Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 10:30 AM

362 posts, read 919,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwaver88 View Post
When someone gets on my tail I hit the brakes several times indicating to that person to back off. It usually works. They had better back off if they do not want to hit me from behind, or it will be THEIR fault, not mine. Like you, I am not a slow driver either. I usually drive 5-10 miles over the speed limit and you want me to go faster? I don't think so.
Here's an idea............IGNORE the person. Why?...... They are BEHIND you and have nothing to do with what's in FRONT of you. It's what is in front of you that is important when driving. Hitting your brakes is dangerous to you and the vehicle behind you. Have you ever thought that this could be just the kind of thing to REALLY push the person over the edge and SNAP??? Don't add fuel to the fire. You could find yourself getting hurt or killed by some whacko. It happens all over the country and nothing good comes of it. Look forward, not backward when driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 11:24 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Probably new people that have moved in from other areas of the country. Kansas City is really bad in that regard. I see more bad driving habits such as those you've described plus several others in the KC area than in any others that I've driven. I've driven in nearly 40 states and every Province in Canada except New Foundland! Your area still has a ways to go before it gets as bad as KC.
I generally agree with you, WILW, but I disagree on the above. It's common to blame bad driving on outsiders, but it's not usually true. That's especially the case in Pgh, which gets fewer than average newcomers moving there. If they have PA plates, PA college or sports decals on the back window, a license plate frame from a local dealer, they're local. BTW, my dad was a native western Pennsylvanian and a terrible driver. He was always following too closely, got some tickets for it.

I also agree with Heit about the tailgaters. My ex used to play games with them, putting on his brakes, supposedly "just until the brake lights come on", etc. His argument was always that if you're hit from behind it's always the other guy's fault. I finally figured out (before our divorce) what was wrong with that reasoning. I said one day, "Did you ever think that someone could get hurt?" It had never crossed his mind.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:09 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,203,240 times
Actually, I was doing some reading yesterday about aggressive driving and road rage, and sudden braking in front of somebody else is considered an act of aggressive driving.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:10 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I also agree with Heit about the tailgaters. My ex used to play games with them, putting on his brakes, supposedly "just until the brake lights come on", etc. His argument was always that if you're hit from behind it's always the other guy's fault. I finally figured out (before our divorce) what was wrong with that reasoning. I said one day, "Did you ever think that someone could get hurt?" It had never crossed his mind.
Another thing people often forget is that their break lights might not be working properly without their knoweldge. Furthermore, it's actually against the law in some states to decelerate or stop suddenly without warning. Pennsylvania's motor vehicle code 3702 pertains to improper breaking. People are misguided when they think the accident will be considered the other guys fault. If a police officer gives the driver who slowed or stopped a ticket for 'improper breaking,' the accident will be the fault of the driver to slowed down or stopped, not the person who hit the driver.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:38 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,542,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heit View Post
Here's an idea............IGNORE the person. Why?...... They are BEHIND you and have nothing to do with what's in FRONT of you. It's what is in front of you that is important when driving. .

Get real. When driving you should always be checking in front of you, behind you, and to the right or left of you. CHECK YOUR MIRRORS!

You remind me of my old uncle that was a railroad engineer. When he drove he only looked straight ahead, thought he was on the tracks.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:22 PM

1,895 posts, read 3,415,561 times
lol @ this thread...i feel so educated after reading the entire thing, yet somewhat bitter that i spent the time to actually read it.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:51 PM

I think things changed when they eliminated Driver's Ed in high school. It may have been taught by the dumb as rocks assistant football coach, but at least we got practical experience and the old Signal 30 death films.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:54 PM

362 posts, read 919,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Get real. When driving you should always be checking in front of you, behind you, and to the right or left of you. CHECK YOUR MIRRORS!

You remind me of my old uncle that was a railroad engineer. When he drove he only looked straight ahead, thought he was on the tracks.
Look nephew I'm not saying do not be aware of what is going on around you. I'm saying don't FOCUS on the vehicle behind you. Get it??? I drove a truck for 10 yrs and am always aware of my surrounding's when driving. The best thing drivers can do is look as FAR ahead as possible to see what is coming their way in order to react if in plenty of time if needed.

There are too many drivers that are SO worried about the person behind them that they lose focus on what's going on in front of them and that is how many accidents happen.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:59 PM

Ah, the heck with this thread, if the tree huggers have their way we'll be taking public transportation.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:51 PM

419 posts, read 448,161 times
am I the only person who gets ticked when they allow a person into a lane, slow down and allow somebody enter the road, or do some other nice gesture and not recieve a thank you wave for it. The arrogance.......If somebody does something nice to you, give them a thank you wave. It's simple Common Courtesy, and if somebody was raised right, or not on their cell phone while driving, then they would know to simply give somebody a simple thank you wave.

Ok, thats my rant. Carry on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh