U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 03:21 PM

8,872 posts, read 7,704,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
I believe that it is Democrats and socially conservative Republicans from the Pannsylvania T who are against privatization. If it were just Democrats against this, it should have sailed through in the last two years since Republicans control the Governor's office and the Legislature.
a lot of the proposals (like this one) also change the way beer is sold and the distributors are afraid the value of their license might erode and often fight supermarket sales...then there's scarnati, who opposes it because he thinks his rural area would have less access to booze under a private system.
Quote:
Mr. Corbett said the $1 billion would be generated by $575 million from wholesale licenses, $224 million wine and spirits retail auctions, $107 million from the wine and beer license applications and $112.5 million in enhanced beer-distributor applications that include sales of spirits.
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...#ixzz2JUpZWqeg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 03:35 PM

3,525 posts, read 2,065,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
I believe that it is Democrats and socially conservative Republicans from the Pannsylvania T who are against privatization. If it were just Democrats against this, it should have sailed through in the last two years since Republicans control the Governor's office and the Legislature.
I think you're probably right. Whatever their explicit statements say, there is still a portion of the party that is worried that if we make it too easy for the Irish to have a good time, they'll never develop into good citizens and there won't be anybody to build the railroad.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:10 PM

4,690 posts, read 1,993,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
a lot of the proposals (like this one) also change the way beer is sold and the distributors are afraid the value of their license might erode and often fight supermarket sales
It seems pretty obvious (to me, anyway) that the provision to allow beer distributors to sell wine and spirits, in effect converting them into liquor stores, is meant to bring them on-side.

The rise of "deli" licenses in stand-alone shops or supermarket cafes has put the writing on the wall for the beer biz anyway - for many distributors, switching to full-service liquor stores will seem preferable to a slow death by strangulation from supermarket competition in the beer trade.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:14 PM

4,690 posts, read 1,993,363 times
Good take on the "good jobs" argument, from a source with deeply progressive bona fides:

Alcohol Reform and Wages - Keystone Politics

Quote:
there’s just no persuasive way to situate this into the larger progressive project of rising living standards for all workers. There’s no lesson to derive from it, no strategy, no nothing except protecting incumbents

Old 01-30-2013, 06:18 PM

8,872 posts, read 7,704,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
It seems pretty obvious (to me, anyway) that the provision to allow beer distributors to sell wine and spirits, in effect converting them into liquor stores, is meant to bring them on-side.

The rise of "deli" licenses in stand-alone shops or supermarket cafes has put the writing on the wall for the beer biz anyway - for many distributors, switching to full-service liquor stores will seem preferable to a slow death by strangulation from supermarket competition in the beer trade.
without a doubt it's a much better proposal than the one floated last year and offers real carrots. this article is the only one with details I've seen
Quote:
Corbett's plan also calls for:

Supermarkets and big-box retailers could purchase licenses to sell beer and wine. Convenince stores could sell beer. Restaurants and taverns could sell beer and up to six bottles of wine to go.

Beer distributors could also purchase an enhanced license to sell wine and benefit from package reform, allowing them to sell smaller sizes of beer such as six-packs. Beer distributors also could purchase wine and spirit licenses, allowing them to add liquor sales to their inventory.
Moderator cut: quote shortened, copyright protection
Liquor privatization: Pa. Gov. Corbett wants to shut state-run stores, auction licenses | PennLive.com

Last edited by Yac; 01-31-2013 at 04:47 AM..

Old 01-30-2013, 06:39 PM
Status: "GIANTS! Did you hear me screaming from Crafton?" (set 29 days ago)

2,680 posts, read 1,845,748 times
Sign the petition: Toast Liquor Freedom « Free My Drink!

Old 01-31-2013, 06:06 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,930,538 times
I have no sympathy for the over paid and under worked state store workers. I would feel bad for some beer distributors if this goes through. Some of these places have been in business for decades and will likely loose their business. Then again, there are many that probably deserve it. High prices, bad selection, and bad service. It would be nice to pay $3 or $4 for a six pack, like you can do in Ohio, Virginia, or almost any other place in the US.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:09 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,048,312 times
I think there will still be a place for the good distributor with loyal clientele who will carry some of the craft/micro brews that supermarkets/Walmarts will not. It will probably mean the end for most, though.

As for jobs, Ferlo's argument is transparently bogus as this will be a very good thing for the consumer. It's akin to mom and pop grocers losing out to Wegmans or the local hardware store closing when Lowes opens up shop. Did anyone cry for those jobs when they were lost? It's unfortunate but it's called progress.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:17 AM

3,587 posts, read 2,200,336 times
Corbett could use a boost in popularity at the moment; privatizing liquor stores is nearly universally popular among PA citizens; this combination may actually see the proposal come to fruition if he can get the politicians who rely on lobbyist $ on his side

Old 01-31-2013, 08:49 AM
gg

11,609 posts, read 7,858,194 times
I really doubt we will see a change considering we have been living in a monopoly for over 75 years, but what do people think? Is there a real chance of this happening, or is it more smoke and mirrors? I know the state stores had a price freeze in place for a while to try and get popular and they lifted that price freeze and about every hard liquor went up $5! Yep, that isn't a misprint, it is the real number.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh