U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 11:16 PM

3 posts, read 5,998 times
Default East Suburbs: Lots of Questions! Forest Hills, Wilkinsburg, etc.

Hi everyone! I am a female in her early 20's starting her first 'big girl' job. I'm working in Murrysville, and I grew up there as well. However, I don't want to live right IN Murrysville, as I am looking for a change of scenery!

I have a dog, which seems to present a problem when looking for rentals in Plum within my price range. Every rental seems to belong to the "Holiday Park Apartments and Townhomes" people! Monroeville is also out of my price range at the moment. Anyway...

I found an apartment I really like in Forest Hills. I am concerned about a few things, however:

1. Commute time/traffic to Murrysville. Do you think traffic will be an issue? Remember, I am doing the 'reverse' commute...commuting INTO Murrysville from FH.

2. The apt has on-street parking only. Is parking an issue in Forest Hills?

3. The house that the apt is on is right on top of a STEEP (and I mean steep) hill. I'm worried about getting my car up there in the snow.

4. Boyfriend lives in Aspinwall. The quickest way from FH to Aspinwall is right through Wilkinsburg & East Liberty. Do I need to be concerned about driving right through the heart of Wilkinsburg/ East Liberty at night? It doesn't concern me too much during the day, but as a young, single, female, I do get concerned.

Thanks so much for all your advice! I love these forums and they were a great help to me when I lived on the North Shore this summer. Looking forward to some insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 04:50 AM

1,104 posts, read 1,476,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
Hi everyone! I am a female in her early 20's starting her first 'big girl' job. I'm working in Murrysville, and I grew up there as well. However, I don't want to live right IN Murrysville, as I am looking for a change of scenery!

I have a dog, which seems to present a problem when looking for rentals in Plum within my price range. Every rental seems to belong to the "Holiday Park Apartments and Townhomes" people! Monroeville is also out of my price range at the moment. Anyway...

I found an apartment I really like in Forest Hills. I am concerned about a few things, however:

1. Commute time/traffic to Murrysville. Do you think traffic will be an issue? Remember, I am doing the 'reverse' commute...commuting INTO Murrysville from FH.

3. The house that the apt is on is right on top of a STEEP (and I mean steep) hill. I'm worried about getting my car up there in the snow.

4. Boyfriend lives in Aspinwall. The quickest way from FH to Aspinwall is right through Wilkinsburg & East Liberty. Do I need to be concerned about driving right through the heart of Wilkinsburg/ East Liberty at night? It doesn't concern me too much during the day, but as a young, single, female, I do get concerned.

Thanks so much for all your advice! I love these forums and they were a great help to me when I lived on the North Shore this summer. Looking forward to some insight.
Usually the traffic is backed up going into Pittsburgh on the Parkway, not the other way around. I don't think you'll have a problem, just leave plenty of extra time just in case and then once you're used to it, then you can adjust accordingly.

I can't answer 2 as I'm not from Forest Hills. As for driving through Wilkinsburg and East Liberty at night, I guess you'll be fine as long as you're just driving through. Wilkinsburg can be pretty shady at spots but on the main highway cutting through town, you should be fine since it's well lit and you're in the security of your own car.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:26 AM

1,388 posts, read 1,281,752 times
Quote:

If the street you're talking about is Marion, it is well maintained in the winter because the police/fire/ambulance is located at the bottom of the hill so the Borough makes it a priority so that the emergency vehicles can make it up and down the hill. That's not to say that you couldn't possibly ever get stuck. That's the only hilly road in Forest Hills that I know for certain is in pretty good shape during the winter.

I've never lived in Forest Hills, though I grew up in the area and my mom still lives nearby. If you're concerned about parking, maybe try driving over to the perspective apartment after work, or at times that would be typical for you to be arriving at home, and see what the situation looks like. I would think regardless, on street parking availability will vary from street to street in any area.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:42 AM

7,360 posts, read 7,041,329 times
that commute sounds like it'd be a breeze. forest hills seems really nice too. whether you can get up the hill in the winter kind of depends on the hill, the road, and your car. you might want to get snow tires.

i would not be scared to drive through wilkinsburg at night - in fact i do it almost daily, on side streets (i live here). penn ave is busy, which makes it safer, and the odds of something happening to you while driving down it are very slim. if you're nervous, just lock your doors.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:35 AM

63 posts, read 221,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinare View Post
If the street you're talking about is Marion, it is well maintained in the winter because the police/fire/ambulance is located at the bottom of the hill so the Borough makes it a priority so that the emergency vehicles can make it up and down the hill. That's not to say that you couldn't possibly ever get stuck. That's the only hilly road in Forest Hills that I know for certain is in pretty good shape during the winter.

I've never lived in Forest Hills, though I grew up in the area and my mom still lives nearby. If you're concerned about parking, maybe try driving over to the perspective apartment after work, or at times that would be typical for you to be arriving at home, and see what the situation looks like. I would think regardless, on street parking availability will vary from street to street in any area.
One of my best friends from high school's parents (blah blah blah!) lives at the top of Marion and, yes... steep. I've never driven up that street in the winter. There are other meandering/rolling hills you can drive up (e.g. Braddock Rd. to Greensburg Pike or whatevs - although I got stuck going up Braddock Rd. during a snowstorm once, for what it's worth).

I can't imagine that there'd be too much trouble with on street parking, I think a lot of houses in FH have driveways/garages... I think you have to have a permit to park on the street, though.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:27 AM

20,274 posts, read 18,040,699 times
I doubt you will have any problems just driving through Wilkinsburg. It is a well-lit commercial street, and aside from some stop lights you will barely notice it.

Old 12-17-2009, 02:53 PM

Thanks so much for all of the advice, everyone! I feel better about this apartment now. The apartment is on Demmer in Forest Hills. Good advice on heading up there and checking out the parking situation after work.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:45 PM

2,043 posts, read 3,150,544 times
Quote:

That is the LONG CITY route. There is a quicker way to get to Aspinwall by taking Swissvale Ave in Wilkinsburg, to Montier Street, to Robinson Blvd, which turns into Verona Road, then make left onto Lincoln Road, bear to the right onto Nadine Road, left onto Allegheny River Blvd, to Highland Park bridge, once you get across Highland Park bridge, you're there...(this is the back way..disadvantages are that its very dark at night once you hit Verona Road and there is lots of potential road kill)...but I guess you have to crawl before walking, so go ahead and take the long route first until you get comfortable.

You can also take Penn Avenue to Fifth Avenue..make right at Penn and Fifth, which will turn into Washington Blvd, take Washington Blvd all the way down (past Zone 5 police station) until you get to Allegheny River Blvd, make left once you get to Allegheny River Blvd, take Highland Park Bridge exit, boom you're there...you don't even go into the 'heart' of East Liberty by taking this route.

BTW, crime happens everywhere...just beware of your surroundings and use common sense and if something doesn't look right..FLOOR IT.

Last edited by Little Mizz Pittsburgh; 12-17-2009 at 08:03 PM..

Old 12-17-2009, 09:38 PM

Little Mizz Pittsburgh - you are awesome! I am printing out your reply so I can navigate this 'back way' sometime during the day to check it out. I really appreciate the directions!

Old 12-18-2009, 06:09 AM

20,274 posts, read 18,040,699 times
I find the Penn/Fifth/Washington route to be quite fast as long as there isn't traffic, because the timing of the lights seems to work out well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh