Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 02:44 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
It's hard to reconcile those meager numbers with my daily experiences in Pittsburgh .
I'd guess those numbers are mostly in the city
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 05:09 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
I bet the counties outside of Allegheny County have virtually zero foreign-born.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:02 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
With all the talk of Pittsburgh's labor force population being at an all time high, it would be interesting to see who these people are that are increasing the labor force and if they are immigrants or not. Considering the jobs that are being created here, I'm guessing most of the labor force increase are people US-born or highly skilled foreign labor. In my opinion however, I don't think the immigrant population of the US will rise that fast during the 2010s due to the economy, a new higher quality of life in places like China and Mexico (I know they're still not great but their economy is growing a lot faster than ours), and the political climate in this country.

Last edited by bradjl2009; 08-26-2012 at 06:25 PM..

Old 08-26-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
I bet the counties outside of Allegheny County have virtually zero foreign-born.
There are foreign born people outside of Allegheny County, especially in places like Cranberry and Peters Twp I'd imagine. Foreign born people don't always have to look or act "different" than native born people to not be born here.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:26 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,291,277 times
In Charlotte, one of the highest ranked, there are many neighborhoods that are 90% Hispanic. I'm sure the influx of Hispanics over the last 30 years plays the biggest role in the big numbers in other cities. Pittsburgh just hasn't taken part in this trend.

Old 08-26-2012, 07:41 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
There are foreign born people outside of Allegheny County, especially in places like Cranberry and Peters Twp I'd imagine. Foreign born people don't always have to look or act "different" than native born people to not be born here.
I said virtually zero, not zero. And Cranberry, Peters and Murrysville would likely be where most of them would be outside of Allegheny County.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:11 PM

A lot of the Mexican immigrants in Philly are from a couple of towns....ones that have been largely unimproved and the drug war has made them Unsafe If high end jobs are being created one can.be sure service sector jobs will follow. I wouldnt be surprised of Pittsburgh's rate normalized.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
A lot of the Mexican immigrants in Philly are from a couple of towns....ones that have been largely unimproved and the drug war has made them Unsafe If high end jobs are being created one can.be sure service sector jobs will follow. I wouldnt be surprised of Pittsburgh's rate normalized.
Personally I'm not sure if the service sector will grow quickly in the foreseeable future in Pittsburgh. Much of the service sector here was established in the 80's or before and still remains when the population was higher. Some of it has closed or moved into the areas where more people are now (Cranberry) but a lot of it is still there. By looking at demand for new retail, I don't see much new demand being created or a large scale increase in it due to the lack luster performance of Pittsburgh Mills, and it seems when new retail opens anywhere in the area, old retail places close up or move into the new retail leaving us with just about the same amount of retail services. Of course, Pittsburgh could be entering the first long term increase its had in population in a long time so old trends with how things went may not be the same in a few years.

Edit: I also forgot to add before that with how I think immigration to the US is likely to slow (that the US won't see the large growth it has in immigration up until 2007/08) that birth rates in many developing countries have started to fall a bit in the past 10 years. While this may not mean much now, a lower birth rate will mean an improved quality of life slowly over time in those countries and will also mean less future people to immigrate possibly in time.

Old 08-27-2012, 05:53 AM

I generally agree that overall rates won't go up but I do think that Pittsburgh will cease to be an outlier. I think the service sector, particularly restaurant jobs, will see growth..especially in the city which is generally friendlier to immigrants (since you can live cheaply and get to work without a car). although Philadelphia seems to be drawing directly from the dominican (countryside), mexico, (most hispanics there still come from PR who are not foreign born), and various asian countries the allentown, reading, and to a lesser extent lancaster have begun to draw from nyc where washington heights gentrification is pricing out dominicans. I did find it interesting that immigrant growth in Pittsburgh is coming from the american southwest. if nothing else, hopefully decent mexican food will be easier to get.

Old 08-27-2012, 06:06 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
If the crash in net Hispanic immigration to the United States continues, then even if Pittsburgh's share of that immigration normalizes, it will remain way behind most other large U.S. metros in terms of Hispanic-heritage population percentages, because they will have the legacy of their shares from the now-past Hispanic immigration wave and Pittsburgh won't.

On the other hand, as I have noted before, U.S. births have taken over from net immigration in terms of contributions to the U.S. Hispanic-heritage population. That does create another possible source for increasing Pittsburgh's Hispanic-heritage population percentages, namely domestic migration of native-born people with at least some Hispanic ancestry, and in fact it looks like Pittsburgh is entering a period of increased domestic migration churn.

But those native-born people with Hispanic ancestry will be increasingly assimilated, only partially Hispanic-heritage, and so on. Which is fine, but the impact on the local cultural mix will be muted as a result.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh