Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 03:00 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,629,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Seriously, the 7-11 owners work 24/7?
They work it like a family business. Different family members work different shifts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I'd like to see some documentation that restaurant workers make more in Pgh. Never heard that before.
Just look on craig's list. Often the pay is equal or less in areas of the country where the cost of living is higher.

When there's no uneducated immigrant population, workers earn more money because employers have to pay enough to get people to do the jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 03:06 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,629,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
I have to disagree. no one wants to grow up to be a dishwasher. they are low value because they are low skill.
People grow up wanting to be chefs. As for dishwashers, they can make more than the prep cooks, bus boys and some other restaurant workers.

Want to know why? Because many people don't want to do the job.

I was amazed at how much money my son was paid to wash dishes. A 15 year old shouldn't make that much money.

That brings me to another point---these jobs are available for our young people in Pittsburgh.

Areas of the country where there is a high immigrant population, the teenagers and college students have a hard time finding jobs.

Quote:
construction still pays pretty well as does landscaping.
It's becoming more difficult to find people in the area to do those jobs. As more immigrants move into the area and take those jobs, the pay will go down.

Quote:
wages in the south have been lower since forever, it has nothing to do with immigrants. there aren't unions, cost of living is lower, and taxes are lower. there used to be a lot less jobs.
My point was that a manufacturing job doesn't necessarily pay better than other jobs people view as lowly.

I personally think that the manufacturing jobs are crappier jobs. I'd never for the life of me want to work in a manufacturing plant.

Quote:
me too. in fact, some people that have been laid off from good paying manufacturing jobs have been happier with less money in offices or other lowwer paying jobs.
We agree on something!

Old 11-25-2009, 03:11 PM

10,220 posts, read 16,728,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
They work it like a family business. Different family members work different shifts.
you're right, immigrants don't have families, they come from pods.

Quote:
When there's no uneducated immigrant population, workers earn more money because employers have to pay enough to get people to do the jobs.
sounds specious to me. wages rise with revenue, not with or without immigrants. it's more likely that pittsburgh has a relatively steady job base among a shrinking labor force. if, for example, nobody left pittsburgh, wages would be depressed. the south's wages were depressed because there wasn't a lot of work relative to the number of people, NOT because there were immigrants (although conservatives seem to like to blame everything on immgirants). in fact, where a person is from has nothing to do with it. lastly, you have no facts to back this up it's just based on your xenophobia. if pittsburgh had a growing job base, ther would be more immigrants. why move somewhere with a hostile, perhaps racist, populace that has no jobs? your argument that pittsburgh is good because there are no immigrants is backwards. there are no immigrants because ther haven't been many jobs. moreover, I'd like proof that wages in Philadelphia have decreased over the last ten years, which is the time period immigration finally took hold on that side of the state. they did such dastardly things as move into distressed neighborhoods that had once been home to immigrants from ireland, poland, italy and fixed them up. horrible I tell you! just horrible! things were much better when the help never showed because some teen didn't feel like it, and nobody went to the ever expanding ghetto.

Old 11-25-2009, 03:19 PM

10,220 posts, read 16,728,305 times
Quote:
People grow up wanting to be chefs. As for dishwashers, they can make more than the prep cooks, bus boys and some other restaurant workers.
and I highly doubt chefs make more money in pittsburgh than all cities with immigrants. chefs get promoted on talent not place of birth, and nowhere is immigration more important than for chefs. a diverse pool of culinary talent leads to a better restaurant scene. no offense, pittsburgh is nice, but it's restaurant scene pales in comparison to a lot of places with immigrants.
Quote:
Want to know why? Because many people don't want to do the job.

I was amazed at how much money my son was paid to wash dishes. A 15 year old shouldn't make that much money.
how much money is that?

Quote:
Areas of the country where there is a high immigrant population, the teenagers and college students have a hard time finding jobs.
based on what? I had an office job during my college years after leaving a bakery.

Quote:
It's becoming more difficult to find people in the area to do those jobs. As more immigrants move into the area and take those jobs, the pay will go down.
you have an obsession, perhaps a personal bias, with immigrants. what does it matter if someone is from altoona or mexico? with the unemployment rate where it is, it's only logical that pay goes down. do you disagree? I went to colelge ina small midwestern town, there were no immigrants, the pay for everything was quite low.

Quote:
My point was that a manufacturing job doesn't necessarily pay better than other jobs people view as lowly.
just saying that wages there have always been low. probably lower than your son's dishwashing job. the labor market is made up of supply and demand.

Last edited by pman; 11-25-2009 at 03:58 PM..

Old 11-25-2009, 03:19 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,202,031 times
Quote:
Just look on craig's list. Often the pay is equal or less in areas of the country where the cost of living is higher.

I looked on craigslist in both Denver and Pittsburgh for restaurant jobs. Not one listed any dollar amount of compensation. All uesd terms such as "competitive", "comparable", "varies", "DOE" (depending on ??), "depending on qualifications", etc.

You know, since this is a discussion about Denver and Pittsburgh, I will say, Denver has a lot of immigrants, both well educated and with less education, and we have a lower unemployment rate that Pgh. What does that mean? Maybe nothing. But it does show that immigrants don't necessarily bring down employment, or that lack of immigrants necessarily lowers the unemployment rate.

Old 11-26-2009, 09:36 AM

369 posts, read 2,160,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
You grew up in Boston. How much difference could there possibly be in the weather between Boston, and Pittsburgh?

I would at least visit Pittsburgh before making any comparisons. You might say, "Man, this place sucks. I could never live here." Or this, "Man, I love this place. I'm ready to move now."

Only you would know for sure. Try visiting in January, or February when weather is at its worst.

I was thinking the same thing. How much different could the weather actually be in Boston and Pittsburgh. Temperature and weather patterns seem to be the same, but sunshine is a lot different. After a little bit of research, I was shocked to see how much more sunshine Boston sees over Pittsburgh (according to the average #'s). Sunshine isn't everything, but you have to admit, everyone loves a sunny day.. Check out the numbers below!

Pittsburgh
Month Sunshine Hours
Jan 32%
Feb 36%
Mar 43%
Apr 46%
May 50%
Jun 55%
Jul 57%
Aug 56%
Sept 55%
Oct 51%
Nov 36%
Dec 28%

Boston
Month Sunshine Hours
Jan 53%
Feb 56%
Mar 57%
Apr 56%
May 58%
Jun 63%
Jul 65%
Aug 65%
Sept 63%
Oct 60%
Nov 50%
Dec52%

Denver
Month Sunshine Hours
Jan 71%
Feb 69%
Mar 69%
Apr 67%
May 64%
Jun 70%
Jul 71%
Aug 71%
Sept 74%
Oct 72%
Nov 64%
Dec 67%

Old 11-26-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokecitytdi View Post
Maybe I'm wrong but your looking at Pittsburgh vs. Denver with some of the wrong criteria.

Pittsburgh has a lot to offer zoo, sports teams, culture, cheap housing....but the foundation or social networking of the cities are different especially in the trade unions. Denver had a lot of growth since the 80's which makes it more of a melting pot. The Denver area makes it easy for you (being from out of state) to blend into the working force.

In Pittsburgh the slow growth or no growth has kept migration away from Pittsburgh..The same families have been here for 100 years..

Look around Pittsburgh, we still have born and raised (in Pittsburgh) cab drivers..clerks at the 7-11, and workers at the restaurants.

I know in some of the trade unions you better have family or a very good friend or you will never have a chance. In most of the unions around here it's the same families for generation after generation. Surely you must have seen this in Boston?

If you move here you will get the worst jobs due to someone taking care of their cousin, brother-in-law, or friend he went to high school with. I've seen it over and over in this area..and this doesn't just apply to the trade unions, it's everywhere.

Pittsburgh should be called Nepotismburg....Since I worked in other cities I know what it's like to be promoted due to merit not family. This area is the worst...... Pittsburgh is definitely not a melting pot anymore..and they take care of their own....especially in the unions....

It's like that everywhere. Hardwork and pleasant personality helps your odds on this matter.

Old 11-26-2009, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
Denver is not as sprawlish as Phoenix. While there are new developments where there are 100 houses that all look the same, there are a lot of older little homes on these quiet pleasant neighborhoods. To be honest, I actually prefer the look of the little homes to the big homogenous McMansion monstrosities that litter the landscape of this country. Denver is way better when it comes to walkable areas and cool places to live.

Another thing I noticed is that everybody out there is happy. I think it has to do with the sun. Also, the women are horny. They were throwing themselves at me and I don't even look that good. It's seriously like paradise out there. If only I could win the lottery. I would move there and spend my days snowboarding, drinking Chimay, hiking, and nailing hot chicks.

LMAO, I noticed the same thing about people being happy out there. I couldn't find a single person at that had anything bad to say about the city.

Old 11-26-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwanderer View Post
First of all, anyone who thinks that "weather" will make them "happy" is sadly mistaken. Show me a region in America that claims to have perfect weather, and I'll pick it apart in seconds.

The southern Cali coast has the best weather (by most people's standards). Denver, I hope you like the high desert. Sunny and dry is what you'll get there. To me, Denver's weather is boring!

Comparing Pittsburgh to Denver for me is too hard to do. The lifestyles, way of thinking, region etc is just too different. You need to take a trip to both places in order to decide.

You hailing from Boston, I think you'd be "retarted" to pick Denver!
Leaving your place of birth ain't easy, especially when going to a city that's completely different, like Denver is compared to Boston. Pittsburgh is right up your alley if you ask me.

P.S. Throw away all your Patriot jersey's and apparell before moving to Pittsburgh........

I think you mean "rehtahded". About the weather.. Its true.. Good weather doesn't equal happiness, but it sure does help. I hear what your saying about lifestyles. If I was making this move baised on weather.. Denver or Pittsburgh wouldn't be on my list.. There are so many elements. That's why I'm torn! I just get the feeling in Denver I'd have more fun and in Pittsburgh I'd have a better chance to save more $ and see my family more often. I can find a ton of reasons to move to either city!

Old 11-26-2009, 10:38 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,660,673 times
Everybody is in a different point in their lives. Some things that matter now will not matter down the road.

I was fresh out of school when I drove to Atlanta without knowing anything about it. There was only one thing that mattered. That's where the job offer was.

Two years later I drove to Pittsburgh, because that's where the job offer was. Granted, I knew more about Pittsburgh. It has always been my second home away from Ohio.
Now that I'm older I can choose where I want to live. I can work anywhere.

I suspect that you are thinking about starting a family, being able to buy a decent house, and still have enough money to go out and have some fun without breaking the bank.

I could have never done that in Atlanta. It was easy in Pittsburgh. I don't know how easy it would be in Denver. I do know that what is important now, is no longer important once the kids come. Before the kids came, I wouldn't drink from another persons glass. Once I had kids, I found myself eating things that I found on my shirt. Oh how the priorities change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh