U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-22-2010, 10:26 PM

1,720 posts, read 2,358,203 times
Raging tire fire in a junk yard brought to you courtesy of Channel 11 news in Pittsburgh!

Dun dun dun....dun dun dun dun dun!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 02:19 AM
Yac

4,242 posts, read 3,511,824 times
This thread has gone waaay off topic. If this continues, it will get closed.
Yac.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:28 AM

14 posts, read 17,281 times
Don't know if you are still up in the air on this but I would choose Pittsburgh hands down. This is based on how much more there is to do in Pittsburgh and how much more attractive it is to companies who are looking for educated employees-it seems that between the mid west and California and Pacific Northwest there is a serious drop off in states' approaches to education -you live in Phoenix but were raised in Boston, so you know what I am talking about. I live in another western city-Reno-so I can speak to another issue that I am sure Denver has-it is isolated. It will take you forever to get anywhere different if you are looking for a change of scenery-as pretty as the Rockies are, they will get old after a while, as all things do. Even people in Hawaii get tired of it. I am also an electrician and would put my faith in the job market in an area like Pittsburgh that has a more diverse economy than Denver-they might be booming now but you will feel more at home in a more union friendly town like Pittsburgh. Good luck!

Old 11-01-2010, 02:13 PM

1,158 posts, read 983,415 times
And Pittsburgh is considered more isolated than other cities that are located in the Northeast and East Coast, BUT the following cities are within or about a 6 hour drive from Pittsburgh:
Phila.
NYC
Cleveland
Wash.,DC
Baltimore
Detroit
Buffalo
Cincinatti
Columbus
Louisville,KY

So it's not that far to drive to get to other cities, but the bad thing about that is makes for stiff competition when it comes to companies looking for a city to locate their business in.

And as far as the union trades in Pittsburgh it definitely has the feeling of brotherhood ( and anymore, sisterhood,too!) and they look out for and take care of each other.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:26 PM

68,591 posts, read 57,229,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearbluesky View Post
Don't know if you are still up in the air on this but I would choose Pittsburgh hands down. This is based on how much more there is to do in Pittsburgh and how much more attractive it is to companies who are looking for educated employees-it seems that between the mid west and California and Pacific Northwest there is a serious drop off in states' approaches to education -you live in Phoenix but were raised in Boston, so you know what I am talking about. I live in another western city-Reno-so I can speak to another issue that I am sure Denver has-it is isolated. It will take you forever to get anywhere different if you are looking for a change of scenery-as pretty as the Rockies are, they will get old after a while, as all things do. Even people in Hawaii get tired of it. I am also an electrician and would put my faith in the job market in an area like Pittsburgh that has a more diverse economy than Denver-they might be booming now but you will feel more at home in a more union friendly town like Pittsburgh. Good luck!
PLease tell me what more there is to do in Pittsburgh than Denver. Denver has all four major league sports teams, football, baseball, basketball and hockey, plus major league soccer, plus a number of college teams. For particpatory sports there is skiing, hiking, mountain climbing, rock climbing, river rafting, kayaking, fishing (all nearby). Denver has a large performing arts complex, a huge art museum, several other first class museums. There is a taxing district that funds arts in the suburbs. The Denver Public Library has a huge collection of western US history. Plenty of bars if that's your thing.

As far as education, Denver is one of the most educated cities in the US.

The MOST Educated Cities In America (PHOTOS)

Most Educated Cities

Old 11-02-2010, 07:37 AM

367 posts, read 545,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yac View Post
This thread has gone waaay off topic. If this continues, it will get closed.
Yac.
Yes...PLEASE.............CLOSE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-02-2010, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heit View Post
Yes...PLEASE.............CLOSE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't get what's off topic about my post. Yac's comments were made > 4 months ago, about local TV news stories. It is not necessary to read the thread if you don't like it.

Last edited by Katiana; 11-02-2010 at 07:59 AM..

Old 11-02-2010, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I don't get what's off topic about my post. Yac's comments were made > 4 months ago, about local TV news stories.
I agree with you Kat-this is not off topic in the least.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:31 AM

I think what Clearbluesky meant in his post, from an electrician's perspective, there is more to do in Pittsburgh workwise, being that Pittsburgh is one of the top construction jobs added cities.
There is also nearby West Virginia,Maryland, DC and Columbus who've also added construction jobs and all very driveable distance from the Burgh.
My neighbor of 15 years spent all last year working in Philly, but was able to drive home every week and didn't miss the birth of his first grandson even though he worked out of town.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondee View Post
I think what Clearbluesky meant in his post, from an electrician's perspective, there is more to do in Pittsburgh workwise, being that Pittsburgh is one of the top construction jobs added cities.
There is also nearby West Virginia,Maryland, DC and Columbus who've also added construction jobs and all very driveable distance from the Burgh.
My neighbor of 15 years spent all last year working in Philly, but was able to drive home every week and didn't miss the birth of his first grandson even though he worked out of town.
Well, this is what s/he said:

Quote:
This is based on how much more there is to do in Pittsburgh and how much more attractive it is to companies who are looking for educated employees-it seems that between the mid west and California and Pacific Northwest there is a serious drop off in states' approaches to education
Now possibly the "how much more there is to do in Pittsburgh" meant work. We'll have to see if s/he replies.

As far as companies looking for educated people, Denver does have one of the highest percentage of college educated residents in the country, above Pittsburgh.

Then there's the little slam on the mountain states' educational systems, which I didn't even get into b/c it's so ridiculous a charge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh