Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 05:11 PM

4 posts, read 12,139 times

Advertisements

Could you tell me which one of these East Pittsburg area would be more welcoming to a single mother of 2 small children w/no family already in the Burgh?

Would it be Larimer, East Liberty, Homewood, Squirrel HIll or the The Hill District?

Keep in mind that I am 26, originally from Upstate NY, relocated to NC, MD and currently in Marietta, GA. I need to be somewhere less costly to live but still offers opportunity, a night life, fun for my children and an "at home" feeling. I want to raise them in an area that I feel they would be safe in, has other children their age to grow up with (they are 2 and 7).

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2007, 05:55 PM

134 posts, read 562,879 times
Squirrel Hill is a very nice area, not sure what your definition of affordable, but for Pittsburgh standards (still low) it can be pricey. If you can afford it, go for it.

I'd stay away from the other areas, as you have named the very worst areas of Pittsburgh.

Old 05-20-2007, 07:17 PM

353 posts, read 1,728,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister brewski View Post
Squirrel Hill is a very nice area, not sure what your definition of affordable, but for Pittsburgh standards (still low) it can be pricey. If you can afford it, go for it.

I'd stay away from the other areas, as you have named the very worst areas of Pittsburgh.
I agree

Look at Morningside, Etna, Sharpsburg, Millvale, Dormont

Old 05-20-2007, 08:06 PM

101 posts, read 353,426 times
I agree with the others on the neighborhoods you mentioned. If you cannot afford Squirrel Hill, check out Greenfield which is adjacent to Squirrel Hill. I live there and never have any problems. If you have any questions about it, feel free to ask me.

Old 05-20-2007, 08:12 PM

4 posts, read 12,139 times
Wow, thanks for the info, I had no idea about the other areas. I had went onto this website about Pittsburgh and of course it didn't mention the areas being bad, although, Squirrl Hill was the most appealing to me.

Thanks for the info regarding the other areas. Could you tell me what side of town are they, North, South, etc?

Old 05-20-2007, 08:34 PM

255 posts, read 1,093,711 times
Cool Greenville

I second considering Greenville.

I was looking around there this weekend for a place to live, and it seemed very laid-back and safe.

The cost of living there is also more affordable than Squirrel Hill and other areas of Pittsburgh deemed "desirable."

I would suggest trying to stay in the northern part of Greenfield as in the south you get closer to Hazelwood, which is not such a great place.

One more option would be around Friendship Ave. in the Bloomfield/Friendship area. It's a bit more than Greenfield but it seemed very nice, especially around S. Mathilda St.

Good luck!

Old 05-21-2007, 06:50 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
I second Morningside or Etna. Don't go to Sharpsburg.

Morningside is in the East, near the Zoo. It's a city neighborhood so you might have to consider sending your children to private school. There's catholic school right in the neighborhood called St. Raphael. It's one of Pittsburgh's Italian neighborhoods, but not everyone is Italian.

Etna is right across the river. It's called north, but it's technically the east too. Etna is part of the Shaler Area School District. You wouldn't need a private school if you live in Shaler. Etna is a river town and the suburbs of Shaler are working class and middle class and upper middle class families. These families typically let their children befriend children who live in Etna.

Sharpsburg is a river town right next to Etna, but Sharpsburg is more depressed than Etna. Sharpsburgh is part of the Fox Chapel School District. It's an excellent school district but there is significant wealth in the suburbs. Your children would experience a HUGE income gap from other kids in school if you lived in Sharpsburg. Those parents typically do not permit their children to befriend children who live in Sharpsburg.

I personally wouldn't do Greenville since you have children. My girlfriend moved from Greenville when her son was going into first grade because she couldn't afford private school.

Seriously check out Etna. Make sure to pick out a house that is up on the hills----or be prepared to buy flood insurance because you'll regret it if you don't. Etna has significant floods about every 10 to 15 years. The last flood was four years ago. The community really pitches in. CNN even did a documentary on Etna and it's great community efforts. Etna definitely has the wonderful neighborhood feeling you're hoping to find.

Old 05-21-2007, 09:08 AM

255 posts, read 1,093,711 times
Default Greenville...er, Greenfield

In my post above I meant to say I second Greenfield, not Greenville.

I really don't know anything about Greenville at all. I just got the two mixed up.

My bad.

Greenfield seemed pretty nice though.

Old 05-21-2007, 03:53 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
I meant Greenfield too. LOL

I like Greenfield, but I don't recommend it for families with school-aged children who plan to use the public school system.

Old 05-21-2007, 09:35 PM

101 posts, read 353,426 times
I live on the side of Greenfield closer to Squirrel Hill and in the 15217 (Squirrel Hill) zip code. I agree that this side is better than the side closer to Hazelwood. My understanding where I live is that the high school is the same as Squirrel Hill and the elementary and middle school is shared with part of Squirrel Hill. I'm not 100% positive on this though. In any case, the schools are certainly much better and safer than in places like Homewood or East Liberty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh