U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 11:56 AM

1,491 posts, read 1,232,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Yeah, that is big, particularly for a low building.

Anyway, last I knew there was still a lot of wholesaling going on, plus offices. But I got the impression the space was there for a bigger operation, if they had the money, so I am guessing it is a funding thing (although if Aaron knows better I wouldn't mind be corrected).

It is partially a funding thing...although the costs have more to do with making modifications to the building. There are problems with ventilation systems (a complete lack of) inside the building that is stopping them from building full kitchens. And they don't want to do major renovations to the space until they know for sure that they will be staying put there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 01:12 PM

20,274 posts, read 18,703,640 times
That makes sense, so hopefully it is a big success and they can afford to expand and renovate.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:38 AM

4,262 posts, read 4,074,220 times
In order for the Market House to succeed, a key part should be with getting word out to the various ethnic communities, local farmers and bakers. Let's hope this is done properly and is successful.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:50 AM

8,871 posts, read 7,699,118 times
FWIW, Philadelphia's Reading Terminal Market Home has a similar story to Pike Place, once run down and left for dead, the place is, today, bursting at the seams. In some ways, it's more comparable than Seattle since they have both the reading terminal and 9th St. Italian Market Philadelphia, PA which is similar to the strip, both are successful. Of course the answer to the original question may be too obvious
Quote:
1794: Market Square, or the "Diamond," is part of the original plan of lots and streets laid out by George Woods and Thomas Vickroy, surveyors from Philadelphia. ...
Mid-1910s: The Diamond Market is constructed, and for the first time, Diamond Street passes through the Square and intersects with Market Street. The Diamond Market occupies all four quadrants and has a roller skating rink on the top floor.
Downtown Pittsburgh | Market Square | History & Uses
Quote:
Diamond[SIZE=2] [/SIZE][SIZE=2]

Definition: Town square. Pittsburgh's "Diamond" was the square around the old city market (now Market Square). Diamond Street still leads to this square.
[/SIZE]
Pittsburgh Speech & Society (http://english.cmu.edu/pittsburghspeech/dictionary.html - broken link)

not to knock the new market in the strip at all, but I don't think it would be a bad thing if a public market opened downtown catering to office workers during the day and residents on saturdays to start. it's all about the vendor mix. I think there's room for public markets as you usually get something you don't at a supermarket. good public markets cater to low end, high end, and can provide excellent access to local foods.

Old 01-22-2010, 02:59 PM

A public market Downtown would indeed be a cool idea, and I think the residential base is getting there.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:42 AM

1,206 posts, read 811,292 times
Brian - i have enjoyed your posts for some time. it sounds like you are an urbanite who cares about the place beyond just the issues of taxation and the price of your home.

in which municipality do you live? do you work for a public office? im just curious because you have a lot of information at your fingertips, it appears.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
Brian . . . in which municipality do you live? do you work for a public office? im just curious because you have a lot of information at your fingertips, it appears.
I live in Wilkinsburg, in the Regent Square part. I'm not a public official--the information just comes from tracking various local bloggers and bulletin boards and such, plus doing some independent reading/research (I'm fast with Google).

Old 01-24-2010, 04:06 PM

4,262 posts, read 4,074,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
A public market Downtown would indeed be a cool idea, and I think the residential base is getting there.
I think Market Square would be a cool place for a flea market.

Old 01-24-2010, 04:54 PM

I know they were doing a farmer's market in Market Square, but with the new layout I don't see why they couldn't expand that to do a nice flea market as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh