the search feature...
Heh heh...it is interesting as I have been accussed of bringing up too many old threads before on other forums!

However, I've often noticed starting new topics can get a 'use the search function!' response! I don't notice it on this forum, but certainly other forums!

Generally speaking though, there is a ton of very interesting information buried in these threads!

In the Pittsburgh Forum, occassionally I research Pittsburgh neighborhoods, as you can only see names come up so often before you start to get curious about it, and I use the search function to gather information. Sometimes in bumping up an old thread I can gather new and additional information, plus I can masquerade myself.

If I start a ton of new threads about different neighborhoods, someone is bound to do the 'stop asking about them, and choose already!' or other response...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh