U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-27-2009, 08:50 AM

43,017 posts, read 50,400,919 times

Advertisements

Granted it's the freezing rain, slushy stuff, but it's covering the grass in Cranberry this morning!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 08:56 AM

13,013 posts, read 19,886,523 times
First snow of the year???

Old 11-27-2009, 09:01 AM

I think it might be! Don't get excited. It's just a dusting. It will melt in a few hours. But it was snow! And it was covering the grass!

Old 11-27-2009, 03:08 PM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,060 posts, read 2,041,477 times
OMG! Head daun to Giant Iggle to buy bread, milk, TP n'at! Stock up on ammo and non-perishable food items yinz guys...

Old 11-27-2009, 09:46 PM

1,758 posts, read 2,436,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Granted it's the freezing rain, slushy stuff, but it's covering the grass in Cranberry this morning!

It's that age old latitude and calendar problem. I look at a map and I see that Pittsburgh is not in a tropical laitude. Then I look at a calendar and see that we are headed into December and then I realize that the changing weather makes perfect sense. Much of the USA suffers from this age old latitude and calendar problem. Of course, it is only a problem if you hate four seasons.

Old 11-27-2009, 09:56 PM

But when people speak of 'bad' weather, I thought all kinds of snowstorms already hit the midwest, and cities like denver, and such.

So, the fact that Pittsburgh just got their first snow just now, says that it is a little bit milder than other places.

Old 11-27-2009, 10:18 PM

9,246 posts, read 6,107,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
But when people speak of 'bad' weather, I thought all kinds of snowstorms already hit the midwest, and cities like denver, and such.

So, the fact that Pittsburgh just got their first snow just now, says that it is a little bit milder than other places.

Perhaps, but Denver is odd. They can get snowstorms very early (September), then return to the 70s and sun. I would not consider Pittsburgh milder than Denver. In an absolute sense of variation and seasonality yes, but winters are probably more pleasant in Denver overall. But yes, I agree it does seem fairly late for them to get their first snow. Pittsburgh seems more like Oregon.

Old 11-27-2009, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

It might have been a first snow, but it really wasn't snow. It was rain that turned to slush flakes. It lightly covered the grass in Cranberrry, but melted instantly on the street. Wexford was a little of the same. McCandless and Hampton it didn't cover anywhere, just melted. And whatever fell in Cranberry this morning probably melted within an hour or two.

A snow storm at this time of year would be early for Pittsburgh. It's early even for a light dusting. However, every year is different, and we're overdue for a bad winter since it's been over 15 years since our one. Maybe this is the year. Who knows.

Old 11-27-2009, 11:41 PM

Using Thanksgiving as my guide...I remember Michigan Thanksgivings would always have a good six inches of snow solidly on the ground, and many times even be actually snowing on Thanksgiving day.

So usually by this time, you would be lucky to see some green grass again by year's end..and looking into permanant white scenery with that freezer-like feel for the next 3-4 months solidly.

---

The fact you are just getting snow that has already melted seems to say it is much milder than MI!

Old 11-28-2009, 08:26 AM
Status: "60th anniversary of the polio vaccine! Hail to Pitt!" (set 8 days ago)

69,998 posts, read 60,539,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Perhaps, but Denver is odd. They can get snowstorms very early (September), then return to the 70s and sun. I would not consider Pittsburgh milder than Denver. In an absolute sense of variation and seasonality yes, but winters are probably more pleasant in Denver overall. But yes, I agree it does seem fairly late for them to get their first snow. Pittsburgh seems more like Oregon.
The above is true. We had our first snow in early October this year, but it was about 65 on Thanksgiving Day. Pittsburgh's winter is not milder than Denver's. They both have temps that go up and down, rather than getting and staying cold like in the upper midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh