U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-06-2010, 05:24 PM

118 posts, read 151,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate88 View Post
I like how the snow brings people together. Also, lots of impressive snowmen in Oakland! One was built on a rooftop, I saw another one that was at least 12 feet tall!
I'm gonna make a snowman in Big Ben's likeness that's gonna be taller than the Cathedral of Learning. It's gonna take me a few days, but I'll get 'er done. You'll see me on the news once it's all completed. You'll see me on the news a few weeks later when the thaw comes and my snowman collapses, because I'd imagine some people may be crushed to death because it's gonna be so big.

I'm gonna get started now....Wish me luck. I have nothing better to do, because I have an outdoor tropical tree business and we're kinda dead this time of year. Everyone tells me I should either move or invest in a greenhouse, but I keep procrastinating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 08:20 PM

9,882 posts, read 9,506,864 times
We were going to make a snowman this afternoon but it was so dry it wasn't sticking together for us at all. Could be better after the sun, not sure, but will be notably colder tomorrow I believe....

Old 02-06-2010, 09:03 PM

20,274 posts, read 18,198,809 times
Same problem with snowmen for us: even when it got sunny, it wouldn't stick.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:12 PM

14 posts, read 15,196 times
yep more on the way up to a foot maybe. Hopefully not. This is enough so we need spring weather here.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:06 PM

441 posts, read 376,259 times
I have my sincere doubts that anything is going to be back to normal by Monday. I live on a semi-busy road used often by emergency vehicles. We have not seen any plows, so there's a good 6-8 inches of very tightly packed snow covering the road. That's a conservative estimate, too. I'm also on a small hill and saw several cars spin out today while unsuccessfully trying to get up it. It's going to be a very dangerous situation when this freezes over.

And I'm sure I'll be laughed at for this, but I'm honestly concerned that my local supermarket is going to run out of food. I have no idea how they are supposed to get delivery trucks in and out in these road conditions, and especially when there are all sorts of problems on the highways. Most grocery stores only have 2-3 days worth of food at any given time and rely on just-in-time deliveries to keep the shelves stocked.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:43 PM

8,983 posts, read 5,741,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirade View Post
I have my sincere doubts that anything is going to be back to normal by Monday. I live on a semi-busy road used often by emergency vehicles. We have not seen any plows, so there's a good 6-8 inches of very tightly packed snow covering the road. That's a conservative estimate, too. I'm also on a small hill and saw several cars spin out today while unsuccessfully trying to get up it. It's going to be a very dangerous situation when this freezes over.

And I'm sure I'll be laughed at for this, but I'm honestly concerned that my local supermarket is going to run out of food. I have no idea how they are supposed to get delivery trucks in and out in these road conditions, and especially when there are all sorts of problems on the highways. Most grocery stores only have 2-3 days worth of food at any given time and rely on just-in-time deliveries to keep the shelves stocked.

Wow! Amazing stories! This reminds me that the canned food, be prepared thing can kick in at any moment. I hope the roads open up an you get food to your local store Tirade!

Old 02-07-2010, 03:08 AM

20,274 posts, read 18,198,809 times
They will have had something like 42 hours of serious plowing and salting time by Monday morning, so hopefully at least a lot of the area is functional, deliveries are getting to most stores, and so on. I'll be watching PAT for updates, since I think how much of their system is back running by Monday morning will be a rough proxy for how things are going.

Old 02-07-2010, 06:31 AM

42,419 posts, read 47,526,931 times
I doubt things will be running normally too on Monday. I posted in the other thread that it's a thick sheet of ice under the packed snow

The plows and salt trucks keep getting stuck. We watched one slide down a hill sideways last night, go over a retaining wall, and into a yard.

Another snow plow came to try to pull it out. Then a backhoe came to try to pull it out. When I went to bed last night at 2:00am, they were still trying to get the snow plow out. Snow plows and police cars were getting stuck in our neighorhood many times yesterday. Residents were digging them out. This was the first one that went into a yard and got stuck permanently.

My husband left for Cranberry this morning. He said ALL of the roads are bad---even the main roads. There's a sheet of ice under everything.

It probably would have been best if the snow plows had only taken off the first foot of snow so there would be traction.

I'm concerned for a neighbor who has a plow on the front of his landscaping truck. He left yesterday at 7:00am. He hasn't been back. His wife's car disappeared sometime late yesterday afternoon. I hope he didn't have an accident and end up in the hospital. I highly doubt he's been plowing for 24 straight hours. His wife's car being gone for so long indicates to me that something is seriously wrong.

Old 02-07-2010, 07:07 AM

9,882 posts, read 9,506,864 times
I am just shaking my head at this. For any major roads to still be bad this morning is just mismanagement. I'm looking out front at a perfectly bare, dry road. We'll probably take a ride over to Cranberry a little later. I know from past experience and from what some of you are saying that I can't judge road conditions by my own road, but the reality is with the snow having stopped almost 24 hours ago, I should be able to, at least for major roads. My road isn't really major; it's just a basic two-lane rural through road, wide enough to have center and edge lines painted on it. It doesn't have a state route number or anything.

People at various levels (state, municipal?) perhaps said "Oh, it's the weekend, we can just fix it all on Saturday" and maybe didn't have the crews keep up over Friday night, which is what's really necessary when you get a foot and a half of snow. Obviously I'm just guessing, but something had to be out of whack in many of these places if there are main roads in poor condition today given the sun and reasonable high temp yesterday.

Old 02-07-2010, 07:43 AM

1,309 posts, read 2,000,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
I am just shaking my head at this. For any major roads to still be bad this morning is just mismanagement. I'm looking out front at a perfectly bare, dry road.
Yeah, I agree with this. It's crazy that some of the main roads are still in such poor shape, yet I saw a PENNDOT plow come through the main street in my apt complex about every 2 hours, and it was completely clear by about noon yesterday. I'm glad my apt complex is such a priority apparently, but something just doesn't add up when other areas are still impassable.

My street....

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh