U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 07:38 PM

78 posts, read 88,198 times
Default We lost a place in Friendship . . .

Because we took a moment to breathe. We are moving to Pittsburgh in 11 DAYS, and have no place to live. We thought we wanted to be in Pittsburgh proper simply because of the sheer number of things our 10 year old could enjoy. Now we have an option on a place in Mt. Lebanon, and my thinking is all askew. Better schools? Commute? How about activities? Your thoughts, oh wise Pittsburghians?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 07:48 PM

1,720 posts, read 2,362,671 times
Mt. Lebanon is an upscale inner-ring suburb of the city. It is a nice place for families and the school is good. And, the city is not very far away.

Old 12-20-2009, 07:54 PM

20,274 posts, read 17,952,423 times
Mt. Lebanon is particularly convenient if you take the T. Generally, lots of people cross-shop the nicer East End neighborhoods and Mt. Lebanon.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:11 PM

Can I thank BrianTH for always being there, and always having great advice? I so much appreciate your intelligence, and, quite simply the fact your insight is on point! You are a Pittsburgh national landmark!

Old 12-20-2009, 08:49 PM

41,737 posts, read 46,336,329 times
I'm thinking you should learn your lesson about waiting too long to make a decision. Rentals go quickly in the Pittsburgh metro area!

Old 12-20-2009, 10:53 PM

1,016 posts, read 380,252 times
Just take it...Your time has run out --------- its also the holidays so minus a few days before and after them....take it and you can always find or even buy another place....Take what Hope said above me SERIOUS...that applys to commercial space as well.xo

Old 12-21-2009, 12:09 AM

486 posts, read 569,661 times
Ditto what the others have said - take it. Mt. Lebanon is a very nice inner-ring suburb with great schools. You can't go wrong starting off there and taking your time to see where you might want to buy in Pittsburgh. And welcome to Pittsburgh!

Old 12-21-2009, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'm thinking you should learn your lesson about waiting too long to make a decision. Rentals go quickly in the Pittsburgh metro area!
Hopes, you are right, quite obviously. It's hard when you're doing this sight-unseen. And I should rephrase that -- I've done it before and never found it hard. Now that I have a child to consider, I make myself crazy. (Actually, he makes me crazy and I don't have the "what the hell" attitude I had when I was younger.) But again, thanks all. I'll get my butt in gear when it's a more appropriate time of the day today. ('nother problem about all of this -- I'm not sleeping well at all!)

Old 12-21-2009, 07:44 AM

41,737 posts, read 46,336,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhope321 View Post
Hopes, you are right, quite obviously. It's hard when you're doing this sight-unseen. And I should rephrase that -- I've done it before and never found it hard. Now that I have a child to consider, I make myself crazy. (Actually, he makes me crazy and I don't have the "what the hell" attitude I had when I was younger.) But again, thanks all. I'll get my butt in gear when it's a more appropriate time of the day today. ('nother problem about all of this -- I'm not sleeping well at all!)
I feel your pain. Don't worry so much about the house. Just focus on the school district. You can always find another house in the township after the lease expires in a year. Mt. Lebo is a great school district. It has an urban feel with sidewalks, shops and restaurants. I think you'll like it there if you thought you'd like it in the city.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:19 AM

3,319 posts, read 2,868,929 times
There are a handful of top neighborhoods for families in Pittsburgh and Mt. Lebanon is one of them. As long as it is not on very busy road I would sign the lease. Frankly, I don't think it is possible to not like it there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh