U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-30-2009, 09:16 AM

8,422 posts, read 7,579,243 times

Advertisements

All kidding aside, I think you'll enjoy your stay in PA. If you like Cranberry I would for homes north of rte 228. There are a ton of plans along Franklin Road with all ranges of values. You would be close to the shopping areas, the PA turnpike, and your husband could take Rte 68 into Butler, traffic would be minimal.

The City of Butler has seen better times, but there is one great restaurant there the name of which I can't recall. The YMCA looked pretty nice the last time I was there, although there are a lot of vacant store fronts. The one thing that may surprise you are the street lights. If memory serves, they still have bells that ring to help the blind.

Good luck.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 09:31 AM

54 posts, read 69,481 times
hi greg42

thank you the links were very helpful. Puts things in prospective.

Seneca moved from 43th-48 to 16th in 5 yrs. is pretty impressive.

that was one of the questions i had. with all the renewed interest in cranberry, the school system should be keeping up with the change. right?

Last edited by apirlrain; 12-30-2009 at 09:45 AM..

Old 12-30-2009, 09:41 AM

30 posts, read 44,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
All kidding aside, I think you'll enjoy your stay in PA. If you like Cranberry I would for homes north of rte 228. There are a ton of plans along Franklin Road with all ranges of values. You would be close to the shopping areas, the PA turnpike, and your husband could take Rte 68 into Butler, traffic would be minimal.

The City of Butler has seen better times, but there is one great restaurant there the name of which I can't recall. The YMCA looked pretty nice the last time I was there, although there are a lot of vacant store fronts. The one thing that may surprise you are the street lights. If memory serves, they still have bells that ring to help the blind.

Good luck.
If you are talking Italian food, try Serventi's (do NOT judge by location & appearances -- the food is out of this world) or Natili's on Main Street. I have heard from family & friends (long-time residents & former business owners) that the Monroe Hotel (corner of Jefferson & Monroe Streets, just down the road from the new ER entrance) has fantastic food in the family restaurant. At Clearview Mall try Garfield's. There are also the usual chains both out by the Mall on the north side of town and in the other main shopping area (Target, Lowe's, Sam's Club, etc.) such as Chili's, Red Lobster, etc. Best place for reasonably priced comfort food is Eat 'n Park where you can get breakfast 24 hours a day and pick up some Steelers smiley cookies when you leave (local area chain).

They do still have the audible signals for the Walk signs at the crosswalks on Main Street although they are not the pleasant bells from a few years ago. Still, it's such a wonderful idea and they were doing it before many other urban areas.

Forgot to mention earlier, if you're into antiques at all, there are some wonderful stores in Butler.

Again, that corner of PA is a wonderful area if you end up there. I hope that you will get some time to explore some more of the area next time you visit.

Last edited by Kanukook; 12-30-2009 at 09:51 AM..

Old 12-30-2009, 09:45 AM

8,422 posts, read 7,579,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanukook View Post
If you are talking Italian food, try Serventi's (do NOT judge by location & appearances -- the food is out of this world) or Natili's on Main Street. I have heard from family & friends (long-time residents & former business owners) that the Monroe Hotel (corner of Jefferson & Monroe Streets, just down the road from the new ER entrance) has fantastic food in the famly restaurant. At Clearview Mall try Garfield's. .
Bingo!

That's the place, good food, great prices.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:45 AM

43,011 posts, read 49,321,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apirlrain View Post
Question: BHM expansion for the better? would you go to BHM for medical needs?
Most people in the area go to BHM for medical needs. I have never hesitated going there when I've had an emergency while in the area.

(To put this into perspective, I drove from Bradford to Pittsburgh, a four hour drive, because I didn't want to go to Bradford's hospital!)

For more serious medical issues, residents go to the hospitals in Pittsburgh, but that's normal for a rural hospital system near a major city.

Butler Memorial has a helicopter landing for transferring patients to Pittsburgh hospitals when necessary.

Most of the community hospitals in the suburbs of Allegheny County do the same.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
INote, based on paging through about the first 200, then searching, then testing a known search, Hampton and Pine-Richland which could be among usual suspects are not even in the rankings. Why, I don't know, but the site says they're not in there though recognizes the names.
This is the website I always use.

Pennsylvania Public School Rankings

You can sort by counties, districts, high schools, middle schools, and elementary schools.

It includes all schools and districts. I've never had any not show up.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:33 AM

9,886 posts, read 9,895,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
This is the website I always use.

Pennsylvania Public School Rankings

You can sort by counties, districts, high schools, middle schools, and elementary schools.

It includes all schools and districts. I've never had any not show up.
Can't see a way to rank districts. You have to pay to get anything newer than 2001, and judging by the samples doesn't really look like it's worth paying for. Uses the same PSSA scores as elsewhere.

The Business Times ranking takes the PSSA scores and averages last 3 years. They rank by elementary, middle and high schools too as I recall, although it appears not all the details are free on the web site. They put out a huge supplement to the paper each May, and you can buy this thing separately. They seem to do a decent job, but there are always other variables that can't be quantified in these stats. Here's another article on how and what they do with rankings: http://pittsburgh.bizjournals.com/pi...1/daily36.html

BTW, I don't know where the other weird site with the missing districts came from. It was linked here by someone earlier and I just happened to look through and see what happened to be there.

Last edited by greg42; 12-30-2009 at 11:46 AM..

Old 12-30-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Can't see a way to rank districts. You have to pay to get anything newer than 2001, and judging by the samples doesn't really look like it's worth paying for. Uses the same PSSA scores as elsewhere.
It's worth is in the fact it has data for all districts, none are missing.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:05 PM

30 posts, read 44,301 times
It would be more beneficial to go to the State Department of Education and access their figures for the PSSA and also the AYP (Adequate Yearly Progress) data that must, by law, be reported to the federal government due to requirements of NCLB (No Child Left Behind). The AYP data would give you a better measure for where the school districts are functioning. Each year, the required threshold for achieving AYP is raised from the previous year so if you see that a school continues to meet AYP, then the academic achievement of students in that school continues to rise. The data is available here: School Assessments

I would recommend using the excel downloads as they are a little easeir to read and manipulate by data sorting to find what you're looking for in the information. I would, however, caution anyone not to rely solely on these testing results when judging/evaluating a school as they do not measure everything that goes into making a school. There are no instruments that measure parent involvement, economic commitment, teacher/employee satisfaction, student happiness, quality of extra-curricular programming, facility environment, etc. Your best bet is to do some research and then visit for yourself.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:20 PM

1,147 posts, read 1,113,147 times
Butler Memorial is more of a regional hospital than a rural hospital. People in Lawrence County often choose it (especially for cardiac care) over UPMC Passavant in Cranberry and St Elizabeth's in Youngstown.

Butler is a very pretty, quaint small town - clean with nice parks and a surprisingly busy main street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh