U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-17-2007, 02:55 AM

8 posts, read 41,238 times
Default Housing costs/ where to live

I have seen some of the previous threads of discussion on what neighborhoods are the best and why, so this question may sound a bit redundant, but in looking at some of the previous posts, I have to ask about the Crafton/ Ingram area. I spoke with someone here in Boston recently who is originally from Pgh and she had nothing at all positive to say about it. Is the city really as depressed as people make it sound? Keep in mind that I am not saying this personally, but this is just what the people I have spoken with personally said. She also said that it would take $250,000 to buy a decent home there? This seems totally contradictory to what I have found online regarding the housing market there but I don't really know.

Well, that's about it, I know I've jumped around a bit in this post, but all these questions kind of came to me at once. Thanks for any info you can give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2007, 07:22 AM

77 posts, read 194,757 times
I think it depends on the type of area that you feel comfortable living in. My partner and I will be moving to Pittsburgh from the DC suburbs in June, and we looked around the area for a week before we settled on the South Hills area (Bethel Park). Since we were living in the suburbs now, we decided to do the suburban thing again, because that's what we are comfortable with. This, coupled with the good transit options from the area (via the T light rail line) made this a good choice for us.

We found a one bedroom apartment for just under $1000/month with underground parking and a fireplace. We are paying close to $1400/month for a similar apartment in the DC burbs without the underground parking and much farther away from work.

Our plan is to rent for a year, and then go "house hunting", granted that our creditworthiness allows at that time. We have been looking around in the South Hills area, and have been finding some real nice townhomes in the $90K-$135K range and some single-family homes in the $100-$175K range that would be well within our budget. You may find that other neighborhoods are less expensive, especially in Pittsburgh proper, but we have found that houses in the $250K range tend to be new-build McMansions that we are not really interested in. $250K can buy a lot of house in Pittsburgh, but I think that you can get something very nice for under $100K easily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh