U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 11:24 AM

20,274 posts, read 18,901,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench Warmer View Post
I just get the feeling in Denver I'd have more fun . . . .
I'm not sure this feeling is an accurate prediction, but holding aside the family issue, I would again say provided you can afford the lifestyle you want, you should go to the place you think would be more fun. Life is too short to do otherwise, and you don't want to have any regrets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2009, 12:46 PM

70,083 posts, read 60,674,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
Everybody is in a different point in their lives. Some things that matter now will not matter down the road.

I was fresh out of school when I drove to Atlanta without knowing anything about it. There was only one thing that mattered. That's where the job offer was.

Two years later I drove to Pittsburgh, because that's where the job offer was. Granted, I knew more about Pittsburgh. It has always been my second home away from Ohio.
Now that I'm older I can choose where I want to live. I can work anywhere.

I suspect that you are thinking about starting a family, being able to buy a decent house, and still have enough money to go out and have some fun without breaking the bank.

I could have never done that in Atlanta. It was easy in Pittsburgh. I don't know how easy it would be in Denver. I do know that what is important now, is no longer important once the kids come. Before the kids came, I wouldn't drink from another persons glass. Once I had kids, I found myself eating things that I found on my shirt. Oh how the priorities change.
Buying a house and having a family are doable in Denver. I've done it. Lots of people are doing it right now. The last time my brother was here, from Pittsburgh, he said we'd made a good life for ourselves out here. We did this with basically one income for many years.

Old 11-26-2009, 01:53 PM

9,251 posts, read 6,125,547 times
Seems to me that you could get a bit more home in Pittsburgh, and a bit more sun and wilderness in Denver. Otherwise, they seem like pretty good places to raise a family, develop many friends and things to do,etc. The only think I did not like about the Front Range area was that is was so open. Not woodsy and lush. Other folks would love these same features, so to each their own!

I will say, having thought about many cities across the country, Pittsburgh and Denver seem pretty nice to me. You could do a lot worse in either case, and if it were me, I would shoot to work hard to make either choice work. A lot of it is what you bring, and from your post, I think you get this.

Old 11-26-2009, 02:16 PM

331 posts, read 414,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench Warmer View Post
I think you mean "rehtahded". About the weather.. Its true.. Good weather doesn't equal happiness, but it sure does help. I hear what your saying about lifestyles. If I was making this move baised on weather.. Denver or Pittsburgh wouldn't be on my list.. There are so many elements. That's why I'm torn! I just get the feeling in Denver I'd have more fun and in Pittsburgh I'd have a better chance to save more $ and see my family more often. I can find a ton of reasons to move to either city!
It depends on your lifestyle. Believe it or not, Denver's weather is mostly sunny. It's high desert there, dry, sunny, and arrid. I just found Denver's weather to be too dry and boring for my liking.

Denver came across to me as kind of a yuppie city. Someone who's a professional would fit in there better than a blue collar working stiff. Not saying Pittsburgh doesn't have it's fair share of professional types. But Pittsburgh has yet to shed it's blue collar look and feel.

I think you'd fit in better in Pittsburgh than Denver. But the decision falls on you, not me.

People who grow up in certain cities, fit better in ones that are similiar. A Pittsburgh'er will adapt better to Philly, Nyc, Baltimore, Boston, Buffalo, Cleveland, Chicago much easier, than say Denver, LA, San Diego, SF, Phoenix, etc.

I'm sure there's a lot of Pittsburgh'ers who live in those cities I just listed. But how many of them are professionals as opposed to blue collar types as yourself? That's what it comes down to, being able to relate to your neighbors, or the guy sitting on the barstool next to you.

Being able to afford a city is one thing, being able to relate to the people that live there is another. What good is a house if you have nothing in common with the neighbors? Or the nightlife if you can't bs with anyone?

Old 11-26-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwanderer View Post
It depends on your lifestyle. Believe it or not, Denver's weather is mostly sunny. It's high desert there, dry, sunny, and arrid. I just found Denver's weather to be too dry and boring for my liking.

Denver came across to me as kind of a yuppie city. Someone who's a professional would fit in there better than a blue collar working stiff. Not saying Pittsburgh doesn't have it's fair share of professional types. But Pittsburgh has yet to shed it's blue collar look and feel.

I think you'd fit in better in Pittsburgh than Denver. But the decision falls on you, not me.

People who grow up in certain cities, fit better in ones that are similiar. A Pittsburgh'er will adapt better to Philly, Nyc, Baltimore, Boston, Buffalo, Cleveland, Chicago much easier, than say Denver, LA, San Diego, SF, Phoenix, etc.

I'm sure there's a lot of Pittsburgh'ers who live in those cities I just listed. But how many of them are professionals as opposed to blue collar types as yourself? That's what it comes down to, being able to relate to your neighbors, or the guy sitting on the barstool next to you.

Being able to afford a city is one thing, being able to relate to the people that live there is another. What good is a house if you have nothing in common with the neighbors? Or the nightlife if you can't bs with anyone?
I think you propose a couple of interesting hypotheses here. Namely, that Pittsburgh is more blue collar, and that that cultural "feel" of the city will be important for your average joe. I don't think I agree personally, as I have always sought out kindred souls wherever I have been. I would be amazed if both Pittsburgh and Denver don't have a variety of subcultures, which are most common in specific parts of the area, certain pubs, hobby clubs,etc. But I could be wrong on this. I am not really a city guy, but I always consider cities to be pretty diverse, where you can seek out the subculture you want, at least to a point.

I do agree that the weather of Denver was surprisingly sunny most days, but I do recall some rip-snorting thunderstorms in summer and blizzards in winter. Possibly boring by eastern standards, but much more exciting than LA or Phoenix.

Old 11-26-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I think you propose a couple of interesting hypotheses here. Namely, that Pittsburgh is more blue collar, and that that cultural "feel" of the city will be important for your average joe. I don't think I agree personally, as I have always sought out kindred souls wherever I have been. I would be amazed if both Pittsburgh and Denver don't have a variety of subcultures, which are most common in specific parts of the area, certain pubs, hobby clubs,etc. But I could be wrong on this. I am not really a city guy, but I always consider cities to be pretty diverse, where you can seek out the subculture you want, at least to a point.

I do agree that the weather of Denver was surprisingly sunny most days, but I do recall some rip-snorting thunderstorms in summer and blizzards in winter. Possibly boring by eastern standards, but much more exciting than LA or Phoenix.
But see, you ain't from Pittsburgh, and you say that you're "not really a city guy". I haven't read your profile or followed your postings that much, I believe you said you're from out west? Sure I can see you fitting into Denver if that's the case.

This kid is an electrician, not a computer guy, lawyer or whatever. Denver's realestate is anything but cheap. And the chance of his neighbor being blue collar is a lot less likely then it'd be in Pittsburgh.

Subcultures? Again, I don't really talk like this. I'd say things relating to neighborhoods. Shadyside has far less electricians than say Morningside would. Drinking in a bar in Lawerenceville will be a lot different experience than drinking in Shadyside or Sq Hill.

You don't have to get all brainy with this stuff. It's simple, Pittsburgh is a working man's city more than Denver is. This kid is from the east coast, Pittsburgh is a lot more east coast than Denver could ever be.

An electrician can earn a nice buc in Pittsburgh and live a decent lifestyle. Doing that in the city of Denver, I find that hard to believe with the realestate prices there. Not to mention that he'll fit in better in Pittsburgh. Other than being a Patriot fan........

Old 11-26-2009, 03:05 PM

43,017 posts, read 50,553,628 times
Worldwanderer, I understand your point, but I do think Denver would be better for the OP.

He might be from Boston but he has spent a significant part of his life in Arizona. Sunshine is important to him.

Although he'd fit in better as a working class guy here in Pittsburgh, he can definitely find happiness struggling financially in Denver with all the free outdoor recreation available.

If you ask me, it really comes down to which city would one prefer to live if financially struggling.

A dollar goes much father in Pittsburgh and the population isn't pretentious.

However, Denver's population isn't super pretentious either so he won't have a hard time fitting in if he's struggling financially in Denver.

Bottom line: Benchwarmer wants sunshine more than anything else.

If he can afford a modest standard of living in Denver, he'll be happier in Denver even if he could have a more expendable income in Pittsburgh.

Old 11-26-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Worldwanderer, I understand your point, but I do think Denver would be better for the OP.

He might be from Boston but he has spent a significant part of his life in Arizona. Sunshine is important to him.

Although he'd fit in better as a working class guy here in Pittsburgh, he can definitely find happiness struggling financially in Denver with all the free outdoor recreation available.

If you ask me, it really comes down to which city would one prefer to live if financially struggling.

A dollar goes much father in Pittsburgh and the population isn't pretentious.

However, Denver's population isn't super pretentious either so he won't have a hard time fitting in if he's struggling financially in Denver.

Bottom line: Benchwarmer wants sunshine more than anything else.

If he can afford a modest standard of living in Denver, he'll be happier in Denver even if he could have a more expendable income in Pittsburgh.
He said "it comes down to affordability". If "sunshine" is that important to him, why even leave Phoenix?

People crack me up with this "sunshine" stuff. In Phoenix, all you ever hear is how you don't have to shovel sunshine. Then during the long long long summers there, noboby spends anytime outdoors. What's the point? Atleast up north you get breaks in the temps during the winters. Unlike in the sunbelt, you have to suffer for months on end with no relief.

And if "sunshine" is that important to him, why even ask about any city in the northeast? Just stick to the sunbelt region instead. It's not like it's small, there's more sunshine regions apposed to overcast ones.

Old 11-26-2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwanderer View Post
He said "it comes down to affordability". If "sunshine" is that important to him, why even leave Phoenix?

People crack me up with this "sunshine" stuff. In Phoenix, all you ever hear is how you don't have to shovel sunshine. Then during the long long long summers there, noboby spends anytime outdoors. What's the point? Atleast up north you get breaks in the temps during the winters. Unlike in the sunbelt, you have to suffer for months on end with no relief.

And if "sunshine" is that important to him, why even ask about any city in the northeast? Just stick to the sunbelt region instead. It's not like it's small, there's more sunshine regions apposed to overcast ones.
I hear ya about Phoenix. It sounds like hell to me. Denver is much nicer. That said, I have no dog in the fight here. I lived in Denver / Fort Collins for two years, and I live in Oregon now. I left the Front Range, but I would go back for a great job. Otherwise, nah...I was just trying to give the OP feedback as best I could.

I do find it interesting that young folks want to move West,even when the conditions are not good for them. For instance, Oregon is still very expensive, with a TERRIBLE economy, yet the population continues to grow, and young hipsters continue to crowd into Portland, despite these obstacles. I am a bit older, and I don't want to pay a dime more than I have to, if I can find what I need. That is why I am looking so closely at Pittsburgh, but I really don't care that much about sunshine.

Old 11-26-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I hear ya about Phoenix. It sounds like hell to me. Denver is much nicer. That said, I have no dog in the fight here. I lived in Denver / Fort Collins for two years, and I live in Oregon now. I left the Front Range, but I would go back for a great job. Otherwise, nah...I was just trying to give the OP feedback as best I could.

I do find it interesting that young folks want to move West,even when the conditions are not good for them. For instance, Oregon is still very expensive, with a TERRIBLE economy, yet the population continues to grow, and young hipsters continue to crowd into Portland, despite these obstacles. I am a bit older, and I don't want to pay a dime more than I have to, if I can find what I need. That is why I am looking so closely at Pittsburgh, but I really don't care that much about sunshine.
Have you ever been to Pittsburgh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh