Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 07:24 PM

142 posts, read 267,847 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am a doc-in-training who will be moving to Pittsburgh next year and working in Oakland. What would be a nice place to rent an apartment in? I'm looking for a nice, safe neighborhood, preferred by young professionals, and close to UPMC. I like libraries, bookstores and farmer's markets. I'm looking for a 1 in the range of $700-$1000. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 07:48 PM

524 posts, read 1,032,090 times
Shadyside, North Oakland (near Shadyside), Squirrel Hill would be your best bets in my opinion, for libraries and bookstores at least. Not sure about farmer's markets there - there are two in East Liberty; one indoors year-round, and one outdoor one in the summer/fall.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:08 PM

441 posts, read 762,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onwardandupward View Post
Shadyside, North Oakland (near Shadyside), Squirrel Hill would be your best bets in my opinion, for libraries and bookstores at least. Not sure about farmer's markets there - there are two in East Liberty; one indoors year-round, and one outdoor one in the summer/fall.
Where is the indoor farmer's market in East Liberty?

Old 01-08-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirade View Post
Where is the indoor farmer's market in East Liberty?
It's right across the street from Home Depot, at 344 North Sheridan Ave., though it took me a while to find it. Because of the ridiculous layout of Penn Circle and East Liberty Blvd. it's not immediately obvious how to get there. North Sheridan is a narrow street parallel to North Highland; if you haven't had a reason to be on the street, you wouldn't even know it's there.

If you're standing in the parking lot of Home Depot looking at the entrance to the store, it's on your right, in a smallish beige brick building. Here's some info. I found online about it that lists vendors and products:

Farmers' Market Cooperative of East Liberty - Pittsburgh, PA - AgMap

The info. says it's open Saturdays from 5am - noon. It's been awhile since I've been there, so I can't verify the times, but I think they're as I remember.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:53 PM

9,316 posts, read 12,924,819 times
As already posted, Shadyside, North Oakland, and Squirrel Hill are your best bets.

If you consider yourself a hipster, Lawrenceville may be worth checking out though.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:06 PM

441 posts, read 762,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onwardandupward View Post
It's right across the street from Home Depot, at 344 North Sheridan Ave., though it took me a while to find it. Because of the ridiculous layout of Penn Circle and East Liberty Blvd. it's not immediately obvious how to get there. North Sheridan is a narrow street parallel to North Highland; if you haven't had a reason to be on the street, you wouldn't even know it's there.

If you're standing in the parking lot of Home Depot looking at the entrance to the store, it's on your right, in a smallish beige brick building. Here's some info. I found online about it that lists vendors and products:

Farmers' Market Cooperative of East Liberty - Pittsburgh, PA - AgMap

The info. says it's open Saturdays from 5am - noon. It's been awhile since I've been there, so I can't verify the times, but I think they're as I remember.
Thanks for the info! Can't wait to check it out.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
If you consider yourself a hipster, Lawrenceville may be worth checking out though.
If you consider yourself an urban pioneer you could check out East Liberty. It has a bookstore (Borders), farmer's markets (see above), and a soon-to-be-reopened (summer 2010) totally renovated Carnegie Library branch.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:00 PM

285 posts, read 858,864 times
Here is a thread about Shadyside started by someone with some pretty similar interests:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/pitts...shadyside.html

Ditto to what everyone else said, in regards to Shadyside and Squirrel Hill being good choices. Also, think about the South Side and Bloomfield.

South Side is more known for it's bar scene, but also has a lot of restaurants all across the price spectrum. It has a nice grocery store and a farmer's market in the summer. There is a Caribou Coffee and Starbucks, as well as a Crazy Mocha (local chain) and independent coffee house called the Beehive. There is a big (probably chain) bookstore at the end of the South Side in the South Side works, and a small branch of the Carnegie Library. There are currently two buses that go from the South Side to Oakland.

Bloomfield is an old-school Italian neighborhood that is turning into a new hipster hotspot. It has a Starbucks and Crazy Mocha and lots of good restaurants, a small Italian market, and I believe a farmer's market in the summer, but I'm not 100% sure about that. There is a Carnegie Library in neighboring Lawrenceville. It was on the chopping block, but the plan to shut down any libraries has been put temporarily on hold.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:03 PM

285 posts, read 858,864 times
Also, in case you haven't seen, here's a site operated by the University of Pittsburgh targeting grad students with info about neighborhoods in Pittsburgh:

Cool Pittsburgh - Come to Learn, Come to Live

Old 01-08-2010, 10:29 PM

20,273 posts, read 32,901,514 times
It is tough to beat Shadyside and Squirrel Hill for a person in your position. Both are very convenient to UPMC (even walkable in nice weather), full of young professionals, and generally nice. Other neighborhoods could be fine too, but coming from out of town, I tend to think it makes sense to go with one of the most obvious places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh