Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 04:50 PM

30 posts, read 72,695 times

Advertisements

Hello OPs
I am moving my family this summer. I MUST narrow it down to ONE place so I can get myself prepared. I have did research on the Triangle (North Carolina), Columbus, Pittsburgh, and Indianapolis. A lot of people I know have moved to Georgia & North Carolina. Maybe if I can tell you what I desire, some of you can give me suggestions? I know these are personal opinions and I am the only one that can decide, but your opinions and advice will be greatly appreciated! Ok, here goes:

I'm a single Mom with a middle & high schooler. They attend schools that is ranked "Excellent w/ Dist" for the last 8 years. My daughter is interested in modeling/acting and my son is in gifted classes and plays football. We live in a surburban area, but I grew up in the central area of our city. My children WERE raised in suburban areas all their lives and most of their schools haven't been that diverse. I do want my kids to be around diversity, but the only schools that have high academics is the ones in the suburban areas? Importance: Good rankings, compassionate teaching staff, parent/teacher communication, & DIVERSITY!

I am looking for a 3-bedroom in the $750-800 range. I am also looking for a better quality of life. Our unemployment rate is a whopping 14%. We have a murder already and the new year has just begun. There is NOTHING for my kids to do here, so every chance I get, we are on the highway. There is narrow-mindedness too much here, and I am tired.
I'm an optimist. I love life and I want to be in a not-so-stressed-out-city. Now, I know there is no such thing as a "perfect" city, but I am willing to see what your city has...

bottom line: my mind is made up to re-locate; I just have to follow my heart to see where?

Your feedback will be greatly appreciated

Last edited by Nin Tai; 01-02-2010 at 04:57 PM.. Reason: misspellings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 07:07 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,922,722 times
If you are looking for ethnic diversity, you won't find much of that in Pittsburgh, which has one of the smallest Hispanic and Asian populations among major metropolitan areas. The best school districts are in the suburban jurisdictions, which are even less "diverse" than the city of Pittsburgh. Housing is very affordable -- but it's unclear whether you are looking for a 3BR house for $750K or a 3 BR apartment for $750. You don't mention employment -- Pittsburgh can be a very difficult market for some professions, such as elementary and secondary school teachers.
Not sure where you live now, but Pittsburgh is not a "stressed-out" city. Most people are pretty down to earth.

Old 01-02-2010, 07:29 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Pittsburgh doesn't have diversity in the suburbs.

You'll never find a three bedroom rental house for that cheap in a safe neighborhood.

You could buy a house with a monthly mortgage payment that low though.

Pittsburgh is a safe city, but our murder rate has jumped over the holidays. We've haven't started off the New Year much better I'm sad to say.

I hate to steer someone away from Pittsburgh, but based on the current information you've provided, our suburbs are not really a good match financially or diversity.

Old 01-02-2010, 07:37 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
I agree that finding a 3BR for $750-800/month in a decent neighborhood with excellent public schools is going to be a bit of a trick in the Pittsburgh area--our housing is inexpensive, but not that inexpensive. The best idea I can come up with is that you could look for a place in at least a fairly safe neighborhood without great local schools, then go the magnet/charter school route.

Old 01-02-2010, 07:43 PM

I will add that Pittsburgh is not a stressed out city. We're like a small town when it comes to friendliness and relaxed attitudes.

Pittsburghers are known for being tollerant, in a good way. Most Pittsburghers could really care less what anyone does as long as it doesn't interfer with their lives.

Not sure if those attributes are a dealbreaker over your financial and diversity desires, but I thought I should offer a positive perspective for you.

Old 01-02-2010, 07:54 PM

Okay. I just searched Craig's List. The rent is doable in a good school district, but it's going to be a difficult search.

As you'll (people who live in Pittsburgh and know the areas) see, most of the places under $750 are not in good school districts.

classifieds - craigslist

But there are a few!

Fox Chapel (Excellent school district and I know this is going to be an old, old house though): Ready now, Fox Chapel Schools (http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/apa/1528811864.html - broken link)

Shaler (not a top school but okay enough): Home with parking, dishwasher, convenient location (http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/apa/1527344266.html - broken link)

Regent Square (It's in the CITY, not the suburbs, but it's a good area and diverse): 3 Bedroom Row house (http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/apa/1518548081.html - broken link)

Shaler (again): Spacious House - Great Schools - Available in FEBRUARY (http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/apa/1512650524.html - broken link)

Greenfield (It's in the City, but it feeds into good schools): http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/apa/1501655693.html (broken link)

That's all I found looking through four pages of listings for the entire month of December, but there may be more options in the Spring.

Old 01-02-2010, 07:59 PM

As a matter of fact, there are a few houses in Greenfield for under $750.

classifieds - craigslist

They're not pretty rentals, but it's a nice, family neighborhood that has good quality, diverse schools.

Will you reconsider living in the city? We could offer you advice on various city neighborhoods that have diversity, safety and affordable rent.

Old 01-02-2010, 08:31 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Wow, can't believe you can find $750/month for 3 bedrooms in Pittsburgh!

When I was in San Francisco...$750 is about typical for getting a shared 4-bedroom apartment with 3 roommates! That's just your portion of the rent...

The places that Hopes is looking at are decent safe neighborhoods as well! In any other city, $750 for a 3-bedroom would put you in the middle of a warzone. Gotta love Pittsburgh.

I'm sure Indianapolis probably has similar prices (the whole region somewhat does)...but mountains and scenery beat out flatness and cornfields anyday to me

Old 01-02-2010, 09:00 PM

30 posts, read 72,695 times
Wow, thanks everyone... I'm kind of unsure now after reading the threads?
I live in Ohio and surprisingly $800/month for rental is a lot? I thought Pittsburgh's COL was around the same as Ohio's? You can rent a house in the central city here for less than $650??

I would consider living in the city as on OP mentioned as long as the schools are good? I know most suburban areas (in most cities) aren't diverse and I'm ok with that as long as others are ok with it? I have blacks, whites, and asians right on my block and we are all fine. My children do attend schools that is predominately white, but the rankings are the best, so I wouldn't have it any other way.

We live in between two suburbs and I like it. Suburban areas have less crime and it's more quiet than the city. To be honest, I don't go into the central city because we have all the amenities(grocery stores, shopping malls, restaurants, movie theatres, libraries) right where we live.

I want to thank you all for your "honest" opinions. Some threads can be misleading and that is not what I want when trying to relocate my family...thank you.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:10 PM

We do try to be honest in the Pittsburgh forum.

Even if your children are minorities, they will do fine in our suburbs even though the areas aren't diverse.

Our cost of living is low for house owners, not house renters. Buying property is cheap, but rent is rather high here.

If diversity isn't a HUGE issue for you, have you considered a smalls southern town where housing is cheap and utilities are low because the winters aren't cold?

I recommend looking into Roanoke, VA. It's an adorable, peaceful town in the southern part of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh