U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-17-2010, 10:40 AM

42,583 posts, read 47,857,703 times
I'm wondering if we can lift up those huge mounds of ice on the ground that are located the corners of our house.

I'd like to move them somewhere else in the yard away from the foundation.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 11:27 AM

9,883 posts, read 9,576,576 times
The snow pack on the ground is equivalent to a few inches of rain.

It's good and bad that the temps will be barely above freezing. Good in that it won't melt all at once. Bad in that stuff will be refreezing at night most likely, and freezing water of course expands and causes things like roof leaks, etc.

I have ice dams going on both sides of my basic sloped roof with gutters. The back is worse because a) that's where the sun is and b) there's a bathroom fan exhaust on that side that is a conduit for some warm air from the house. Plus the furnace/water heater flue vents through the roof around the same spot as well, although at this point that for sure is taller than the remaining snow.

I finally gave a quick look into the attic last night (hard to get to) and wasn't able to see any evidence of water inside from my vantage point. Whew. But I can't see everything, so I'll probably have to do the even more complicated maneuver of climbing up in there to look a little closer. But I don't think I'll have a serious problem, luckily. Minor problem is not a big deal. The standard shingle roof is 26 years old and by any measure should be replaced soon if I want to be sure to prevent issues. (Seems to be in good shape though, and so far is proving me right through this.) The gutters are a little rough, I mess with them a bit every year to make sure they stay up there and flow properly, but this is going to be a big trial for those, and I was planning to replace them anyway when I get the roof done. I'd like them not to fall off the house, but there are worse fates I guess.

I get a little seepage on the basement wall with enough water, just enough to make spots on the blocks. I don't worry about that. Even with the Ivan rains it never got any worse.

Good luck to everyone.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:12 PM

9,856 posts, read 7,594,234 times
I was walking home yesterday and moved every 'parking chair' I passed out of the space and into the lawn closest to it. It is like a game - see how many chairs I can collect in one day. A big snow does not mean you magically get to park right in front of your house for the next two weeks! If you have to park a few blocks away and walk home then that is what you have to do. This IS a city after all.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:33 AM

12,982 posts, read 10,306,834 times
Western Pa. region facing 'a flood of record'

Quote:
"We will have a flood of record if we have a quick thaw and rain on top of it," Mr. Loehlein said. "If we have a slow thaw, with temperatures climbing above freezing during the day and falling below freezing at night, flooding will be less. But as we move into March, temperatures could warm quickly and the risk of a quick melt will increase."
On top of that, pothole season is in full effect. I was driving down 5th in Oakland yesterday, and man that street is like driving on a cheese grater.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:41 AM

42,583 posts, read 47,857,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
On top of that, pothole season is in full effect. I was driving down 5th in Oakland yesterday, and man that street is like driving on a cheese grater.
I have been wondering why they can't invent a road surface that can withstand our climate!

Old 02-21-2010, 08:44 AM

8,316 posts, read 7,386,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I have been wondering why they can't invent a road surface that can withstand our climate!
What, and put all the union guys outta work? Shame on you.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:02 PM

12,982 posts, read 10,306,834 times
Urban skiing during Snowmageddon:
YouTube - Pittsburgh 2010 Snowstorm Edit

There were some guys in my neighborhood trying to snowboard the city steps by my house, but I don't think it was the same group. Hopefully they went down to Canton Ave (in Beechview)--that would be fun.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:07 PM

9,883 posts, read 9,576,576 times
Saw that video a few days ago, really cool.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:57 PM

419 posts, read 156,515 times
Am I the only one that might actually move because of Pittsburgh's crappy weather? I have had enough. I have had enough gloom, doom, and depression. I love this city, and I always think the weather thing is way overrated. However, Now it being late Feburary I think that I was wrong. This whole thing of never seeing the sun, maybe for a day, is getting to me.

Look at the forcast for even the big N.E. cities. They all have sunny days, and mid 40 degree weather in their 10 day. Then look at Pittsburgh, cloudy-snow, cloudy-snow, cloudy-crap, cloudy-crap, you get the point. It really is making me disgusted, depressed, and just ready to move on. I know, that in the south you get those obnoxious warm days. However, they atleast don't depress the hell out of you and make you miserable like these sunless and miserable Pittsburgh days do.

Maybe I am just in that mood, and it happens to be the worst of the worst time of year. I turned down two job offers in Baltimore last fall. The one firm still said I can come down whenever. I think it might be worth it. Atleast they got many sunny days on their 10 day forcast.

Old 02-23-2010, 05:04 PM

20,274 posts, read 18,272,966 times
I've been enjoying the winter, but that's just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh