U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-08-2009, 02:42 PM

2 posts, read 2,250 times
Default Pittsburgh suburbs that are walkable

My husband are very seriously considering moving back to Pittsburgh area after many years on West Coast. Frankly, we need some insight. Where can we find a piece of property 1-2 acres that is inside of one of the burbs or the city and doesn't require a lot of driving.(We like to walk) Does this exist??
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 02:51 PM

2,082 posts, read 2,518,369 times
One or two acres in the city or inner ring suburbs is a tall order. I'm sure something does exist, but you're going to have to really look and find something that's even on the market. Perhaps West View, Ross Twp., Plum, Scott Twp. Others may have better suggestions.

Old 12-08-2009, 02:55 PM

20,274 posts, read 17,930,501 times
I realize this isn't exactly helpful, but lot sizes in the 1-2 acre range tend not to be conducive to walkable neighborhoods. I mean you might have a pleasant walk around the neighborhood, but it will be rare in such a neighborhood to have many amenities to walk to.

Old 12-08-2009, 02:55 PM

12,819 posts, read 9,991,246 times
Yeah, wanting that much land in a walkable area--I can't even think of anyplace that would fit the bill.

Old 12-08-2009, 03:08 PM

20,274 posts, read 17,930,501 times
By the way, estimates vary, but the number I have seen most often is that you need at least about 8 residential units per acre to create a walkable neighborhood.

Old 12-08-2009, 04:25 PM

8,194 posts, read 7,189,955 times
You might find something like that in Zelienople, but can't think of any place else.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:32 PM

9,879 posts, read 9,223,823 times
Yeah, can't think of too many places like that. Typically you don't get an acre in a walkable town. I'm thinking maybe Edgeworth, which is next to Sewickley, and possibly some of Sewickley as well. That could be walkable, it's a significant business district in town, and some of those places might be on an acre. Of course, you need about a $1 million budget or thereabouts. (There might be a few places in Shadyside like that too, similar budget.) My guess would be that your budget is not really in that vicinity, but if it is, hey, go for it!

Let's see, some other thoughts, Ross has some lots that big, but not anywhere usefully walkable that I can think of. West View, perhaps, perhaps, and more budget friendly too. A few businesses to see there. Ben Avon has some larger lots, but again although it's all laid out like city streets and such, there really aren't any business of note to walk to. Very nice walking area, just no businesses! Also, too near the industrial stuff on Neville Island. Mt Lebanon, maybe a few, probably still pricey but not as pricey as Edgeworth and Sewickley. There's definitely a walkable area of Mt Lebanon with a nice little business district, but I still think it'll be tough finding large lot unless your budget is similarly large.

Now, if you confine yourself to "not a lot of driving" and not being able to walk to any businesses, you might have a few more choices, although the walking around the neighborhood might also get less desirable. I mean, it would be nice to at least have sidewalks. (I live where there aren't any.)

Oh, another thought: Beaver, as in specifically the town, which is in the county of the same name. There may be some large lots out there and should be cheaper. A bit farther from the city proper, but has a little business district with some useful stuff.

Last edited by greg42; 12-08-2009 at 06:44 PM..

Old 12-08-2009, 06:40 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,064,810 times
Do you want to use 1-2 acres or do you just want to feel like you're on 1-2 acres? There are many homes throughout the city that feel isolated due to the topography. For example, I looked at a rowhouse in Fineview with a wonderful deck. Due to the staggering of the houses on the hillside and forest, you couldn't even see your neighbors. In college I lived in a house in the West End that was much the same way - in your backyard you would swear you were way out in the country somewhere, all by yourself.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:53 PM

625 posts, read 1,145,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyev View Post
Do you want to use 1-2 acres or do you just want to feel like you're on 1-2 acres? There are many homes throughout the city that feel isolated due to the topography. For example, I looked at a rowhouse in Fineview with a wonderful deck. Due to the staggering of the houses on the hillside and forest, you couldn't even see your neighbors. In college I lived in a house in the West End that was much the same way - in your backyard you would swear you were way out in the country somewhere, all by yourself.
There are some places in Stanton Heights like this too. Now, of course you won't get 1-2 acres. But you might get a very isolated 1/2 acre, right in the middle of the city, and at the end of a street in a walkable neighborhood.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:58 PM

41,710 posts, read 46,215,761 times
That development on Route 19 between Wexford and Cranberry has sidewalks in the housing development and the business district.

For land that size, you'd have to buy property on the outskirts so there wouldn't be a sidewalk.

I'm not sure how someone can expect 1-1/2 acres in a walkable area. That property size generally isn't in neighborhoods with sidewalks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh