U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 07:20 PM

1 posts, read 420 times

Advertisements

What is up with winter in Pittsburgh, PA this year (2012)? The average daily temperature has been about 20-30 degrees warmer than in previous years. I am usually the coldest person around, and always need a coat, but I only wore a coat on probably two days this year. It's going to be March tomorrow and everyone just keeps talking about going directly from Fall to Spring this year. I don't think we had any days with temperature in the negative figures this year. So bizarre. Is this a sign of global warming?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 08:22 AM

1,399 posts, read 871,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrbot View Post
What is up with winter in Pittsburgh, PA this year (2012)? The average daily temperature has been about 20-30 degrees warmer than in previous years. I am usually the coldest person around, and always need a coat, but I only wore a coat on probably two days this year. It's going to be March tomorrow and everyone just keeps talking about going directly from Fall to Spring this year. I don't think we had any days with temperature in the negative figures this year. So bizarre. Is this a sign of global warming?
Actually, last month was only 5.8 degrees above average:

Climate Data - NOAA's National Weather Service

Amazing what a difference it makes eh?

Old 03-01-2012, 09:01 AM

20,274 posts, read 18,986,085 times
That's still a crazy average difference (incidentally, that is obviously more than baseline global warming can explain, but on the other hand global warming is expected to cause more extreme variations from the baseline).

Old 03-01-2012, 09:06 AM

970 posts, read 742,130 times
I am loving this. If this was the consistent norm for "winter" in Pittsburgh, no one would hear me complain. We haven't had one snowfall this year that was a big event and laid for weeks upon weeks. I don't believe we've had any negative temperatures. I wonder if we've even had any single digit temperatures?

Checking the "long-range" 15 day forecast on AccuWeather, there is no sign of this pattern stopping. We dip off a little bit this weekend, but then right back into the mid to high 50s.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:08 AM

1,555 posts, read 974,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngabe View Post
I am loving this. If this was the consistent norm for "winter" in Pittsburgh, no one would hear me complain. We haven't had one snowfall this year that was a big event and laid for weeks upon weeks. I don't believe we've had any negative temperatures. I wonder if we've even had any single digit temperatures?

Checking the "long-range" 15 day forecast on AccuWeather, there is no sign of this pattern stopping. We dip off a little bit this weekend, but then right back into the mid to high 50s.
It was 9 when I was on my to work one morning. That's pretty cold by most standards, but of course it didn't stay that way.

This Winter also made me realize that if it only snows on the weekends and is always gone by Monday, I really don't mind it at all.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:45 AM

739 posts, read 613,098 times
The robins in my yard, the sprouting daffodils, and the buds on my shrubs all declare thar Spring is here. I hope it decides to stay.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:22 AM

874 posts, read 401,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippy View Post
The robins in my yard, the sprouting daffodils, and the buds on my shrubs all declare thar Spring is here. I hope it decides to stay.
This.
The birds singing, my daffodils are also coming up, and...my allergies are starting.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:32 AM

1,315 posts, read 2,085,462 times
I swear it's spring already. After the rain moved out yesterday, it got up to near 70 degrees. I went for a run after work in shorts and a tshirt. I saw many others on the trail enjoying the warm temps too. Some kids were playing in the stream that runs along the trail. All this on the last day of Feb. Pretty amazing.

It's funny how all the meteorlogists were predicting another harsh winter. It goes to show you how pointless long-range weather forecasts are. Even with all the computer models used today, any forecast beyond 5 days is basically a guess.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:18 PM

3,171 posts, read 6,773,144 times
Don't worry, mother nature will getting back by causing snow in May! lol

Old 03-02-2012, 06:43 AM

18,717 posts, read 15,757,159 times
At least the allergies will be over and done with early this year.

I figure since the season started with a surprise Halloween snow, it will end with a surprise Mother's Day snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh