Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 03:33 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Maybe I have my geography wrong, but I remember the part of Wilkinsburg next to PB as a festering pit. It's the part near Regent Square that I thought was pretty nice.
That's the area I was talking about---the area of Wilkinsburg that runs along Point Breeze down to Regent Square.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2007, 03:39 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times
I lived on Center Street, all getting gentrified, and liked it. Didn't love it, but it was more than adequate considering I had 7 rooms, a duplex for $550.

Old 05-29-2007, 09:19 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,134,177 times
First time poster here. I've been in Pittsburgh for a couple years, have been through Regent Square a number of times and actually will live in the Wilkinsburg part of it starting at the end of the summer. I don't think there's much of a difference between the Wilkinsburg, Pittsburgh, Swissvale and Edgewood parts of that neighborhood. I know people who've lived there for a while, and from what they say it's really one of the nicer residential, family-friendly areas in Pittsburgh, and what the actual borough is doesn't make a difference.

As far as Wilkinsburg itself goes, once you cross the busway and get closer to Penn Ave, it can get downright scary. I think the guy who coined the phrase "wrong side of the tracks" had a very similar idea in mind.

Finally, as far as Elder18's question goes (do all the bad places in Pittsburgh look nice but are secretly sinkholes?), my general feeling about the 'Burgh is just the opposite: some areas don't look so great but are actually very safe (including Polish Hill, Morningside, and parts of Bloomfield, Greenfield and Oakland). The worst areas of the city really don't look too nice; I don't think you'll be mistaken.

Old 06-05-2007, 12:06 AM

24 posts, read 69,327 times
[quote=Elder18;760734

".. had a few people (including an Edgewood cop) tell me not to live in the area.

It did seem really nice though.

Do all of the bad parts in Pittsburgh look nice but are secretly sinkholes?[/QUOTE]"

Not all, but too many gorgeous neighborhoods are really basketcase hoods of shootings and thefts.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:40 AM

1,360 posts, read 2,949,948 times
I lived in the Regent Square side of Wilkinsburg and it was very pleasant, as well as convenient . Home values seemed to hold well there , although I was a renter. Over towards Penn Ave. it started to break down, but there was really no reason to go over there. After dark it was quiet and safe where I lived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh