Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 07:21 PM

7 posts, read 24,513 times

Advertisements

I am considering a position downtown in the USX Steel Tower - 600 Grant street. I live in O'hara township. What is a good time (if any) to hit route 28 for a faster commute? Is there any park and ride service to downtown.

Also where should I park for the US Steel tower building?

Many thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 09:21 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
You're in luck. USX is one of the most convenient office buildings for commuting from the North Hills via Route 28 or I279 since the ramp exits right next to it. The best place to park depends on how much you want to spend. You could park at the Civic Arena and take a shuttle. Or you could park at the Mellon parking garage which is a block away from USX and a straight shot from the exit ramp.

I have noticed that there is a faster window for commuting on Route 28 after 8:00am and before 9am. The quarter hours seem to be best---8:15 or 8:40 since neither gets you into town at an exact start time. 8:15 gets you into town too early for a 9:00 start time and 8:40 gets you into town too late for a 9:00 start time when you take into account the time it takes to walk into the office. If you can have a flexible start time, this is ideal. If you must start earlier, let me know and I'll give you other suggestions.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:44 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
There is also parking available in USX itself. It is not the cheapest (in fact I heard the monthly leases are amongst the most expensive Downtown), but you can't beat it for convenience.

Old 12-16-2009, 04:45 AM

7 posts, read 24,513 times
Thanks Hopes and Brian.

I will have a flexible start time so hopefully I can make use of the right time window. So I am looking at a 40 -45 minute commute including the walk?

Regarding parking at mellon parking garage - does it get full? Is parking available if you show up around 9.

Brian, you are right about USX parking. No one who works where I do parks there. So it seems to be cost prohibitive. But the convenience is there especially in the colder months.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topittsburgh View Post
I will have a flexible start time so hopefully I can make use of the right time window. So I am looking at a 40 -45 minute commute including the walk?
I'd say 40 minutes for door to door -- that includes parking and walking. Depends on where you live though. Might be shorter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topittsburgh View Post
Regarding parking at mellon parking garage - does it get full? Is parking available if you show up around 9.
It has been years since I worked there. I know parking was available at 9:00 before Mellon merged with BNY. I would assume there are less employees in Pittsburgh now. I still have friends there. I'll call and ask. If you buy a lease, it's irrelevant since you'll have a parking spot all the time with a lease.

As for a park-n-ride, what part of O'Hara do you live? There's a park-n-ride on Middle Road at the Middle Road Fire Department and another in Dorseyville for the D bus route. Although not a park-n-ride, you MIGHT be able to park at the Waterworks if that's closer for you.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:22 AM

487 posts, read 1,379,947 times
Stupid question: do any downtown employers offer parking passes (or some sort of reimbursement) as a perk for its employees?

If not, what kind of rates are you looking at for the various lots/garages mentioned in the above posts?

Old 12-16-2009, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboy36win View Post
Stupid question: do any downtown employers offer parking passes (or some sort of reimbursement) as a perk for its employees?
Some offer free parking to select employees. Some offer discounted parking. Some offer tax free parking by decucting from the paycheck prior to calculating taxes. It depends.

Quote:
If not, what kind of rates are you looking at for the various lots/garages mentioned in the above posts?
Leases range from $250 to $450 a month depending on where the garage is located.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:35 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,526,102 times
This is my commute. I usually leave later so the commute isn't that bad. I would say that it usually clears up after 8:30. If you can afford it then park at USX. Otherwise I would park at the arena and walk to work. The Mellon garage is also pretty expensive. I try and park in garages and parking lots under $10 a day which is sort of tough to find.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:39 AM

Here's a listing with garages and pricing: ALCO Parking Corp - Pittsburgh Parking It doesn't list ALL garages, but it gives you an idea of prices.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:33 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Quote:

It's a pretty big perk if you have a leased parking spot (as you can see from the rates, generally not under $200/month or so for any garage convenient to downtown buildings), but it certainly does happen. If you know you're going to drive in every weekday, a lease will be cheaper than paying the daily rate, and in some/most cases it will also give you access to that garage for evenings, weekends, etc.

Another thing some companies might do is provide a monthly transit pass if you were going to go that route. If you have to shell out for this yourself, certainly the transit is cheaper, assuming it is convenient for your work times and wherever home is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh