U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 09:51 AM

419 posts, read 136,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
He isn't a doctor yet so quit assuming he has money to blow. And it's very possible that he's hip. I know hip doctors. They do exist.

Ss you said, Pittsburgh is small so you can live in a more affordable neighborhood and still enjoy the libraries and restaruants in a different neighborhood.

It doesn't have to be Shadyside or Squirrel Hill. Residents and interns live everywhere.
I read his post. He states a 700-1000 dollars for a one room. Pretty much Squirrel Hill and Shadyside. He is here for a year. He probably wants to live in a nice neighborhood that offers a electic vibe to it. Why not stear him somewhere he would probably really like for 700-1000 dollars. Why stear him to Greenfield? I like Greenfield. It is really nice middle class family style neighborhood. But a guy who is a young training doctor with 700-1000 bucks range on a one room apartment for a year close to UPMC. Am I missing something here? Anybody else agree with me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstoner View Post
Not North Oakland?
I don't know the guy, but with the adgectives he uses such as "nice", "safe", "young professionals", "close to UPMC", and in his price range, Squirrel Hill and Shadyside is a better fit. North Oakland is good also, but if he can afford 700-1000 for a one room, just do S. Hill or Shadyside.

I know there are people who have this thing against these trendier neighborhoods, and think others like North Oakland, Lawrencville, etc should be explored. As I agree, and am looking into renting a house in Lawrenceville myself. But these neighborhoods are popular with professional younger people without kids for a reason.

But a one room for the 700-1000 range in a neighborhood he decribed? Those two are the best fit.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:37 AM

120 posts, read 118,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstoner View Post
Mozart Management and Walnut Capital (mozartrents.com and walnutcapital.com) specialize in very nice, turn-of-the-century apartment properties in the areas you are thinking about. One hears mixed things about the management practices of both places, but I think the good outweighs the bad.
Thanks! I looked at Franklin West too, but their reviews are pretty awful. Will look at the two you suggested. Found some really cute apartments on Walnut, but not sure if they will fall within my price range or not.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSquills View Post
Everything the guy describes & price ranges for a one room are these two neighborhoods, and considering he is a doctor, I would assume he probably jogs through parks, walks a lot, etc. Don't let others sell you on being a "Urban Hipster".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
He isn't a doctor yet so quit assuming he has money to blow. And it's very possible that he's hip. I know hip doctors. They do exist.
If you all are a sample of Pittsburgh, I am going to love living here. To clarify, I am a female resident. I do walk a lot, but have never jogged in my life. I certainly don't have money to blow, but would rather compromise on the size of the apartment and the 'hipness' of the area to live in a safer, more convenient neighborhood.

Conveniences- ability to walk to work, good grocery stores (Trader Joes! There isn't one in the whole state of WV), places with affordable parking ( I have a car), vegetarian friendly restaurants. I am Indian, so having an Indian grocery store in the neighborhood would be incredibly useful. All of these are factors to be considered but not absolute requirements.

Once again, thanks for all the helpful tips.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSquills View Post
He is here for a year. He probably wants to live in a nice neighborhood that offers a electic vibe to it.
You are absolutely on point there. Right now, we are renting a three bedroom for 750 dollars, but these are subsidized housing rates, and the place where we live is probably one of the cheapest in the country. So I'm prepared to spend more for less in Pittsburgh.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesque View Post
If you all are a sample of Pittsburgh, I am going to love living here. To clarify, I am a female resident. I do walk a lot, but have never jogged in my life. I certainly don't have money to blow, but would rather compromise on the size of the apartment and the 'hipness' of the area to live in a safer, more convenient neighborhood.

Conveniences- ability to walk to work, good grocery stores (Trader Joes! There isn't one in the whole state of WV), places with affordable parking ( I have a car), vegetarian friendly restaurants. I am Indian, so having an Indian grocery store in the neighborhood would be incredibly useful. All of these are factors to be considered but not absolute requirements.

Oh, sorry to assume you were a male. I still think Squirrel hill would be a good option for a younger female wanting a safe and walkable neighborhood. Squirrel Hill is one of the most convienient neighborhoods. Groceries, two theaters, restaurants, library, etc. However you may need to go elsewhere for indian groceries like the strip district or Oakland. Squirrel Hill is not walkable for work to UPMC. Schenley park seperates Squirrel Hill from Oakland but biking or long leasure walks are easy to Oakland. Driving down panther hollow is easy on weekdays. It is a drive through the park to get to work.

You also do have North Oakland which is walkable to work. However, if you like taking nice leisure strolls to the grocery store or through a park on a Saturday, Squirrel Hill is more of you answer.

On more thing. Even a large one room right off Murry Ave in Squirrel Hill is at the lower end of your price range. You may only find street parking, but that is in most of inner city Pittsburgh. Apartments with their own lots are hard to find in Pittsburgh. You can luck out and find one with a cheap garage maybe.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:10 AM

Excellent. What are the major differences between Shadyside and Squirrel Hill?

Old 01-09-2010, 11:13 AM

40,271 posts, read 43,136,544 times
Quote:
Both neighborhoods have wealth.

Squirrel Hill is more family oriented (although a large percentage of the population are students too.) It's our Jewish neighborhood and it has an ethnic vibe of sorts in that regard.

Shadyside attracts a more yuppy professional crowd. It has upscale chain stores. It's sort of an upscale, artsy neighborhood.

Both neighborhoods are right next to one another. You can easily enjoy one while living in the other.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:14 AM

8,116 posts, read 6,835,696 times
Quote:

What hospital will you be working? If it's in Oakland, why not live there? I worked out that way for ten years, some great restaurants, I believe some are Indian, and you could WALK to work.

Live with the real people in Oakland, Shadyside and SH are all snobs.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Shadyside is a little more urban. It was developed in the 1880s. It offers beautiful housing lined up tree lined streets. It is "village like". A very cutsey, and posh style neighborhood with cool bars, nice restaurants, and upscale shopping. There is also another side of the neighborhood that is more functional and closer to E. Liberty.

Squirrel hill is larger. It has a much larger business section. I think it is more functional. It was developed in the 1900s and a little more spaced out, larger streets. It is kind of funky, and hold most of the Jewish population. A big plus for me is the parks. Frick and Shenley are on both ends of Squirrel Hill. It makes it nice to get home from work for biking, jogging, or walking in the evenings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh