U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 02:39 PM

783 posts, read 1,137,379 times

Advertisements

I've always liked Robinson. It's close to the parkway and a lot of great shopping and restaurants around. How come the area has so few nice apt complexes and so few townhouse communities? I've only seen two or three decent apt communities and I believe I've seen two nice townhome communities, but neither were directly in Robinson. Compare that with Cranberry, which is crawling with townhomes and nice apt complexes. What's going on here? Why are the rental properties so old and shabby compared to Craberry or Monroeville? Heck, even Canonsburg has nicer rentals available than the airport area. Moon, Robinson, Coraopolis...they all suck. Kennedy twp is a little better, but it shocks me that a place like Robinson isn't thriving with nice rentals and townhomes like Cranberry is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 05:13 PM

1,315 posts, read 2,074,557 times
That was surprising to me too. My job is in Robinson so I was looking for a nice complex nearby, but had to settle for an apt a few miles down the road in Oakdale. The complex behind the mall, Westpointe, is atrocious. With all the retail shopping and all the jobs in the airport corridor, you'd think some new complexes would have been built along Route 60.

Old 11-28-2009, 05:19 PM

12,126 posts, read 14,278,050 times
Maybe not much is zoned residential....?

Old 11-28-2009, 11:26 PM

1,149 posts, read 1,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Maybe not much is zoned residential....?
I would think that Robinson Town Center and Settlers Ridge, being newer development, would have a strong residential component. The only reason I can think of as to why they don't are those God-awful zoning laws decreeing that the commercial and residential shall never meet.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:11 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,775,097 times
I don't understand this either. They do have those expensive apt/townhouses behind the mall, off Beaver Grade but that is about it. They should have thought that through a bit.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:57 AM

4,723 posts, read 4,827,697 times
Pittsburgh as whole doesnt build enough residential IMO....So many parts of the city would be killer if it had more residential...

Old 11-29-2009, 11:12 AM

294 posts, read 405,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Pittsburgh as whole doesnt build enough residential IMO....So many parts of the city would be killer if it had more residential...

I think the overall population decline had something to do with that, but I think things are finally looking up now.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:05 AM

1,104 posts, read 1,545,627 times
Keep in mind, Robinson is still growing. Most, if not all of the retail and residential developments in that area are no older than 20 years old. Cranberry is similar in a number of ways, but it is located in an area that is growing much more intense. Monroeville is an older, established community so you will find more residential areas there. Prior to the construction of Robinson Town Center in the late 80s, Robinson was primarily a rural community. A lot of the residential neighborhoods still have yet to come, including townhouse developments.

Old 11-30-2009, 05:14 AM

43,017 posts, read 50,477,142 times
I think the problem is there's not much lower and mid-level residential. That should change. Developers won't be overly focused on building developments with overly large houses because the bank crisis has made it more difficult to secure large mortgages.

Old 11-30-2009, 05:18 AM

43,017 posts, read 50,477,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyev View Post
The only reason I can think of as to why they don't are those God-awful zoning laws decreeing that the commercial and residential shall never meet.
And that's crazy since many people want to live within walking distance to stores and restaurants.

I can understand not blending residential and industrial, but residential and commercial should coexist on some scale for people who want that type of lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh