Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 07:08 PM

1,164 posts, read 2,059,342 times

Advertisements

A co-worker of mine lives in Washington, PA, considered a 'bad' area by people in Washington County. As his neighbors sell their houses, he's been buying them, since the price is usually around $20,000. Since he can control his immediate environment, it makes him feel safer.

This started me thinking. Whole blocks in places like Homewood or Wilkinsburg are worth less than $250,000. Why wouldn't someone buy a whole block? Even if you had to put razor wire around it? Has anyone considered this, or is it a really stupid idea? With the right security systems...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 07:13 PM

632 posts, read 1,740,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyev View Post
A co-worker of mine lives in Washington, PA, considered a 'bad' area by people in Washington County. As his neighbors sell their houses, he's been buying them, since the price is usually around $20,000. Since he can control his immediate environment, it makes him feel safer.

This started me thinking. Whole blocks in places like Homewood or Wilkinsburg are worth less than $250,000. Why wouldn't someone buy a whole block? Even if you had to put razor wire around it? Has anyone considered this, or is it a really stupid idea? With the right security systems...
I have totally considered this idea myself.

All I need is a lottery win...

Of course, being a social scientist, I also want to combine the "whole block" idea with a few other interesting things....

Old 12-08-2009, 07:23 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,204,019 times
Unless there's some statistical evidence that most crime is commited by residents of the same block, I think it's sort of pointless. (And it would take a whole lot less razor wire to surround just your own house...)

Old 12-08-2009, 07:27 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,036,357 times
Washington, PA is actually a nice little town. It has some great street-level businesses and historic buildings. I don't ever feel unsafe there.

As for buying whole blocks, I wish people would do this in neighborhoods like Homewood and Lincoln-Lemington, and start rehabbing and reselling the houses. I don't know if it would work, though?

Old 12-08-2009, 11:20 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Interesting way to use extra houses on your block:

A Safe Street in Pittsburgh: Interesting Times : The New Yorker

Old 12-09-2009, 02:25 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Biggest reason is you are probably less secure having a block of empty houses all around you. I think it would be better to have people in them.

If you feel that the neighors you'll be getting are much worse than an empty house there...then, hmm...tough call!

I also think it if came down to having to 'secure' an entire block...you're better off with securing and monitoring a smaller area like your own house, etc.

Anyways, INTERESTING post for sure!

Old 12-09-2009, 06:44 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
The Pittsburgh History and Landmarks Foundation is basically doing this on a slightly larger scale in Wilkinsburg: they have selected a relatively compact neighborhood, Hamnett Place, and are in the midst of buying up, rehabbing, and then selling off properties in this neighborhood.

I'd agree, though, that in the long run you are likely better off being surrounded by improved properties and good neighbors, as opposed to a lot of vacant properties surrounded by razor wire. So to make this work well you would probably need a bit more money than most urban pioneers have available (e.g., the PHLF project in Hamnett Place is budgeted for many millions).

Old 12-09-2009, 07:00 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times
there are also a few "urban pioneer" types who bought and rehabbed houses in hamnett place in wilkinsburg in general pre-PHLF, and rent them out. not necessarily the same block, but it's the same general concept. it certainly is easy to do in wilkinsburg where houses can cost $10k or less and many properties are abandoned. my husband and i have daydreamed about doing the same thing, although we have mixed feelings about being landlords. certainly the mere fact of taking care of your properties can do wonders for a block or neighborhood.

the thing is, an improved block in or next to a high crime area can become a target for crime. the first block of edgewood next to wilkinsburg near the school for the deaf (hutchinson ave) is really nice, but based on what i've observed they have more break-ins and robberies than my block, which is not very far into wilkinsburg and is a lot more run down. i don't think it makes it not worth it to improve houses in run-down areas, but it is something to take into account.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:54 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
there are also a few "urban pioneer" types who bought and rehabbed houses in hamnett place in wilkinsburg in general pre-PHLF, and rent them out. not necessarily the same block, but it's the same general concept. . . . certainly the mere fact of taking care of your properties can do wonders for a block or neighborhood.
Good point. Although that might fall short of total control of your environment, I think urban pioneers can and do have a notable positive impact on their surroundings by acquiring at least a few more properties around them.

Old 12-14-2009, 04:06 PM

176 posts, read 767,381 times
That's exactly how urban renewal starts...Typically not one guy, you will run out money

You start with 5 to 7 independent investors, you pick an area with good housing stock that has been pillaged...You each do 3 or 4 nice rehabs, put a great propaganda spin on the area and watch the other bottom feeder investors come running...Then comes Susie and johnny homeowner to their new urban home and hopefully they bring their friends...

Where Pittsburgh falls apart, is after the initial investors sell off their properties and the propoganda machine ends...Those areas have a very difficult time keeping or maintaining the momentum that was built...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh