U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 10:50 AM

20,274 posts, read 17,747,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
There's one grouping of garbage (the cans and extra bags if the cans are full) and there's another grouping of recycling (the bin and the extra bags if the bin is full) a few feet away.
That might explain it--in the City, a few feet away may put you into your neighbor's pile.

Quote:
But what's the worst that happens? Some recycling gets accidently thrown into the garbage truck? (And dont' think that doesn't happen in the city either. Garbage man can easily pitch blue bags into the garbage truck when in a hurry.)
That's definitely the general attitude I was trying to describe above--some wastage is inevitable, and so if the lack of marked bags it isn't a huge wastage problem in a particular city (say because most people are keeping their piles neatly separated), then they might just let it go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 10:51 AM

9,878 posts, read 9,038,295 times
Quote:
But it does work out! I'm usually outside with the dogs when both trucks come. I see that it all works out!
Mine picks up before 6am. I sometimes hear it, and I've seen the truck out the window a couple times, but I've NEVER been outside when the truck comes. (A handful of times I have been up and left before or at that time, but not on pickup day.)

Old 11-25-2009, 11:00 AM

41,357 posts, read 45,359,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Because they collect on the same day. Our recycling pickup is on a different day (and only 2 days a month) than our trash pickup. Based on your remark, I suspect yours is similar. In the city, recycling is every other week and picked up the same day as trash. Thus there needs to be a distinction so they don't accidentally take recycling with the trash or vice-versa.
Nope. Same day here. Different days are too confusing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
That might explain it--in the City, a few feet away may put you into your neighbor's pile.
There are advantages to having some space!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
....then they might just let it go.
Our township found that recycling increased when they made it simpler. People recycle less when it's more complicated.

Quote:
Mine picks up before 6am. I sometimes hear it, and I've seen the truck out the window a couple times, but I've NEVER been outside when the truck comes. (A handful of times I have been up and left before or at that time, but not on pickup day.)
My dogs are very scheduled. I couldn't even get them to change with daylight savings time this fall. They're eating an hour earlier until Spring.

Mine varies. I don't always see them. Sometimes they're gone when I wake up. Sometimes the garbage is still there when I leave for work. It's always different.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:05 AM

I think the reason ours are different days (it's just one day later) is because of the efficient little outfit that collects our trash. It's mainly a roll-off dumpster service, and I think they have one truck to do trash collection in a few boroughs around us. I'm only guessing, could be dead wrong, but I think the single truck almost has to be right. That would be the most compelling reason why no recycling on the same day.

I can't complain. This is costing us less than 15 bucks a month!

Old 11-25-2009, 11:05 AM

20,274 posts, read 17,747,988 times
Quote:
There are advantages to having some space!
Perhaps we have a new motto for the suburbs: No blue bags!

Quote:
Our township found that recycling increased when they made it simpler. People recycle less when it's more complicated.
That is definitely a factor worth considering. I guess my point is that the appropriate balance to strike is likely to vary from place to place.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:10 AM

Well, I don't think it can get any simpler than "Here, put it all in this one bin, and we'll give you the bin". But the city would have to get bins on such a large scale, and invariably some people take them with when leaving. Mine was left by the previous owners of the house. I believe we're allowed to get a second one from the borough if necessary, but we rarely overflow this one even when it's 3 week's worth. There are only two of us after all. (I think it's only happened when we missed a pickup. Then I put out a milk crate with the extras.)

Old 11-25-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Well, I don't think it can get any simpler than "Here, put it all in this one bin, and we'll give you the bin".
Yep! That's what works! It can't get more simple!

Old 11-25-2009, 12:12 PM

261 posts, read 818,408 times
Quote:
Because they collect on the same day. Our recycling pickup is on a different day (and only 2 days a month) than our trash pickup. Based on your remark, I suspect yours is similar. In the city, recycling is every other week and picked up the same day as trash. Thus there needs to be a distinction so they don't accidentally take recycling with the trash or vice-versa.

No generalizing about the suburbs; every place is different. Like I said, there's that crazy and expensive setup they do in Marshall with multiple bins (the flip-top kind picked up by the automated truck. I swear that system is slower, but it does take less labor.) Not everywhere even has curbside recycling, even within Allegheny County.
McCandless is same day, and while I personally put the garbage at one side of the drive and the recycling at the other side, I know a lot of people don't.

Old 11-25-2009, 02:08 PM

315 posts, read 392,511 times
it's settled i'm moving to the suburbs

Old 11-25-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajl777 View Post
it's settled i'm moving to the suburbs
LMAO! As I said before, I want your life if this is the most pressing issue you have!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh