Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 09:18 AM

1 posts, read 5,124 times

Advertisements

My Husband is being transferred to Pittsburgh and his office is in Canonsburg. We have a 6 year old and a 2 year old. Any suggestions on great subdivisions to live in. Something like a master-planned community?

Thanks a bunch!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 08:53 AM

1,312 posts, read 4,774,629 times
Try posting this on the Pittsburg forum...you may get a better response.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:04 AM

9,325 posts, read 12,997,648 times
How important is the idea of a "planned community" to you. Are you dead-set on living one, or would a "nice suburb" simply suffice?

Depending on how much you're looking to spend, the South Hills suburbs of Peters Township, Upper St. Clair, Mt. Lebanon, or Green Tree are nice, quiet communities with great schools. They are also a short commute from Canonsburg. I hope this helps.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:09 PM

5 posts, read 12,146 times
This sounds very familiar, my husband and I are relocating and Canonsburg was one of his options as well. I think we are going to head towards Indiana instead and he'll work in Homer City.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:10 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,539,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritress View Post
This sounds very familiar, my husband and I are relocating and Canonsburg was one of his options as well. I think we are going to head towards Indiana instead and he'll work in Homer City.

I won't bad mouth either Homer City or Indiana, since I've had great times in both areas. BUT I'd pick Canonsburg over Homer City in a heartbeat.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:18 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,884,555 times
As in Master planned community do mean...neighborhood parks, pool,tennis, sidewalks and golf all contained in a neighborhood? (like many CA, TX neighborhoods?)

If so you aren't going to find exactly that in Pittsburgh. There are some but they are few and far between.

What is your price point for housing?

But there are GREAT community facilites and great family friendly neighborhoods all close to Cannonsburg. Cannonsburg has a nice city pool too.
Cannonsburg has some sketchy areas...but some real nice ones as well.

For Cannonsburg (cheaper than Peters) there is Borland Mannor, Glenn Cannon (houses and Townhouses) has community pool. Lindenwood (golf course community)

North Stabane area (don't know particular neighborhoods)

Peters has a ton of new neighborhoods and excellent schools...
Older neighborhoods like the Giant Oaks that surrounds Peters Lake park are where you'll find cheaper housing in peters. Stonehenge is a great neighborhood. There is one by Simmons farm. Timber Lakes, McClleand fArm etc...
OUt toward Venetia is alot of new/newer neighborhoods.

Really ALL the neighborhoods in Peters are good... just depends on price.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:31 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
I have to laugh at the master planned community expectation. Pittsburgh doesn't have the type of planned communites they have in Texas.

Here's a description of a Texas master planned community:

Quote:
Master Planned Communities are large new home communities that typically feature community entries, parks, recreational areas, schools and community shopping. Within a planned community there are smaller communities offering a variety of home styles and price levels to choose from.

master planned community listings in texas
Let's just clear this up: Master planned communites don't exist in Pittsburgh---not in the form of new suburban developments.

Here's a super detailed description of master planned communities: http://phoenix.about.com/cs/real/a/masterplanned.htm

Even Cranberry won't fully meet the OP's expectations. The OP might be happier in the city if he/she can give up the suburban lifestyle.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:37 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,963,523 times
I'm thinking Treesdale is a master planned community. Mt. Lebanon was planned but built out over many decades. They have the club house, parks, trails, and different neighborhoods with different styles of housing. But we really don't have many of these types of developments. We mostly have towns and villages that grew more organically.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:37 PM

1,895 posts, read 3,415,005 times
boy o boy! lots of fellow texans moving to the Pittsburgh area! where from texas are you moving?? and other posters are correct, you will not find subdivisions around here like you have in Texas...

Old 01-13-2010, 01:08 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
I'm thinking Treesdale is a master planned community.
Treesdale doesn't have schools and community shopping incorporated into the planned development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh