U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-19-2007, 05:05 PM

104 posts, read 241,269 times
Default Trying to make the best of this...

Hi--

My family and I will be relocating to Pittsburgh from the Boston area this summer. We had our home here sold and had an accepted offer on another one in Squirrel Hill in Pittsburgh. Then all hell broke loose. Our buyers here pulled out and we had to ditch on the house in Squirrel Hill because of radon issues.

So, we're in a bit of a panic, but trying to suck it up. We will no doubt be renting a place for a few months there until our home in Boston sells. Could be anywhere from a month to a year or so.

We are re-thinking our choice of Squirrel Hill, mostly because it's so incredibly expensive tax-wise (and this is from someone who's moving from Taxachusetts!). Our children will be going to a private school in Shadyside, and my husband will be working in Southside. We're hoping to find an area outside of the city proper, so that at least we won't get the 3% wage tax, along with those ugly transfer taxes and yearly property taxes. We looked in Aspinwall and really liked it. We're looking for safe areas, with pretty good high schools (our children's school only goes to 8th grade). We're hoping to move into a friendly neighborhood where our two small children can make friends fairly easily.

Oh, and I will have my two horses boarded in Slate Lick, up Rte. 28 past Fox Chapel.

So here are my questions.

Does anyone recommend any other areas to look in that are within commuting distances for us? People have suggested Edgewood and Regent's Square, but are those in the higher-tax areas?

Does anyone know of any rental places (either apartments or homes, or anything in between) in Aspinwall, or other nice areas, that are reasonable and would rent month-to-month until we sold our house?

We don't ask for much, do we?

Thanks.

Jen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2007, 05:56 PM

41,709 posts, read 46,215,761 times
Edgewood and Regent Square would have the same city taxes as Squirrel Hill. You'll do fine in Aspinwall---or any neighborhood in Fox Chapel School District for that matter. I'll keep my eyes open for a rental that might do month-to-month for you.

Are your children going to attend Shady Side Academy's junior school? If so, did you know that the middle school and high school for Shady Side Academy are located in Fox Chapel?

Old 05-19-2007, 06:16 PM

1,856 posts, read 5,731,664 times
This is strictly my opinion, and I have no scientific fact to back it up.

Radon is one of the biggest farces, and money making scams going. Any house closed up winter will fail the test. If you follow the directions on the test box, it will fail the test. I had to pay for a radon removal kit when I sold my house. Several of my friends had to do the same thing. Who made money on these removal kits? The same people doing the testing.

Old 05-19-2007, 06:51 PM

68,611 posts, read 57,269,703 times
My DH is a PhD physicist and he would agree with you.

Old 05-19-2007, 07:17 PM

104 posts, read 241,269 times
My kids will be going to the Kentucky Avenue School, which only goes through the 8th grade. So if we're in the Fox Chapel school district, I think they'd do well to go there.

And as far as radon goes, it was one of many reasons for us not to buy that house. I don't know if it's truly a cancer hazard or not, but since my studio (I'm an artist) would have been in the basement we weren't willing to take the chance.

Old 05-19-2007, 07:24 PM

269 posts, read 705,176 times
Just an fyi - we're moving to Pittsburgh next month. We also had a radon test done, and our future home tested negative. The home inspector told us that the house shouldn't test positive as it tends to be more of a problem in rural areas. Still, you don't want to take the chance.
And it is a health hazard according to the epa. www.epa.gov/radon/

Old 05-19-2007, 07:29 PM

tmorrisn, I don't know why they'd tell you it's more of a problem in rural areas. Much of Pittsburgh's close surrounding communities sit on top of coal mines.

Old 05-20-2007, 12:20 AM

35,926 posts, read 55,187,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Edgewood and Regent Square would have the same city taxes as Squirrel Hill.
Definitely not true in the case of Edgewood. Its taxes are much higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhprentiss View Post
People have suggested Edgewood and Regent's Square, but are those in the higher-tax areas?
The difference in property taxes between Aspinwall and Regent Square (which is actually part of Pittsburgh proper) is not that great. Adding together all municipal, county and school taxes, the property tax rate in Aspinwall is $2,800 on every $100,000 of assessed value; in Pittsburgh proper, $2,940. The real question is, in which location are you going to get more for your tax dollars? I think the answer is pretty self-evident. Plus, you don't pay the stupid city income tax in Aspinwall.

Edgewood is a different story altogether, at over $3,500 per $100,000 of assessed value. If property taxes is a concern, steer clear.

Old 05-20-2007, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Edgewood is a different story altogether, at over $3,500 per $100,000 of assessed value. If property taxes is a concern, steer clear.
Thanks for clarifying that Edgewood isn't within the city limits.

I've never considered it a desirable area to live because the Woodland Hills School District (which Edgewood students attend) is absolutely terrible.

There's constant racial tension and fighting in Woodland Hills schools.

Old 05-20-2007, 10:58 AM

35,926 posts, read 55,187,985 times
The house my ex and I were looking at was in Edgewood. Beautiful four-bedroom three-story affair with wood everywhere, including nice shiny hardwood floors... for 85 grand. Only drawback I could see at the time was no garage. Of course, we didn't have any kids. If I did, I wouldn't have anything to do with that district either...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh