Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 09:33 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times

Advertisements

interesting thread that's relevant to all pennsylvanians. apparently the money argument is even bunk
www.freemybeer.com
Liberate beer sales in Pennsylvania please

maybe it's time to take it down
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
[LEFT]"We do not need to tear down a system that works, provides good paying, middle class jobs, and generates essential revenue for the state as the governor is proposing. We need to improve that system to the benefits of consumers while continuing to benefit from the important resources and public health protections the system provides today," said state Sen. Jim Ferlo, D-Highland Park.

Read more: Corbett proposes selling liquor stores to raise education funds - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
[/LEFT]

Old 01-30-2013, 01:07 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,090,351 times
Do it, now!

Old 01-30-2013, 01:09 PM

281 posts, read 340,507 times
I agree 100% with Sen. Ferlo. Improve the existing system to the extent that's needed, rather than replacing the current employees with minimum-wage, no-benefits jobs. Corbett's trying to do a whole lot of things based on misguided conservative ideology and/or favoring big business interests.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:12 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
At least this guy is trying to break that monopoly up. Will be interesting, but I doubt it will go anywhere. Good angle on benefiting kids. If Corbett can pull this off somehow, he will gain in popularity that is for sure.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:21 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,571,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw_now_what View Post
I agree 100% with Sen. Ferlo. Improve the existing system to the extent that's needed, rather than replacing the current employees with minimum-wage, no-benefits jobs. Corbett's trying to do a whole lot of things based on misguided conservative ideology and/or favoring big business interests.
An unconvincing argument which gains nothing by repetition. If our chief concern in PA is "good jobs", then maintaining an almost universally despised state monopoly is hardly the way to go about it.

If we're worried about high-wage jobs, then raise the minimum wage for everybody, not just the favored few who are lucky or well-connected enough to land a PLCB job. Or use the authority of the state to encourage job growth, not to maintain an antediluvian quasi-prohibition.

If we're worried about benefits, then provide incentives for retirement savings for everybody. Take the ACA and build on it to provide decent health insurance for every Pennsylvanian, not just the cashier who bags my cabernet sauvignon.

This has nothing to do with conservative ideology except to the extent that state Democratic politicians intend to sell out their constituents in order to protect a minority of union members. Pennsylvanians back privatization: Democratic Pennsylvanians, Republican Pennsylvanians and everyone in between.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:41 PM

1,714 posts, read 2,358,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
At least this guy is trying to break that monopoly up. Will be interesting, but I doubt it will go anywhere. Good angle on benefiting kids. If Corbett can pull this off somehow, he will gain in popularity that is for sure.

But it sounds like breaking up a resource for a one-time gain. I don't even like the idea of the liquor stores, but it makes money.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
But it sounds like breaking up a resource for a one-time gain. I don't even like the idea of the liquor stores, but it makes money.
actually, it's not very profitable. most of the money the state gets comes from the 18% johnstown flood tax not from net income from store operations. add to it that a large portion of the state lives near a border with a state that has more rational system, there is significant border bleed. all told, you're likely to make up for it both in increased sales as well as increased income taxes.

Ferlo is a liar, there's no need to "improve the system" which is a lie in itself to protect the union. squarian is exactly right. in some ways, putting the wine and liquor money into schools actually would work to boost wages in the long term.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:01 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,962,766 times
I believe that it is Democrats and socially conservative Republicans from the Pannsylvania T who are against privatization. If it were just Democrats against this, it should have sailed through in the last two years since Republicans control the Governor's office and the Legislature.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:02 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
The MASSIVE taxes aren't going to disappear on booze. It isn't like the state will give up much revenue. If they need to they will just raise alcohol taxes again and again, like they do anyway. I hope it goes through, but have about 1% of hope it will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh