U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 12:20 PM

60 posts, read 91,219 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of the University of Pittsburgh, U of Michigan at Ann Arbor, U of Wisconsin at Madison, and Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland.
As far as how important not being in a big city is, I guess it really depends on the city... Most important, I want to be somewhere where the people are nice. I hated Los Angeles the summer I spent at UCLA because of how rude the LA people I encountered outside of UCLA were. That is part of why I want to visit all 4 places before I decide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 12:38 PM

4,105 posts, read 3,295,709 times
Pitt is in the Oakland section of the city, which undoubtedly has a big city feel to it, especially when school is in session. It has all the hallmarks: lots of fairly tall buildings, businesses, banks, restaurants, easy bus access (free for Pitt students, btw), the libraries, museums, horrible parking situations, beggars, etc. On the other hand there is Schenley Park well within walking distance of Pitt's campus, which can feel like a huge escape from the hustle and bustle of Fifth and Forbes Avenues.

I just graduated from Pitt in the Spring, so feel free to ask me any questions or PM me! I think that visiting Pitt is a very wise idea. Unforunately a lot of Pitt's recruitment materials tend to give a false impression of what the campus is like by focusing on the lawn in front of the cathedral of learning and the panther statue and clock by the student union -- the only outdoor places at pitt that resemble a typical university. In the northern half (upper campus) there is a bit more of a traditional campus feel, but very few classes are held up there.

With specific regards to kindness I don't think you'll have any problems with that in Oakland or the surrounding areas; with so many universities right in such close proximity to each other people are pretty used to students. In a lot of areas most of the people will even be students or university employees themselves anyway.

If you visit I also suggest going to the nearby sections of CMUs campus, particularly near Flagstaff Hill. Even as a Pitt student you'll undoubtedly end up over there for some event or class, or just out of boredom even. It would also be a good way to get you over towards Craig Street, which you probably wouldn't see on a Pitt campus tour.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:31 PM

20,274 posts, read 18,997,248 times
People in Pittsburgh are quite nice in general, and in some smaller neighborhoods it is positively small-town feeling: neighbors watch out for each other, shovel each others snow, and so on.

Old 01-02-2010, 01:06 AM

60 posts, read 91,219 times
Thanks for all the feedback!
Do you guys know which ambulance services answer most of the emergency calls? Also, which towns would be considered close (w/in 30 mins) of Pittsburgh?

Old 01-02-2010, 01:45 AM

43,017 posts, read 50,879,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamar1 View Post
Do you guys know which ambulance services answer most of the emergency calls? Also, which towns would be considered close (w/in 30 mins) of Pittsburgh?
Ambulance services are linked to the local governments like police departments. You get whichever one is dispatched from 911 for a specific area.

As a result, no ambulance services are busier than others, except for the City of Pittsburgh but it's very unlikely you'll land a job with the city.

Old 01-02-2010, 01:46 PM

748 posts, read 1,494,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
People in Pittsburgh are quite nice in general, and in some smaller neighborhoods it is positively small-town feeling: neighbors watch out for each other, shovel each others snow, and so on.
This is true, and I think many people who move here expect Pittsburgh to be all 'big city' and 'dangerous' and full of unfriendly locals etc. To be honest, nothing could be further from the truth. Pittsburgh is likely the nation's biggest small town.

Old 01-02-2010, 04:51 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,555,062 times
Out of all the towns you mentioned, I would probably say that Pittsburgh has everything you're looking for, small town atmosphere but the amenities of a big city, lots of culture and entertainment, many job opportunities for what you're looking for, etc. Still, if Pittsburgh isn't what you're looking for, I'll suggest a few towns within a half hour drive. Washington (pop. 25,000) is south of Pittsburgh in Washington County and is home to Washington and Jefferson University. Greensburg (pop. 40,000) is a little farther out to the east, but it has more options than Washington including Seton Hill University, St. Vincent College and University of Pittsburgh at Greensburg. If you like winter sports, there's also a number of ski resorts a half hour east of Greensburg.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:56 PM

135 posts, read 242,868 times
I would suggest looking at Clarion University as well small college town but going thru expansion it is a lil over an hour north of Pittsburgh, and you my be able get a child care or EMS job there, because there is like almost a dozen small towns around it and they all have their own volunteer fire departments and several EMS companies plus if you need to decompress Niagara Falls is no more than 3 hours away with lots to do and Pittsburgh south of ya.
Good luck and hope to see yinz soon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh