Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 03:44 PM

128 posts, read 201,345 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating to Pittsburgh in early January to start a new job that is located in Sewickley (Wexford Rd/I-79 interchange), but I don't want to live up there. I am looking for something in the city, preferrably East End, but having read a lot of threads about a lot of neighborhoods it seems to me that there are a many viable options to choose from. To complicate matters it will be difficult, if not impossible, for me to get up to the city in time to see places in person.

Some background about me: I'm turning 30 next month, gay, and in a long term relationship (the reason I'm moving, more on that later). I'm looking for a 1 BR, reasonable (under 900/mo. w/ utilities, off street parking a big plus), in a safe neighborhood with good nearby amenities (shopping, gym, parks, night life, etc.). My partner works and lives in Indiana, PA, but we'll be getting a place together later next year so I'm just looking for something good to get me through until then and save up for a down payment. He moved up last month to start his new job, mine doesn't start until January and Indiana is too long of a commute for me! I chose the East End to both be in the city and be a straight shot out 376/22 to Indiana.

Given this what neighborhoods should I be concentrating in? Casting a wide net is getting me no where, there's just too much out there for me to be able to sort through. What areas should I avoid and what sort of red flags should I be on the lookout for? Who are the reputable management companies vs. the slumlords? I'd like to be away from undergraduate student areas as much as possible.

I've lived in small college towns my entire life so moving on up to the Big City is something new for me. Any help and tips long time Pittsburghers can give me will be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 04:17 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times
Go to Craigslist and use these search terms:

Shadyside
East Liberty
Lawrenceville
Point Breeze
Squirrel Hill (nearest to 376, but it'll be a longer drive to work)

pittsburgh apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

If you have questions, please ask.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:56 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Hello from one gay young professional about to move to the city to another! I, too, am partially moving to the Steel City to pursue romance, so you're definitely in good company!

In addition to Jay's excellent suggestions I'd also do a search for Friendship, which is a neighborhood with a Victorian flair not far at all from Bloomfield, East Liberty, or Shadyside. I just snagged a place in Polish Hill, but rentals there are very difficult to come across. Shadyside is probably Pittsburgh's gay epicenter with at least two (three?) LGBT-oriented night clubs/bars along a short stretch of Ellsworth Street. Lawrenceville has an artsy, hipster, bohemian vibe to it and is also an LGBT-oriented haven.

Also be advised that there are some rougher parts of East Liberty (albeit I would not write off the entire neighborhood---gentrification is well underway).

Old 11-23-2010, 05:03 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
Just a couple notes to help you get around:

The office could have a Sewickley mailing address there (if on the west side of I-79), but if it's at I-79 and Wexford-Bayne Rd calling it Sewickley will end up mainly with you confused if you're trying to get (or give) directions or such. It can just be Wexford, or Franklin Park if you want to get technical (it's likely in Franklin Park borough).

Your reverse commute from somewhere in the city East End type neighborhoods (as listed above) might still take around 30 min. Probably a good half of that is getting across the city. Lawrenceville in theory could put you a hair closer, but in practice I don't think most of L'ville has a significant advantage in that commute over Shadyside.

It looks like you have other good reasons to want to be in the city, which makes sense to me. Just going to point out, in case it isn't quite obvious, that living up near work won't make a drive to Indiana PA significantly longer as you can use the Turnpike and bypass the city.

Good luck with your search. Could probably throw Bloomfield on that list. Given the way the streets work it could actually be one of the easier places to commute from within the city.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:24 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,035,351 times
Sewickley to East End is going to be a horrible commute. I commute from McKees Rocks to the East End and traffic is always a mess. I would look for a rental downtown, if I were you. It will be closer to Sewickley than the East End, and won't involve commuting both in-bound and outbound (at the same time) to get to work or home. There are also several gay bars downtown, if that is your thing. The only drawbacks would be parking and the higher cost of living downtown.

Another possibility, if downtown is too expensive, is the Mexican War Streets on the North Side. It will be an easy commute from there to Sewickley, and it's a gentrifying neighborhood with a lot of gay residents.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:22 PM

354 posts, read 475,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
Sewickley to East End is going to be a horrible commute. I commute from McKees Rocks to the East End and traffic is always a mess. I would look for a rental downtown, if I were you. It will be closer to Sewickley than the East End, and won't involve commuting both in-bound and outbound (at the same time) to get to work or home. There are also several gay bars downtown, if that is your thing. The only drawbacks would be parking and the higher cost of living downtown.

Another possibility, if downtown is too expensive, is the Mexican War Streets on the North Side. It will be an easy commute from there to Sewickley, and it's a gentrifying neighborhood with a lot of gay residents.
Actually, you can ditch most of the traffic from the East End commuting that way. By using 579n(into 279n), left @ Camp Horne exit, and a right on 65. Coming back the from the 579 just stay on Blvd of the Allies through Schenley Park gets you pretty close to a lot of the East End without the tunnel bottleneck. There is little traffic this way until you hit the lights on Allies going home, which can then be "moderate". All said it would still be about 30 minute drive or so.

Old 11-24-2010, 01:22 AM

1,719 posts, read 4,181,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faer View Post
Actually, you can ditch most of the traffic from the East End commuting that way. By using 579n(into 279n), left @ Camp Horne exit, and a right on 65.
Yeah, that's the back way into Sewickley. Works pretty well.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:46 AM

128 posts, read 201,345 times
Thanks for all of the great advice! I'm currently focusing my search on Shadyside, but also found some decent-looking apartments in Highland Park. I'll expand my search from here if I have to to include Friendship, Bloomfield and Squirrel Hill North. I'm looking to remain centered around, ironically, Centre Ave. Shadyside prices are definitely the highest in the areas I am looking in, but I'm willing to pay it in exchange for its more or less a can't miss area to live in.

In my searches I came across places in Lawrenceville (lower) around Penn Ave. and in Point Breeze North, also on Penn Ave. Lawrenceville seems to sprawl SW/NE along the river, which parts should I be looking in or avoiding? Pt. Breeze North also is on a border area. I drove in Penn. Ave. from 376 through Wilkensburg and things seemed to stop sucking once I got past west of Braddock Ave. Whats a good rule of thumb for judging the borders between Pt. Breeze and Regent Square (I saw a lot of places using that neighborhood very liberally) and Homewood/Wilkensburg?

As far as the drive, I spoke to a couple guys at the company I'm starting with and they live in Oakland and Squirrel Hill and judge their commute at around 25-30mins average which is perfectly fine for me. The office is actually way out of Sewickley and just has that city address, like Greg said its Wexford/Franklin Park just off I-79 at Wexford Bayne Rd.

Old 11-24-2010, 09:14 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
See what I mean about the confused directions already?

Old 11-24-2010, 09:18 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,965,362 times
The East End in general and Shadyside in particular is a great area for newcomers. It's the most cosmopolitan part of the city and region with people from all over the world living there. It's got a high concentration of gay people, and we live in harmony with the straight people. The bars and restaurants (even the straight ones) are pretty mixed. Shadyside has all the amenities you're looking for and is walkable so you can meet other people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh