U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-30-2009, 03:38 PM
 
Location: Westsylvania
2,405 posts, read 2,799,328 times
Reputation: 1125
Default Funny food, found in the Strip.

I'm starting a thread for people to post (their own) photos of strange/fascinating/disgusting/offensive food they've found in Pittsburgh's very own Strip District. I'll go first: I like to seek out new and unusual brands of ramen, but am hindered by the fact that I don't eat meat, even powdered meat! So, I was very excited to find a new brand, and then confused by "vegetarian" AND "vegetable" flavors. Luckily, they come in two colors, to make it easier to tell the difference. One red, one green. Oh, and the red one includes the ancient Buddhist symbol for "universal togetherness". Enjoy, and don't complain, please. Symbols have many meanings, and this one was used for centuries before it was re-appropriated in the 20th century.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-30-2009, 03:43 PM
 
Location: Great White North Hills
8,114 posts, read 6,830,656 times
Reputation: 4288
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2009, 03:46 PM
 
40,250 posts, read 43,086,481 times
Reputation: 25256
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
I'm starting a thread for people to post (their own) photos of strange/fascinating/disgusting/offensive food they've found in Pittsburgh's very own Strip District. I'll go first: I like to seek out new and unusual brands of ramen, but am hindered by the fact that I don't eat meat, even powdered meat! So, I was very excited to find a new brand, and then confused by "vegetarian" AND "vegetable" flavors. Luckily, they come in two colors, to make it easier to tell the difference. One red, one green. Oh, and the red one includes the ancient Buddhist symbol for "universal togetherness". Enjoy, and don't complain, please. Symbols have many meanings, and this one was used for centuries before it was re-appropriated in the 20th century.
You're confusing me.

Was this ramen strange, fascinating, disgusting, or offensive?

You say 'enjoy' but I'm afraid because you didn't clarify!

btw, what's the price? I'm a strong believer that any threads about shopping should include pricing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2009, 03:46 PM
 
Location: Westsylvania
2,405 posts, read 2,799,328 times
Reputation: 1125
Did you take that picture? Good one, though. You beat everybody else to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2009, 03:48 PM
 
Location: Westsylvania
2,405 posts, read 2,799,328 times
Reputation: 1125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You're confusing me.

Was this ramen strange, fascinating, disgusting, or offensive?

You say 'enjoy' but I'm afraid because you didn't clarify!

btw, what's the price? I'm a strong believer that any threads about shopping should include pricing.
Look again. At the red one. At the ancient Buddhist symbol for "universal togetherness". On the left.


Some people find swastikas offensive. I don't, because I know their full history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2009, 03:49 PM
 
40,250 posts, read 43,086,481 times
Reputation: 25256
I'm glad you broke the ice about only posting our own pics, Copanut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2009, 03:51 PM
 
40,250 posts, read 43,086,481 times
Reputation: 25256
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
Look again. At the red one. At the ancient Buddhist symbol for "universal togetherness". On the left.
OMG! I didn't notice! Is that really the Buddhist symbol for universal togetherness? Which came first the chicken or the egg? Did the Nazi's steal it from the Buddhists?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2009, 03:55 PM
 
Location: Westsylvania
2,405 posts, read 2,799,328 times
Reputation: 1125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
OMG! I didn't notice! Is that really the Buddhist symbol for universal togetherness? Which came first the chicken or the egg? Did the Nazi's steal it from the Buddhists?
Yeah, Buddhists and Hindus have used it forever. I think it's the Hindu symbol for luck. It's probably an archetype in the collective unconscious. Supposedly you see it everywhere you go in the Far East. However, I fully expect some pantywaist crybaby to make trouble, possibly in California or the PNW, as soon as they find it in the store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2009, 05:36 PM
 
Location: Great White North Hills
8,114 posts, read 6,830,656 times
Reputation: 4288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Is that really the Buddhist symbol for universal togetherness?
Actually, the combining of meat, coleslaw, and French fries is the universal symbol for togetherness, a'nat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2009, 06:21 PM
 
261 posts, read 800,638 times
Reputation: 130
Does the red one actually have any real vegetarians in it, or is is fake vegetarian flavour?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top