Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 08:33 AM

38 posts, read 188,404 times

Advertisements

Hi - Does anyone have any info or (even better) photos of Indiana Township and Fox Chapel? I've seen quite a bit of Fox Chapel as the in-laws live there but have heard that Indiana Township is a great place for hobby farms and small acreage. Is this true? I'm looking to have a few acres for some chickens and a goat or two as well as a calf or maybe a horse. I so badly want to get out of SC and into an area where hobby farms are available. Here in Charleston, they develop on any piece of land they can find and the McMansions go up like crazy. Agriculture is nil around here and I want my boys to grow up with animals and tractors. But, I'm not looking for "Deliverance" style seclusion - just a quiet spot close to family in Fox Chapel.

Thanks for any and all advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2007, 06:43 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Indiana Township isn't anything like deliverance. There's lots of great houses sprinkled inbetween farming areas. I think you'll like it very much. And it's part of Fox Chapel School District too. Sorry, no pictures. But I assure you that you'll like Indiana Township. It's exactly what you describe. You can also look into O'Hara Township. It's in Fox Chapel School District too. If you can't find what you're looking for in those two areas, try West Deer. It's part of Deer Lakes school district. It's only 10 minutes away from Fox Chapel so you'll still be close to family.

Old 05-19-2007, 07:32 AM

Thanks! I had heard that it was still possible to get land in that area but wasn't sure if it was true or not. Your info makes me feel better about being able to find the right home for us.

Old 05-19-2007, 10:12 AM

83 posts, read 248,557 times
For random imges: Go to Google and select 'image' and search both 'Indiana County PA' and 'Fox Chapel ' try that on 'YouTube' as well.

Old 05-19-2007, 10:33 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofsc View Post
Hi - Does anyone have any info or (even better) photos of Indiana Township and Fox Chapel? I've seen quite a bit of Fox Chapel as the in-laws live there but have heard that Indiana Township is a great place for hobby farms and small acreage. Is this true? I'm looking to have a few acres for some chickens and a goat or two as well as a calf or maybe a horse. I so badly want to get out of SC and into an area where hobby farms are available. Here in Charleston, they develop on any piece of land they can find and the McMansions go up like crazy. Agriculture is nil around here and I want my boys to grow up with animals and tractors. But, I'm not looking for "Deliverance" style seclusion - just a quiet spot close to family in Fox Chapel.

Thanks for any and all advice!
On that note -- is it even possible to have a hobby farm with chickens and a goat and a horse?

Some places have put restrictions on what you can and can't do -- here in Oakland roosters are not permitted -- if you have one, you can keep him till he goes, but you can't get another. There's a number of dogs you can't go over (Thankfully they haven't done that with cats! We have 9)...

I'd rather know that up front, instead of finding out after you bought that plot of land. The guy down the street doing what you want to do might be a crank that's always fighting with the county...

Old 05-20-2007, 06:59 PM

Yes - we will investigate all the restrictions, etc. I know roosters can be a problem when you have neighbors close by. I know my in-laws get their fresh corn from somewhere in Indiana Township and usually if you have enough land to grow a tall crop (like corn) without disturbing your neighbors, than you're far enough away from the next house to not have a goat be a problem. I will check into it thoroughly before making any decisions. Thanks for all the advice!

Old 05-20-2007, 09:06 PM

It's possible to have a hobby farm. There are many of them in the area outofsc is interested in living.

Old 05-21-2007, 12:03 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It's possible to have a hobby farm. There are many of them in the area outofsc is interested in living.
Well then -- because I didn't get to say this on the board where my friend usuay posts the Thanksgiving pictures of them --

I LOVE CHICKENS!!!!!!

I don't have any -- feral cat population around here makes that impossible.... but this is one of my favorite chicken websites, with some great baby chick pics...

http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/cate..._chickens.html

You also have to understand -- any chickens we would have would have a wonderful life.... and would never end up on a plate... NEVER.... we'd have to hire a hit man.

Old 05-21-2007, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
and would never end up on a plate... NEVER.... we'd have to hire a hit man.
That's hillarious!

My husband grew up in valencia, and a farmer would drop off colored chicks in their house on Easter morning while they were still sleeping. They'd wake up to chicks running around the house.

I personally would love to have ducks----but far away from the house in a large pond.

Old 05-21-2007, 07:06 AM

Yes - I'm interested in keeping free range chickens - they deserve a good life. I want chickens for the eggs, not the meat. I'll check out the website - sounds like it's right up my alley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh