Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2009, 05:24 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwanderer View Post
The top pay in the city of Pittsburgh, is how much again? Like I said, it's a stretch of about "30K".
OMG! I never mentioned the CITY of PITTSBURGH for goodness sake! There's more to Pittsburgh's metro area than the CITY! Get a grip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 05:25 PM

331 posts, read 672,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
OMG! Get a grip. I never discussed the CITY of PITTSBURGH for goodness sake! There's more to Pittsburgh's metro area than the CITY!
Spoken like a "true" suburbannite.......

Old 11-28-2009, 05:33 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,759,513 times
Quote:
So true. A few years ago, I decided to pursue a teaching certification.

Since my husband is 10 years older, I thought it would be nice to have summers off. That way I could enjoy retirement with him sooner.

Since I already had a degree, it wasnt' going to require many credits.

After taking a few classes with 19 year olds, I decided against teaching.

I couldn't imagine spending my life with those morons!

Now, this cracks me up. You are clearly a smart person, and perhaps much brighter than your typical 19 y.o. Are you saying you judged teachers by a bunch of clueless undergraduates still using Clearasil?

I have found from several stints in the public school classrooms, the most memorable being a substitute in 7th Grade (), that I have learned as much about myself as about them or the subject matter.

Old 11-28-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Are you saying you judged teachers by a bunch of clueless undergraduates still using Clearasil?
No! I wasn't judging teachers! I judged my future work environment!

I imagined my moron college classmates would be similar to the students I would have teaching high school!

All too often people with the wrong temperment go into teaching. At least I came to my senses!

I would NOT have been a good teacher. Give me a pat on the back for recognizing my weakness!

Old 11-28-2009, 06:05 PM

Quote:

I would NOT have been a good teacher. Give me a pat on the back for recognizing my weakness!
Good point. So, I suppose you realize that not ANYONE could be a teacher. I think folks think it is a walk in the park,and I can assure you, it is not. Especially with American kids. Not to say tradespeople have a walk in the park either (yes, I have been reading your posts WorldWanderer, and thinking about it). But then I support all workers; I am the bolshevik, pinko type who believes workers and the middle class are the heart of this great country, but we are rapidly losing that. I will say I don't care much for welfare moochers of either the shopping cart or Wall Street varieties. Not that anyone asked...

Old 11-28-2009, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Good point. So, I suppose you realize that not ANYONE could be a teacher. I think folks think it is a walk in the park,and I can assure you, it is not.
Oh, I know! It takes a special person! I would have needed Prozac!

You asked earlier if our schools are good. That's a tough one to answer.

They're much better compared to many in the nation, but I believe that's not saying much.

Like everywhere, there are great teachers and terrible teachers.

It's a shame that the unions prohibit districts from getting rid of the dead weight---the ones who should have realized teaching wasn't for them.

Old 11-28-2009, 06:30 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
I just want to go on the record to say, I'd never teach American kids in the United States....

Never, never, never. No desire, no interest whatsoever. Never never ever

In my experience of going through the public education system myself, memory recalls a strong anti-education environment...and even now, viewing debate/discussion on it across the U.S., and particularly in the movies/tv shows, it's strongly confirmed for me that education is valued and respected incredibly poorly.

My parents were also into education, and remember thinking what a nightmare existance that would be.

I fell into it by default...I went abroad...and teaching English is a great way to make a living abroad...and then I later caught up with the educational side of a MA to back-up all of this fell-into experience.

But, personally, teaching is a pure pleasure over here (Asia)...and over there (U.S.), I think it would be a pure nightmare - from the kids, to the parents, to the community, to the public perception, to the pay (and usually it's more like 30K for the first ten years or so)...there is NOTHING attractive about it on any level in the U.S. to me.

--

I'm flirting with the idea of teaching ESL (foreigner students studying english) at a community college level...but that's the only teaching in the U.S. I'd ever do, and only if one were to hire someone on a full-time tenure position in the U.S., and I've heard that that is near impossible. But that really is the ONLY situation I would teach in the U.S., so not likely.

So, if the teaching debate on this thread is going on slightly on behalf, I really have almost NO desire whatsoever to do that in the U.S.

--

Hey, so how about those BRONCOS, this year?

Old 11-28-2009, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I just want to go on the record to say, I'd never teach American kids in the United States....

Never, never, never. No desire, no interest whatsoever. Never never ever

In my experience of going through the public education system myself, memory recalls a strong anti-education environment...and even now, viewing debate/discussion on it across the U.S., and particularly in the movies/tv shows, it's strongly confirmed for me that education is valued and respected incredibly poorly.

My parents were also into education, and remember thinking what a nightmare existance that would be.

I fell into it by default...I went abroad...and teaching English is a great way to make a living abroad...and then I later caught up with the educational side of a MA to back-up all of this fell-into experience.

But, personally, teaching is a pure pleasure over here (Asia)...and over there (U.S.), I think it would be a pure nightmare - from the kids, to the parents, to the community, to the public perception, to the pay (and usually it's more like 30K for the first ten years or so)...there is NOTHING attractive about it on any level in the U.S. to me.

--

I'm flirting with the idea of teaching ESL (foreigner students studying english) at a community college level...but that's the only teaching in the U.S. I'd ever do, and only if one were to hire someone on a full-time tenure position in the U.S., and I've heard that that is near impossible. But that really is the ONLY situation I would teach in the U.S., so not likely.

So, if the teaching debate on this thread is going on slightly on behalf, I really have almost NO desire whatsoever to do that in the U.S.

--

Hey Tiger Beer,

I think there is more than a bit of truth in what you post above, but I think you might be overplaying how bad it is. Not everyplace stinks, and many of the students are really worth getting to know. They can be a kick. Not questioning your view for yourself, but I think it comes over as a bit dogmatic. We need good teachers here, like anywhere else, and some people, communities know that. Along with the low respect for authority comes innovative, creative thinkers, at least some of the time...

Old 11-28-2009, 06:59 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Hey Tiger Beer,

I think there is more than a bit of truth in what you post above, but I think you might be overplaying how bad it is. Not everyplace stinks, and many of the students are really worth getting to know. They can be a kick. Not questioning your view for yourself, but I think it comes over as a bit dogmatic. We need good teachers here, like anywhere else, and some people, communities know that. Along with the low respect for authority comes innovative, creative thinkers, at least some of the time...
There is another problem - teaching licenses required by each state. It takes another year of classes to get that license, which I also have no desire to do.

Why go into debt another 30K, just to get a job that pays 30K...no way, no way, no way.

I do know what you mean that students are really worth getting to know though...and at the university, that is ideal. I would do that in a heartbeat, but I'm a little less qualified without a PhD, so more limited...and those are competitive without having all the bases covered, so I'm not counting on that.

But really what I mean, is that I would never ever teach in the public school system K-12, and I'm not qualified to do so anyways without a state license, so not really an option either

Old 11-28-2009, 07:08 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Better than expected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh