Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 11:58 AM

8 posts, read 15,056 times

Advertisements

My hubby has been offered a job in Pittsburg, so I think we're going. We live in NH and I know nothing about pittsburg. What I do know is, we will have to look for a "rural place" as I have horses. We currently live on a dirt road with trails everywhere and it's ideal for horses. I also run a dog grooming business out of my home. Does anybody know of any areas that I should start looking? Real Estate agents to contact? We'd like to be no more than 30 miles from Pittsburg, if that is possible. Also, is there tons of snow there and alot of below 20 degree days? I'm hoping it's at least a little better than it is here. Thanks for any info you can help me with, I really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 12:00 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,052,572 times
Pittsburgh

Old 12-02-2009, 12:13 PM

8 posts, read 15,056 times
OOOPS! Thanks!

Old 12-02-2009, 12:28 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
You can be 15 miles away from Downtown and have horses in Indiana Township.

If you want to live further out, north of Pittsburgh along I79 just past and surrounding Cranberry.

You'll want to stay close enough to a populated area for your dog grooming business.

Cranberry is still populated even though it's farther away from Downtown.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joycesgrooming View Post
Also, is there tons of snow there and alot of below 20 degree days? I'm hoping it's at least a little better than it is here. Thanks for any info you can help me with, I really appreciate it.
We don't get much snow. It dumps mostly in the northern counties and the mountains to the east.

Days below 20 come and go. Last year, we had a couple straight weeks of it, but that was the worst I remember in a long time.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:32 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
My hubby has been offered a job in Pittsburg, so I think we're going. We live in NH and I know nothing about pittsburg. What I do know is, we will have to look for a "rural place" as I have horses. We currently live on a dirt road with trails everywhere and it's ideal for horses. I also run a dog grooming business out of my home. Does anybody know of any areas that I should start looking? Real Estate agents to contact? We'd like to be no more than 30 miles from Pittsburg, if that is possible. Also, is there tons of snow there and alot of below 20 degree days? I'm hoping it's at least a little better than it is here. Thanks for any info you can help me with, I really appreciate it.
I would think what you're looking for is very doable. I'm not from there anymore, but one place I'd love to point out is upper Beaver County. I just love the proximity to Cranberry Township (shopping) and also to Rte 79 -- easy access to Pittsburgh.

Beaver County, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you look at a map of the area New Sewickley Township and Harmony Township butt right up to Cranberry Twp in Butler County AND Marshall Twp in Allegheny. That little area is sometimes called Bradford Park, not Bradford Woods. Ask your realtor about proximity to Cranberry Twp. I do remember seeing a horse ranch for sale in New Sewickley Twp, last year -- 15 acres with trails, paddock and barn. It looked gorgeous.

I would also think easy access to Cranberry would be great for a dog grooming business. Cranberry is very suburban, lots of developments, lots of dirty dogs!

I have no info on schools, since I don't have kids. But property taxes are good in Beaver County -- in Cranberry they are going to go up, and in Allegheny they are high.

And I have to add -- I am SO jealous. I want to move back there, too. I would love to have a horse.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
OOOPS! Thanks!
Funny! I was going to comment that the first thing you need to learn is an H is at the end of Pittsburgh, but MizzPittsburgh beat me to it.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:34 PM

875 posts, read 1,489,683 times
I'm not sure where to begin your search, but I can tell you from my experience around the area that there are plenty of rural-type areas fairly close to town. You might be surprised to find how many stables there are within a 30 mile radius of downtown. That said, it may not be as easy to find an existing house-and-stable property on the market. I'm under the impression that buying tracts of undeveloped land would actually be pretty easy, but that's a big commitment and I'm sure you want to look at all options first.

As for the weather here, our winters are pretty mind compared to much of the East Coast and Midwest. I would say that in terms of daytime highs, we only get like about a month's worth of below-freezing temperatures here.

I hope I could be of some help.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:35 PM

I recommend contacting a realtor who deals with the North Hills.

There many places with horse stables scattered throughout the various townships.

It's just a question of which ones are for sale.

I guess the most imporant question is: what's your price range?

Old 12-02-2009, 12:35 PM

418 posts, read 1,089,985 times
The Pittsburgh web site is nice, you can get a list of realtors there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh