Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 07:44 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,534,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSquills View Post
am I the only person who gets ticked when they allow a person into a lane, slow down and allow somebody enter the road, or do some other nice gesture and not recieve a thank you wave for it. The arrogance.......If somebody does something nice to you, give them a thank you wave. It's simple Common Courtesy, and if somebody was raised right, or not on their cell phone while driving, then they would know to simply give somebody a simple thank you wave.

Ok, thats my rant. Carry on.
No, I get ticked when you slow down when you're not supposed to. So even if that means I get a chance to get out in front of you (which will take longer than necessary because I'm not anticipating you slowing down in that spot) I'm not going to wave thank you if you do something stupid like that.

Seriously, traffic works best when people do what is expected according to the traffic rules. If that means I have to wait longer, so be it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 08:43 PM

15,631 posts, read 26,115,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Ah, the heck with this thread, if the tree huggers have their way we'll be taking public transportation.
I will buy a horse before I take a damn bus.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:57 AM

780 posts, read 1,375,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Another thing people often forget is that their break lights might not be working properly without their knoweldge. Furthermore, it's actually against the law in some states to decelerate or stop suddenly without warning. Pennsylvania's motor vehicle code 3702 pertains to improper breaking. People are misguided when they think the accident will be considered the other guys fault. If a police officer gives the driver who slowed or stopped a ticket for 'improper breaking,' the accident will be the fault of the driver to slowed down or stopped, not the person who hit the driver.

In that case HOPES, that cat that scurried in front of me, causing me to brake suddenly, used up one of his 9 lives that day. Sorry officer, the person behind me shouldn't have been following so closely....

Old 01-12-2010, 12:24 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,670,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I will buy a horse before I take a damn bus.
That's the spirit, keep sitting in the useless traffic!

Old 01-12-2010, 03:15 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,622,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hempfield mania View Post
In that case HOPES, that cat that scurried in front of me, causing me to brake suddenly, used up one of his 9 lives that day. Sorry officer, the person behind me shouldn't have been following so closely....
You could still be given a ticket for breaking without warning. The life of a cat is considered less significant than the life of a person. It could all come down to personality---who the police officer likes best. Feeling personable? Often rub people the wrong way? Sure, you could fight the ticket in court, but the insurance companies would have already repaired the cars based on the ticket. If you think you'll win in court by telling the judge how annoyingly close the other driver was following you, you just admitted to the judge that you knew the other driver was back there, and he'll likely not believe there was a cat. And it's priceless when you end up in court with a judge who is friends with the police officer. I could go on and on about how badly it COULD go, but the reality is that we could literally kill someone with the 'teaching them a lesson' mindset. Seriously, who is the one road raging in this scenario? The person who slams on the breaks.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:20 PM

780 posts, read 1,375,794 times
Braking for an obstruction or animal/person on the roadway is NOT improper braking. Not keeping a safe distance between your vehicle and the one in front of you is called "bad driving" and it is a driver's responsibility to be in control of his/her vehicle at all times (within reason), because you never know when the driver in front of you will have to slam on the brakes due to the above occurences.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:27 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,622,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hempfield mania View Post
Braking for an obstruction or animal/person on the roadway is NOT improper braking. Not keeping a safe distance between your vehicle and the one in front of you is called "bad driving" and it is a driver's responsibility to be in control of his/her vehicle at all times (within reason), because you never know when the driver in front of you will have to slam on the brakes due to the above occurences.
I just have a feeling that you'd rub the police officer the wrong way. Afterall, you feel so justified that it seems you'd feel the person deserved to die.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:56 PM

29,627 posts, read 34,098,587 times
National campaign launched against distracted driving

Quote:
A new national nonprofit organization, patterned after Mothers Against Drunk Driving, will work to curb distracted driving, U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood announced today

The organization will lobby for tougher laws to curb distracted driving, provide information and resources about the problem and extend support services to victims and their families. Its Website is at www.focusdriven.org

Old 01-12-2010, 04:23 PM

19 posts, read 35,029 times
I think some people get cocky and think they can drive really fast in their really big cars down that really big hill without a problem. The real problem is: in Pittsburgh, you cannot and it doesn't matter WHAT size your car is, you will lose traction.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:32 PM

15,631 posts, read 26,115,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
That's the spirit, keep sitting in the useless traffic!
What traffic? I don't "do" traffic. I work a mile and half away from home. I go to doctors and other appointments around peak hours. The less I have to drive around the morons out here the better. (You think Pittsburgh is bad -- around here people still use HAND SIGNALS. Really.)

And the buses have to stop at every street corner because heaven forbid people have to walk a block.... so your 20 minute door to door drive turns into an hour long walk wait and stop -- wait for idiots to get their money out, wait for idiots to put their money in the hopper, wait for idiots to get their lives together and then sit down, and then we go... and repeat this 27 more times.

For this you have the privilege of paying WAY more money than if you drove....

No, thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh