U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 08:40 PM

5 posts, read 6,688 times

Advertisements

Hi all!
Relocating from Southlake Texas! Have kids 13 and 14. One starts HS next year. My husband will be working by the Pittsburgh Airport. Could anyone recommend the best academically rated school district that is safe, or best in that area?
We like to golf, so a golf course community? The schools are the top priority.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 10:32 PM

43,017 posts, read 50,723,815 times
Even though you're not here yet, I'd still like to welcome you to Pittsburgh.

We have lots of fantastic school districts in safe areas. For now, I'm going to recommend Sewickley and Mt. Lebanon for you, but there are many other options that meet the limited criteria you've provided. If money is an issue, there are some options in areas with lower taxes or lower house prices. Let us know any other specific things you'd like in a neighborhood so we can offer the best suggestions.

Pittsburgh has many private golf clubs and many public community courses. Your husband will have plenty of opportunities to golf and meet other golfers whether he joins a club or not.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:32 PM

2,197 posts, read 3,962,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmove View Post
Hi all!
Relocating from Southlake Texas! Have kids 13 and 14. One starts HS next year. My husband will be working by the Pittsburgh Airport. Could anyone recommend the best academically rated school district that is safe, or best in that area?
We like to golf, so a golf course community? The schools are the top priority.

Thanks!
I can't really help with picking schools, but I can help in the golf department. There aren't many, if any at all, course communities in PA. That is mainly a southern and southwest thing, but Pennsylvania is noted for its abundance of fine golf courses, many in the Pittsburgh area. Regardless of whether he wishes to join a private country club, or golf on a public course, there's plenty around, with many friendly and competitive leagues.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania Golf Courses

The Pennsylvania Golf Association

Butler County offers cheap golf in the Pittsburgh area - PennsylvaniaGolf.com

Old 01-10-2010, 07:35 AM

1,856 posts, read 5,979,094 times
Northwestern Pa, and Eastern Ohio are polluted with golf courses. You will be really happy with that.

I know of a golf community up near New Castle, and I pass another one on my way home from the airport every day. You may not want to live that far away from the airport. This is at my 45 minute mark. Columbiana, OH - The Links at Firestone Farms - Columbiana, Ohio's Home for Golf

Today, it was my 30 minute mark because it was an 85 mph day.

There is also Blackhawk golf course in Chippewa. It's a 36 hole course in a great school district.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:27 AM

1,151 posts, read 1,137,223 times
Unlike Texas, Pennsylvania didn't rank schools until forced to by the No Child Left Behind Act. The information is on their website somewhere, but it's buried and difficult to use. I saw a link to it once on one of these threads.

Mt. Lebanon is like a denser, more urban version of Highland Park without easy access to any highways. The only suburb of Pittsburgh similar to a modern suburb of Texas is the area around Robinson Town Center. Everything is easily accessible from the freeway. All other suburbs resemble Arlington before they built all the freeways and tollways - one arterial road with heavy traffic, lots of red lights, and strung with stores.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugdogmaster View Post
That is mainly a southern and southwest thing, but Pennsylvania is noted for its abundance of fine golf courses, many in the Pittsburgh area.
I didn't even realize that's what what she meant by 'golf course community."

Treesdale would qualify. You're right, there aren't many here---probably because there's a large selection of golf courses available.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:21 AM

9,894 posts, read 10,254,090 times
Treesdale and Nevillewood are the two golf course communities that come immediately to mind. Oh, as I was typing some of the rest of this I thought of another: Diamond Run. I don't think there are many others. If you absolutely must live on the golf course or within a big development with a golf course, these are fine enough choices, but in Western PA terms you would pay dearly for that amenity compared to options that are near some other course, I would think.

Treesdale would not be very convenient to the airport area, so throwing that out you have Diamond Run, which would be north of the airport parkway not too far from I-79 and Nevillewood which would be south of the airport parkway not too far from I-79. Now that all the ramps are in place at the airport parkway, these should be about equally convenient. Also about equally convenient to schools, shopping, etc. (Diamond Run is closer to the most upscale shopping mall, if that matters.)

Diamond Run associates itself with Sewickley but while it may in fact have a Sewickley zip code I don't think it's in the right township/borough for Quaker Valley schools and really is several miles away from the center of the town. I'm going to dig up which school districts those two places are in then update the post.

You'll certainly have more options of desirable places, convenient, in good school districts if you don't restrict yourself to specific golf course communities but instead settle for something that's near a public or private golf course that does not have its own residential component.

EDIT: Okay, here's some real estate info on Diamond Run: http://diamondrun.net/default.cfm (broken link) Apparently you can still buy new construction in there. And also apparently (much like Treesdale) part of the community is in Ohio Township and part is in Franklin Park boro. This distinction also means two different school districts unless some sort of arrangement was worked out. Now on that site when you click on the 1, 2 and 3 phases it all shows Ohio Township and Avonworth school district. Franklin Park boro is in the North Allegheny school district. North Allegheny is arguably still better, but Avonworth has been steadily improving over the past few years and is well into the top 20 of the Western PA area.

Now, I'm less familiar with the direct surroundings of Nevillewood, but the info I'm finding suggests that it's in the Chartiers Valley school district. This, based on rankings I've seen recently including the Pittsburgh Business Times http://pittsburgh.bizjournals.com/pittsburgh/stories/2009/05/18/focus17.htmlwould (broken link) not be a particularly appealing option for schools. Around the general vicinity of the airport, the better districts are South Fayette Township, Quaker Valley and Moon Area.

Last edited by greg42; 01-10-2010 at 09:51 AM..

Old 01-10-2010, 10:46 AM

1,897 posts, read 1,795,892 times
good lord, moving Southlake, TX?!?!? i just moved up here from Arlington, TX...got here December. Have you ever lived up north?? my wife and i are lucky to have had a taste of the north while we lived in WV a few years back...

get ready for some MAJOR adjustments...it's another world up here. Were still looking for a place to settle in while we rent...

Old 01-10-2010, 11:25 AM

3,171 posts, read 6,765,634 times
Like someone else said, there are plenty of golf courses in W. Pa and eastern Ohio. I live an hour northwest of Pittsburgh, just across the border in Ohio. Our county alone has over 20 golf courses.

My boyfriend's family owns a golf course and competition is fierce due to the economy in my area. I'm not sure about the area immediately around Pittsburgh, but if you're looking for some really cheap golf you might want to do a tour of the golf courses in NE Ohio. On the weekends we get a lot of golfers from both Cleveland and Pittsburgh due to our very cheap prices. Last summer we were charging $13 for 9-holes and a cart during the week. On the weekend i think the most we've been charging is $34 for 18 and a cart. Currently our membership price for the year is $300 (green fees only), $250 for seniors. About 15 years ago when our area still had a lot of white collar and union jobs that paid very well we were charging $1000/yr for a membership.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:58 AM

Just thought I would warn about another thing that may be very different for the OP here.

SWPA isn't big on HOAs. You might find a HOA neighborhood here or there, but overall HOAs are fairly rare except for condos or townhouses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh