Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 04:16 PM

22,253 posts, read 47,174,114 times

Advertisements

Dellalo's used to take in all the near-expired meats that were rounded up from Giant Eagle and other grocery stores....
and then keep them until they sold.

Yes... low price, but the quality very suspect!
I never buy lunchmeat there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 07:16 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,670,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
You know, there is a decent case to be made that Erie more falls into the Great Lakes region than whatever we want to call the region in which Pittsburgh is located.

I think a case study is in order.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:36 PM

226 posts, read 586,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Absolutely. In fact here is a Wikipedia entry basically supporting that notion:

Pittsburgh Tri-State - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I'm not sure they make a convincing case that "Pittsburghia" extends to the city limits of Cleveland and Buffalo. I remember seeing awhile back a map of the US showing the extent to which people noted the major metropolitan area with which they identified (i.e., people in Delaware said "DC" and people in Harrisburg said "Philly"). I seem to remember Pittburgh having a pretty large 'sphere of influence,' but Erie identifying with Buffalo and Youngstown with Cleveland.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:11 AM

868 posts, read 1,558,469 times
For such a large area, the Pittsburgh region does lack in the grocery store department.

Someone mentioned Publix. When we lived in FL, Publix ruled! It should be a model for grocery stores everywhere. Although they were pricier, I didn't mind it because it was a pleasant experience. I noticed them on a trip to the Gulf of Mexico beaches last summer and we stopped at a few on the way (apparently they have expanded further north into AL) and frequented them while in vacationing in FL. I don't think I've ever stepped into a bad Publix.

Giant Eagle...uughh. I have been to several in the region, including ones in OH and WV, and I just cannot find what I want or the stores only have a few registers open. Also they are kind of pricy and overall not a pleasant experience. Although the one outside of Washington, PA is probably one of the better ones.

Kroger needs to return to the region. They are all over OH and most of WV. Most of those stores are pretty nice and have good bargains while all in an unpretentious atomsphere. Giant Eagle needs to focus more on groceries, not those silly cafes or food bars.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:47 AM

12 posts, read 24,302 times
i love that i found a stream on here about grocery stores..i used to think it was weird to admit that i love grocery shopping and checking out different stores...i grew up in pa(erie..which sucked and north pittsburgh area)..i found it CRAZY how much cheaper food is out here..i live in arizona now...goodyear to be exact..phoenix suburba..today i paid 1 75 for a gallon of milk..my grocery costs are 40 percent of what they were in pa..old man penn would be furious im sure of it!

Old 01-21-2010, 02:55 AM

1,104 posts, read 2,578,873 times
The way I see it, with Giant Eagle tinkering with the various formats such as the traditional Giant Eagle, the upscale Market District, the convenience-oriented GetGo and its newest format, Giant Eagle Express, which is simply a larger format of the GetGo convenience store, I think it's a fact that they are trying new ideas to see what works in each store, what the market demands and how to stay competitive with other stores from Shop n Save and Walmart to Whole Foods and even Sheetz.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:45 AM

354 posts, read 472,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwrobl17 View Post
i love that i found a stream on here about grocery stores..i used to think it was weird to admit that i love grocery shopping and checking out different stores...i grew up in pa(erie..which sucked and north pittsburgh area)..i found it CRAZY how much cheaper food is out here..i live in arizona now...goodyear to be exact..phoenix suburba..today i paid 1 75 for a gallon of milk..my grocery costs are 40 percent of what they were in pa..old man penn would be furious im sure of it!
This is pretty much my experience so far, in reverse. In Southern California, my food bills where probably about 60% of what they are here. One reason is probably easier produce supply, but a much bigger portion was competion. We had Albertson's, Ralph', Von's, Stater Brothers, Food-for-Less, etc etc; they were constantly having sales, price wars, and such to try to get people in, and none were any worse in quality, selection, or cleanliness than Giant Eagle stores (usually better in fact). The same price discrepancy also holds true for beer, but of course thats a whole different topic .

Old 01-21-2010, 07:58 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,614,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwrobl17 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faer View Post
This is pretty much my experience so far, in reverse. In Southern California, my food bills where probably about 60% of what they are here. One reason is probably easier produce supply, but a much bigger portion was competion. We had Albertson's, Ralph', Von's, Stater Brothers, Food-for-Less, etc etc; they were constantly having sales, price wars, and such to try to get people in, and none were any worse in quality, selection, or cleanliness than Giant Eagle stores (usually better in fact). The same price discrepancy also holds true for beer, but of course thats a whole different topic .
We might have a low cost of living due to low real estate prices, but food and utility prices are a problem in this region. When I hear how much cheaper food is elsewhere, I seriously contemplate relocating to an area with milder weather (lower utilities) and better food prices. I'm trying to formulate our retirement plan and I just can't see staying in Pittsburgh. Sure, we could afford it, but why waste money if it's cheaper to live in another town. There are plenty of places in the United States that are more affordable than Pittsburgh. Those areas might not have the job opportunities like Pittsburgh, but jobs won't matter once we retire.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:25 PM

15,108 posts, read 27,555,479 times
Speaking as a former Pittsburgher and now a Northern Virginian: food prices are lower, gasoline is usually also, but housing is more so you have to take all things into consideration. I still don't understand why there aren't more grocery chains in Pgh., as someone stated, we also have quite a few so the competition drives down the prices. It hurts me to see how much grocery stores in PA (and WV for that matter) charge, especially w/the difference in incomes, unemployment, etc.

Old 01-22-2010, 01:49 PM

6,596 posts, read 8,911,394 times
Is there really that much of a lack of variety in grocery stores where most of you live? From my place in Bloomfield I could walk or drive to a Shur-Save, Shop N Save (more than one), Giant Eagle (more than one), wal*mart, and save-a-lot all within a very reasonable amount of time.

I don't think the problem is a lack of variety, but maybe a lack of quality competition to Giant Eagle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh