U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-10-2010, 02:08 PM

195 posts, read 293,204 times

Advertisements

I don't currently live in the city of Pittsburgh, so my opinion on the parking chairs doesn't really matter. (FWIW, I don't agree with it during normal circumstances, but I feel that exceptions could be made in a situation like this where someone spent 2 hours digging out a spot.)

However, I would like to comment on a remark that was made saying this happens in Brooklyn...

I lived in Brooklyn for two years, during which I drove my car. There is no such practice. Under normal circumstances, everyone drives around until they find a space. Everyone walks whatever distance they need to; there is no saving of spaces. I saw someone try it once, but the cops foiled their plan within 10 minutes. During extreme weather, no one digs anything out themselves. If the city doesn't do it, they take mass transit. The city usually does a good job of digging things out, however, so the same rules apply-- you drive until you find a space and you walk however far you need to.

I also lived in Queens for a year. Again, no such practice. People don't save spaces in NYC.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 02:36 PM

3,191 posts, read 3,974,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwair View Post
I don't currently live in the city of Pittsburgh, so my opinion on the parking chairs doesn't really matter. (FWIW, I don't agree with it during normal circumstances, but I feel that exceptions could be made in a situation like this where someone spent 2 hours digging out a spot.)

However, I would like to comment on a remark that was made saying this happens in Brooklyn...

I lived in Brooklyn for two years, during which I drove my car. There is no such practice. Under normal circumstances, everyone drives around until they find a space. Everyone walks whatever distance they need to; there is no saving of spaces. I saw someone try it once, but the cops foiled their plan within 10 minutes. During extreme weather, no one digs anything out themselves. If the city doesn't do it, they take mass transit. The city usually does a good job of digging things out, however, so the same rules apply-- you drive until you find a space and you walk however far you need to.

I also lived in Queens for a year. Again, no such practice. People don't save spaces in NYC.
Thanks for posting this!

Old 02-15-2010, 09:09 AM

13,225 posts, read 10,877,922 times
So are we really getting slammed with snow again today? The Weather Channel "weather on the 8s" dealy said an inch today and up to 2 overnight, but the local weather people are saying up to 8-9" by tomorrow morning.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:31 AM

43,017 posts, read 50,514,256 times
This morning the weather forecast said 2" to 12" of snow. That's hillarious. Nothing like making the range broad enough to be right.

Old 02-15-2010, 10:23 AM

9,892 posts, read 10,198,053 times
The NWS "Winter Weather Advisory" currently starts at noon and says possible total accumulation of 4-7 inches of snow. AccuWeather currently predicts 1-3 today and additional 1-2 tonight, so that's only a few.

Winter Weather Advisory means snow is coming for sure but not anticipated to be enough to be considered a Winter Storm Warning. They basically think zero chance of winter storm (which is 6 inches or more) or else there would be a Winter Storm Watch. So the idea that we could get a foot seems really out there, at least in Allegheny County and close vicinity. Some places out to the south and east do have Winter Storm Warnings and could probably get close to a foot. Perhaps that's where the range comes from.

So with the worst snow to the south and east, hopefully it follows that to the north and west (i.e. my house) gets the least.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:53 AM

13,225 posts, read 10,877,922 times
It's supposed to be above freezing for several days starting tomorrow. How much of a mess do we think all this snow melting will be?

And has anyone had any damage to their homes? I've got giant icicles, and obvious ice dams (but no leaks,) but I don't think anything can be done about it at this point. And I am kind of glad I had my foundation repointed and sealed in the fall.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 02-17-2010 at 10:07 AM..

Old 02-17-2010, 10:03 AM

43,017 posts, read 50,514,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It's supposed to be above freezing for several days starting tomorrow. How much of a mess do with think all this snow melting will be?
If we get a heavy rain while this snow is on the ground, there will be serious flooding since the earth is frozen.

Regardless, I think we can expect some river and stream flooding in the Spring.

Quote:
And has anyone had any damage to their homes? I've got giant icicles, and obvious ice dams (but no leaks,) but I don't think anything can be done about it at this point.
A couple of my downspouts have fallen off. My basement will have some serious water in it. I feel sorry for anyone who has a finished basement.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:29 AM

438 posts, read 439,603 times
Quote:
And has anyone had any damage to their homes? I've got giant icicles, and obvious ice dams (but no leaks,) but I don't think anything can be done about it at this point. And I am kind of glad I had my foundation repointed and sealed in the fall.
Well the ice dams (or damn ice!) have caused significant leakage into our enclosed back porch and a little bit into our basement. Then, on Sunday, a leak started in our downstairs bathroom from a different dam. We found a temporary solution online where you put calcium chloride into a pantyhose leg and place it across the roof and gutter to melt a path for the water to go. It seems to be working so far. I hope it holds until the real melt, it is seriously tempting fate for me to be up on our roof as much as I have in the last 2 weeks.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:05 AM

20,274 posts, read 18,892,631 times
Our rental house had some fairly serious interior water leaking and damage in a couple places. On the house we live in, a giant chunk of ice ripped a cable wire off the exterior wall, which in turn yanked down a section of downspout it was passing behind. That part is OK, however--we've been meaning to reroute that downspout anyway, since we didn't like how it looked.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:13 AM

2,415 posts, read 2,998,161 times
So far, nothing. I dread it all melting, though.

I have about a foot of snow on my (sloped) roof, but it's impossible for me to go up there safely, so I just have to hope for the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh