U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 02-08-2010, 04:35 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
13,113 posts, read 10,615,535 times
Reputation: 20263

Advertisements

Boy Mayor has gone into high gear with all of the National Guard and whatnot, which is good, but where was he with these big ideas on Saturday? Or Sunday? It seems like in a state of emergency we shouldn't have to wait until start of business on Monday for things to start happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-08-2010, 04:58 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh area
9,886 posts, read 9,916,507 times
Reputation: 4672
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
where was he with these big ideas on Saturday? Or Sunday?
Stuck in Seven Springs, as I recall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2010, 05:14 PM
 
Location: Great White North Hills
8,423 posts, read 7,584,571 times
Reputation: 4611
Bob O'Connor would have been riding the streets on a snowmobile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2010, 06:43 PM
 
Location: Hell with the lid off, baby!
2,197 posts, read 3,922,808 times
Reputation: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Bob O'Connor would have been riding the streets on a snowmobile.
Hahaha, no doubt!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2010, 08:17 PM
Status: "Fall is almost over!" (set 16 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
69,637 posts, read 59,670,612 times
Reputation: 19961
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Boy Mayor has gone into high gear with all of the National Guard and whatnot, which is good, but where was he with these big ideas on Saturday? Or Sunday? It seems like in a state of emergency we shouldn't have to wait until start of business on Monday for things to start happening.
My brother (who had e-mail and power on Saturday) sent me this:

Area struggles to recover from paralyzing snow storm

Mayor Luke Ravenstahl was in the Laurel Mountains celebrating his 30th birthday today with family and friends.

"We got up early this morning and tried to make the drive home, but we weren't successful," Mayor Ravenstahl said ina press release. "We tried again a little bit ago, but it just isn't safe out there.


The big three-oh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2010, 06:35 AM
 
Location: Crafton, PA
1,060 posts, read 1,040,183 times
Reputation: 535
The idea that our city's response was at all impacted by the mayor's 30th birthday is somewhat irritating. There should have been a press conference held Saturday, not Sunday afternoon. Also, I think the emergency declaration should have been extended through Monday to give road crews more time to clear the roads without residents doggedly trying to get to work. I have heard many stories about people commuting into town, not knowing the mess that awaited them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2010, 07:32 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh area
9,886 posts, read 9,916,507 times
Reputation: 4672
Well, from my direction anyway, on my commute, the only mess is in the city. Back roads around Warrendale area west of I-79 were fully bare, I-79 and I-279 fully bare. City street? Big mess. I exit at Ft Duquesne Blvd off bridge of same name, and then I duck right into the first parking garage at Stanwix. The street was a big mess, causing backup onto the bridge.

The more I see, the more it appears that there was total mismanagement of snow removal earlier in the process, in the city and perhaps a few other places.

The pic in the link below was taken SATURDAY around 3pm.

http://twitpic.com/125sl0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2010, 01:42 PM
 
Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,057 posts, read 2,014,698 times
Reputation: 1040
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2010, 01:49 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
3,910 posts, read 3,498,176 times
Reputation: 1869
^HAHAHA!!
And whoever said it would be right, Bob O'Connor would be out on the Humvee helping give food to the people of the city along with the national guard. It makes me sad knowing he never got to do his goals to make this city so great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2010, 01:52 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
3,910 posts, read 3,498,176 times
Reputation: 1869
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Well, from my direction anyway, on my commute, the only mess is in the city. Back roads around Warrendale area west of I-79 were fully bare, I-79 and I-279 fully bare. City street? Big mess. I exit at Ft Duquesne Blvd off bridge of same name, and then I duck right into the first parking garage at Stanwix. The street was a big mess, causing backup onto the bridge.

The more I see, the more it appears that there was total mismanagement of snow removal earlier in the process, in the city and perhaps a few other places.

The pic in the link below was taken SATURDAY around 3pm.

My road on SATURDAY afternoon; roads still crusty Monday nigh... on Twitpic
Where do you live? If it's up in Warrendale they did get a few inches less than the city. Allegheny County was really in the jackpot for this storm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top