Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 08:39 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,935,659 times

Advertisements

Aprilrain,

I see you said you live in a marine town known for tatoo parlors and everything is far away (airports and nice amenities 2 hours away), are you in Jacksonville, NC? Just wondering, because my brother lives there and for being near the beach, i thought it pretty much sucked...........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 08:57 PM

54 posts, read 116,496 times
ding ding ding you are correct hahahaha

Old 01-17-2010, 09:39 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,935,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apirlrain View Post
ding ding ding you are correct hahahaha
LOL I knew it! haha! Not to get too off topic, but as soon as i heard tattoos and 2 hour drives i knew it had to be!

My brother teaches high school there and seems to like it. He teaches school with and lives near a lot of people from Ne Ohio, so it's like home away from home w/out the amenities. He loves the weather there, but i know his misses his professional sports being nearby. He also misses the concerts, shows, and shopping that is all within an hour's drive of home. Besides that i think he really misses all the great italian food and pizza we have here. I think you'll find that Ne Ohio and W. Pa have a lot more to offer all the way around, save the weather and the beach. Good luck to the hubby on the interview, i hope the Pittsburgh area is a good fit for you both!

Old 01-19-2010, 08:08 AM

31 posts, read 96,703 times
May I ask what specialty your husband is in AprilRain? My wife just started at BMH this month in the Emergency Department (which is being renovated as we speak btw....should be very nice when it's complete). We looked at the same communities as you are, and actually ended up deciding to move a little bit farther North of Cranberry (just between Harmony and Portersville). Her commute into BMH will be about 15-20 min, and my drive to Bridgeville will be about 40-45. The area we're in is nice if you like a little quieter setting, less traffic, but still having easy/quick access to amenities (we can be down into Cranberry in 10-15 minutes). Hope your trip is going well!

-C

Old 01-19-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyranha View Post
May I ask what specialty your husband is in AprilRain? My wife just started at BMH this month in the Emergency Department (which is being renovated as we speak btw....should be very nice when it's complete). We looked at the same communities as you are, and actually ended up deciding to move a little bit farther North of Cranberry (just between Harmony and Portersville). Her commute into BMH will be about 15-20 min, and my drive to Bridgeville will be about 40-45. The area we're in is nice if you like a little quieter setting, less traffic, but still having easy/quick access to amenities (we can be down into Cranberry in 10-15 minutes). Hope your trip is going well!

-C
lol surgery,
is your wife in the air force? if so yes, he met her ;p lol

as for housing, we are looking now ;p

Old 01-19-2010, 05:16 PM

31 posts, read 96,703 times
Quote:
lol surgery,

She was indeed in the AF. Just showed her this thread and she recognized right away that she'd met your husband yesterday. Small world!

-C

Old 01-19-2010, 07:33 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
See! You're making friends already!

Old 01-21-2010, 01:05 AM

135 posts, read 387,303 times
Quote:
lol surgery,

Yes if your still in town drive north on Rte 8 to see what I am talking about and the commute from Slippery Rock is only about 20-30 minutes and about the same from Harrisville and these are smaller schools in this area than what is in Butler, so basically the teachers will know who your kids are and their other classmates ,plus the quietness in the area is really nice and peaceful plus Harrisville used to have a great fireworks display on the 4th,I really want to move back to the area after I am done with school. but have to wait and see where I can get a job.
Hope you are enjoying your visit.

Old 01-23-2010, 08:12 PM

hi all
totally enjoyed my visit! everyone was so friendly, great vibes, can't wait to move ;p

visited the montesorri school in glenshaw, AWESOME.
so we are looking to be close commute to that. rt 8 is awesome for hubby's commute too.

saw a house in richland.
need help, hampton vs pine vs richland school district, etc?

we don't need school til 6 grade, but i want to be in a good school district so when we are done with montesorri. we don't have to MOVE.

there isn't many houses now on the mkt for hampton. but the montesorri was very happy with hampton. bias ;p

i was told pine is more desirable than richland, what is some thoughts on that. the house is on the richland side.

i only drove up and down rt 8. is pine/richland convenient? grocery day to day? costco, sams etc.

still don't have a good grasp on the lands due to topography, i am usually pretty good, but the hills throws me off. especially since my awesome realtor knows all the back roads. need to study the map more.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:22 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
Parts of Pine may be more convenient than Richland to certain things (shopping in the McKnight/Wexford/Cranberry areas, for example, also North Park, but not by a lot), but it's the same school district so it doesn't matter that much I wouldn't think. The further you go into Pine, the less convenient (somewhat) it will be to Butler anyway. Hampton vs Pine Richland schools, both are good, Hampton is a little smaller.

Costco is in Cranberry. Sam's is either well over near I-279 at Camp Horne Rd (the place is called Mt Nebo Pointe) or at Pittsburgh Mills. The latter is probably closer but which location go to may depend upon what else you are doing that day. Other day to day stuff is closer. Target and Lowe's right in Richland on Rt 8, Giant Eagle (dominant regional grocery chain, see the current thread LOL) somewhere there as well, pluse other grocery stores I'm sure, Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Kohls.... These are a bit spread out on Rt 8 but convenient enough. You'd only be leaving that corridor for Costco/Sam's if you want that and typical indoor mall and department stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh