Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 05:21 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,879,034 times

Advertisements

Besides age restrictions I don't know why alcohol has to be regulated at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 08:25 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTwila View Post
I always found it so odd that you can't buy a single beer at a convenience store or "7 11" here. It's almost as if "they" encourage you to buy 6-packs at bars or massive suit cases at beer distributors. Here is the deal: not everyone has tons of friends or is a raging alcoholic. I fall into both category! Sometimes I only want 1.
I agree. Not everyone wants a pile of beer in the fridge. The whole system is stupid. Highland Park residents need to talk to that moron Ferlo. He should be LISTENING to the people! If this was voted on in PA it would be a landslide win for privatization, yet some of these windbags like Ferlo are against it. Shouldn't they be FOR THE PEOPLE?

Sen. Jim Ferlo, D-Highland Park, said the state should not tear down a system that provides jobs and makes money for the state.

Read more: http://triblive.com/state/pennsylvan...#ixzz2JwboHeUR

Old 02-04-2013, 08:45 AM

1,657 posts, read 2,689,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Besides age restrictions I don't know why alcohol has to be regulated at all.
Quality and safety regulations are obviously important...

Old 02-04-2013, 08:52 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ML North View Post
Quality and safety regulations are obviously important...
What are you talking about? Quality of canned and bottled products will be done regardless. Safety? Simply put, there is a law that prohibits people under 21 to purchase alcohol. That is all that is needed and privatization wouldn't change that in the least. We are one of the few backwards states with this stupid system. People don't want to have to drive to a beer distributor and be forced to buy cases of beer. Also, people don't enjoy going to bars and paying those prices for a to go six pack. This needs to be changed.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
What are you talking about? Quality of canned and bottled products will be done regardless.
There are hundreds of regulations in nearly every country where liquor is produced governing everything from cultivation to branding and labelling. That's what I'm talking about, because UKyank's statement was obviously too broad.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:41 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,879,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ML North View Post
There are hundreds of regulations in nearly every country where liquor is produced governing everything from cultivation to branding and labelling. That's what I'm talking about, because UKyank's statement was obviously too broad.
I don't see how it would need to be done any differently then how safety is ensured in any other food or drink. Above & beyond that enforce the age & serving restrictions. No need to regulate who is allowed to sell it so long as they are following those rules.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I don't see how it would need to be done any differently then how safety is ensured in any other food or drink. Above & beyond that enforce the age & serving restrictions. No need to regulate who is allowed to sell it so long as they are following those rules.
I'm fine with a general deregulation and privatization of distribution, and I think that's what you're mainly talking about.

With respect to manufacture, there are regulations to ensure authenticity and quality of product, and there are analogous regulations for many other food products. I see many of those regulations as being necessary.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:32 PM
gg

Does anyone ever really think this will go through? I mean, the people want it, but I just don't think our government would do what people want. They are more about control and... well controlling.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:55 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Everyone call your reps and senators and drill it home that you want this to go through. Maybe they'll actually get that message for once. But yeah, I understand the pessimistic stance. It's failed a bunch of times before.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:24 PM

1,164 posts, read 2,058,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Does anyone ever really think this will go through? I mean, the people want it, but I just don't think our government would do what people want. They are more about control and... well controlling.
Never say never, but doubtful it'll happen. I think the way Washington State did it was a referendum. Pennsylvanians have no referendum power. So it's up to politicians. And that means nothing will get done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh