Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2010, 09:58 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times

Advertisements

So we've been tubing down the church steps across the street from our house. That would never have worked without the approximately two feet of snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 10:31 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Thanks to a group effort of the men in the neighborhood, our street was dug out enough for one neighbor with four wheel drive to take another neighbor to the hospital.

A police SUV was stuck on our street earlier this morning. That didn't even bring snow plows back here.

Old 02-06-2010, 12:50 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Wow, that's crazy. Our road is BARE. Literally bare, although still wet. I live on a state road, but under agreement for the past several years our municipal road crew plows it instead of the state, and man they do an awesome job generally. They kept up with it all night and while it was a little covered earlier this morning they came through and knocked that off pretty quickly. Then the sun came out and took care of the rest.

I see they did in fact cancel that winter storm warning that originally went until 5. When I saw the sun come out around noon I'm thinking there's no way it's going to snow more today, plus I heard it's going to be 8 degrees tonight so I went out and shoveled the driveway. Well, half the driveway. Two-car garage, two-car driveway width, only one car. So it'll be a one-car driveway for the next couple weeks unless it warms up.

Sometimes our road gives a false sense of what it's like out there. I mean, any road that has been reasonably plowed and not totally shaded by trees should be in fine shape with the sun out. Anything not plowed is still going to be a problem though.

I spoke a little soon about the evergreens. The spruce tree didn't look bad, but a couple of the tall upright bushes got a little bent out of shape. Hope not permanent.

Snow total here about 19-20 inches.

Old 02-06-2010, 01:24 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
In all fairness, I live on a very secondary dead end road. It instills neighborliness. We always pull together as a group to get through things.

Old 02-06-2010, 02:40 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,776,309 times
Lost power at 4am out here west of Robinson and it just came back on at 4pm. I spent 2 hours digging my car out of it's parking spot. Snow was well over my knees, so I'm guessing there's at least 2 feet on the ground.

Old 02-06-2010, 03:10 PM

They've plowed the streets in Regent Square, but the alleys are still waiting, which is a problem because a lot of people have garages on the alleys. I joined a group of neighbors plowing part of an alley so some doctors who were supposed to be on call could get out.

Old 02-06-2010, 03:13 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,703,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
They've plowed the streets in Regent Square, but the alleys are still waiting, which is a problem because a lot of people have garages on the alleys. I joined a group of neighbors plowing part of an alley so some doctors who were supposed to be on call could get out.
We walked along East End Avenue and all of the side streets off of it between Penn Avenue and Forbes are in terrible shape.

Old 02-06-2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
We walked along East End Avenue and all of the side streets off of it between Penn Avenue and Forbes are in terrible shape.
Hmm, that sucks. Our cross street is in decent shape, but we haven't gotten off our corner so I don't know what is happening even nearby.

Old 02-06-2010, 04:17 PM

118 posts, read 282,368 times
We're all dead. It's early Feb, there's 2 feet of snow on the ground, more is coming later on this week, and we're in a deep-freeze with no end in sight. We're all gonna die. This is it. This is the end for Pittsburgh and the mid-Atlantic. This is our armageddon. God is finally punishing us for sucking so much. Go Steelers.

Old 02-06-2010, 04:20 PM

285 posts, read 862,085 times
Nothing in Central / South Oakland is plowed, not even the Boulevard. People got stuck coming up the boulevard and just left their cars. A kind passerby helped me shovel my sidewalk, and I helped people dig two cars out. I like how the snow brings people together. Also, lots of impressive snowmen in Oakland! One was built on a rooftop, I saw another one that was at least 12 feet tall!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh