Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 10:23 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,636,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
How would they know it was recycling and not garbage?
They manage to figure it out in the suburbs!

I guess the recycling bin has something to do with it, but when the recycling bin is overflowing, they still KNOW the difference between recycling and garbage.

It's not because the garbage is in cans because the cans can be full too.

We just set it all out there---garbage bags near the cans and recycling near the overflowing recycling bin.

It just all works out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 10:23 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,694,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Why blue? Why can't the city accept recycling in any color bag like the suburbs do?
I don't know, but I don't think it's just Pittsburgh since several large national (international?) companies make those blue bags, which are labelled "recycling bags".

Old 11-25-2009, 10:24 AM

20,273 posts, read 32,871,363 times
By the way, I'm actually now wondering how trash and recycling pickup looks in Hopes' area (not in an argumentative way, just curious).

In the City, it tends to be pretty chaotic: people just put out a pile of stuff in bags and bins and standing alone and the pickup people have to figure out what to do with it. In that context it makes sense you need to identify in some way what in the pile is supposed to be recycling if it isn't in a recycling bin.

But I am now imagining Hopes' neighborhood does something much more orderly to begin with.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
I don't know, but I don't think it's just Pittsburgh since several large national (international?) companies make those blue bags, which are labelled "recycling bags".
I guess my township knows that less people would bother to recycle if they made it complicated.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:27 AM

20,273 posts, read 32,871,363 times
Quote:
It just all works out.
Hmm, are you sure?

Cities and recycling companies plan for a certain amount of wastage as people don't comply with the rules or screw up or so on. I wonder if in a case where it isn't a big problem, some cities will just plan to let some unmarked recycling go to the landfill.

Or they might be doing something to sort it. I just don't know.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Hmm, are you sure?

Cities and recycling companies plan for a certain amount of wastage as people don't comply with the rules or screw up or so on. I wonder if in a case where it isn't a big problem, some cities will just plan to let some unmarked recycling go to the landfill.

Or they might be doing something to sort it. I just don't know.
With the sincerest apologies to Hopes, whom I like as far as the people who post here go, "It Just All Works Out, Somehow" should be the universal motto for suburban living.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
By the way, I'm actually now wondering how trash and recycling pickup looks in Hopes' area (not in an argumentative way, just curious).

In the City, it tends to be pretty chaotic: people just put out a pile of stuff in bags and bins and standing alone and the pickup people have to figure out what to do with it. In that context it makes sense you need to identify in some way what in the pile is supposed to be recycling if it isn't in a recycling bin.

But I am now imagining Hopes' neighborhood does something much more orderly to begin with.
Well, we are orderly. It's basically at the edge of our yard afterall! There's one grouping of garbage (the cans and extra bags if the cans are full) and there's another grouping of recycling (the bin and the extra bags if the bin is full) a few feet away. There are two different trucks that come---one pile is for one truck, the other pile is for the other truck. It's very straight forward.

Some people might be more disorganized. But what's the worst that happens? Some recycling gets accidently thrown into the garbage truck? (And dont' think that doesn't happen in the city either. Garbage man can easily pitch blue bags into the garbage truck when in a hurry.) Some garbage gets missed and you're left with a garbage bag to put out again the next week? The garbage would never get into the recycling since the recycling guy semi-sorts everything into different areas of the truck.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
With the sincerest apologies to Hopes, whom I like as far as the people who post here go, "It Just All Works Out, Somehow" should be the universal motto for suburban living.
But it does work out! I'm usually outside with the dogs when both trucks come. I see that it all works out!

Old 11-25-2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:
But it does work out! I'm usually outside with the dogs when both trucks come. I see that it all works out!

Old 11-25-2009, 11:47 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,540,264 times
Quote:
Why blue? Why can't the city accept recycling in any color bag like the suburbs do?
Because they collect on the same day. Our recycling pickup is on a different day (and only 2 days a month) than our trash pickup. Based on your remark, I suspect yours is similar. In the city, recycling is every other week and picked up the same day as trash. Thus there needs to be a distinction so they don't accidentally take recycling with the trash or vice-versa.

No generalizing about the suburbs; every place is different. Like I said, there's that crazy and expensive setup they do in Marshall with multiple bins (the flip-top kind picked up by the automated truck. I swear that system is slower, but it does take less labor.) Not everywhere even has curbside recycling, even within Allegheny County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh